Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Drugs - What Have Taken?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

LivetoGive wrote: »
    I made a pie chart to represent the results because the percentages being over 9000 make it hard to visualize (for me at least)

I multiplied the 'none of the above' result by 4 (making it 84 instead of 21) to try and get a more accurate picture of the population as a whole. The reason I did so was; 1) to compensate for a lot of the results being inflated by multiple votes coming from the same person, 2) most of the boardsies who would be interested in this thread have taken one or more drugs.

I can't figure out how to make it appear on the thread as a picture, check out the attachment!

This makes no sense, and your explanation of it makes even less. You can't just decide to quadruple one answer, (why x4 for a start, why not x5 or x8.93?) and somehow claim this is to make the survey more accurate.:confused: And if you can only vote once, how have some people voted more than that? :confused::confused: And why on earth would anyone need the option to vote for various drugs AND none of the above?:confused::confused::confused:
    I'm gonna have to assume you were high as a weather balloon when you thought this one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 LivetoGive

You can take it or leave it, my method and explanations make perfect sense, I have no patience for nit-pickers and people who cannot understand simple maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

You can take it or leave it, my method and explanations make perfect sense, I have no patience for nit-pickers and people who cannot understand simple maths.

Yet you can't explain it, and no one has agreed with your 'simple maths' yet. I can only assume you're talkin complete rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Youghal eh... didn't I hear somewhere recently that Cork city and county have seen one of the highest rises in levels of heroin abuse over the past couple of years?

Nine bars and 50 bags are not the problem here... start showing people heroin and it's paraphenelia and the disasterous consequences addiction can have on communities and levels of crime.

Trouble with cannabis is it's easily detectable and in widespread use so make an easy target for law enforcement. It's also a relatively large money maker and that's the main reason it's targetted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I made a pie chart to represent the results because the percentages being over 9000 make it hard to visualize (for me at least)

I multiplied the 'none of the above' result by 4 (making it 84 instead of 21) to try and get a more accurate picture of the population as a whole. The reason I did so was; 1) to compensate for a lot of the results being inflated by multiple votes coming from the same person, 2) most of the boardsies who would be interested in this thread have taken one or more drugs.

I can't figure out how to make it appear on the thread as a picture, check out the attachment!

Do you get paid to do statistical analysis?

• Advertisement

These threads are all the same: people willingly admit to committing crimes in order to extend their e-penises, people get thanks for saying 'I would never take illegal drugs!' as if it's something admirable, the Irish stereotypes whine about how drugs (not their prohibition or any other social factors) are ruining their area and only a few sensible people know what they're talking about.

Welcome to Ireland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

The issue of overlap between people who have used various drugs cannot be solved by simply multiplying the none of the above percentage and sticking it all on a pie chart. This skews the statistics and represents them in an incompatible form. Your pie chart indicates about the same % of the population have used none of the drugs as have used cannabis, this is not correct.

I can see how it is difficult to conceptualise but a pie chart is not suitable to represent this kind of data due to the overlap of users of different drugs. Something like a stacked bar chart for example would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I like you, you make me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Herp derp i didn't 'randomly' multiply anything, read it again.

And if you cannot understand how people can 'vote twice' then I can't really help you. All I'll say is, someone can select multiple drugs on the list, but nobody selected multiple drugs AND 'none of the above'

Come on people, use your head! I shouldn't have to explain these things.

Eh, obviously, because its a one-or-the-other scenario. You cannot just multiply a statistic because you think it makes it more likely.

If you want to do it properly, you need to rename 'none of the above' to simply 'none' and re-work the percentages using the actual amount of votes cast for each substance.

Regardless if people picked a number of the options outside of 'none of the above' the value still holds true, because an individual can obviously have tried more than one of the substances listed.

It would be out of X number of people that voted, 21% have not tried any drugs. Out of the remaining 79% of votes, here is the breakdown of substances tried by people in this poll.

The number that voted 'none' cannot suddenly change because an individual tried more than 1 substance.

Eh, obviously, because its a one-or-the-other scenario. You cannot just multiply a statistic because you think it makes it more likely.

If you want to do it properly, you need to rename 'none of the above' to simply 'none' and re-work the percentages using the actual amount of votes cast for each substance.

Regardless if people picked a number of the options outside of 'none of the above' the value still holds true, because an individual can obviously have tried more than one of the substances listed.

It would be out of X number of people that voted, 21% have not tried any drugs. Out of the remaining 79% of votes, here is the breakdown of substances tried by people in this poll.

The number that voted 'none' cannot suddenly change because an individual tried more than 1 substance.

Plus you cannot apply the results of a thread on boards.ie to the general population in any way shape or form. Completely different demographics to the national ones.

The post in question hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Plus you cannot apply the results of a thread on boards.ie to the general population in any way shape or form. Completely different demographics to the national ones.

The whole point of a poll, is to take a sample of the population, and extrapolate that data (providing you have enough data) to the general populous.

Sure, it might not be exact, but I'd bet it would give you a pretty good assumptive figure.

Anyway, multiplying 'none of the above' by 4, would assume that everyone else who did not vote for that option, chose 4 of the substances. Thats a MASSIVE assumption to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

These threads are all the same: people willingly admit to committing crimes in order to extend their e-penises, people get thanks for saying 'I would never take illegal drugs!' as if it's something admirable, the Irish stereotypes whine about how drugs (not their prohibition or any other social factors) are ruining their area and only a few sensible people know what they're talking about.

Welcome to Ireland. :pac:

In keeping with the spirit of the poll, i wish to multiply my e-penis by 4 as i feel that provides a more accurate representation of my general studliness:D

The whole point of a poll, is to take a sample of the population, and extrapolate that data (providing you have enough data) to the general populous.

Sure, it might not be exact, but I'd bet it would give you a pretty good assumptive figure.

Indeed it is, but you also need to be reasonable careful about who you ask.

This would be in no way accurate because boards.ie is in no way an accurate representation of Ireland's population.

As such, any extrapolation would be hugely flawed.

Anyway, multiplying 'none of the above' by 4, would assume that everyone else who did not vote for that option, chose 4 of the substances. Thats a MASSIVE assumption to make.

The sample in this poll is neither random nor representative of the general population of Ireland, so it cannot really be used to draw conclusions in that respect, though it may be possible to extrapolate the results to the general Boards userbase.

Also, while multiplying none of the above by 4 is faulty logic, the actual number 4 is correct and is not an assumption. By excluding those who voted for none of the above, the remainder of those voting in the poll on average chose four options.

penguin88 wrote: »
    The issue of overlap between people who have used various drugs cannot be solved by simply multiplying the none of the above percentage and sticking it all on a pie chart. This skews the statistics and represents them in an incompatible form. Your pie chart indicates about the same % of the population have used none of the drugs as have used cannabis, this is not correct.

I can see how it is difficult to conceptualise but a pie chart is not suitable to represent this kind of data due to the overlap of users of different drugs. Something like a stacked bar chart for example would be more suitable.

lmao OMG can't anyone see by looking at this stacked bar chart that I was right to multiply it by 4?!? I mean you say yourself that 'Your pie chart indicates about the same % of the population have used none of the drugs as have used cannabis' yet you fail to realise your bar chart shows the exact same thing! Plus would that really be so hard to believe? Quite frankly I would be surprised to find otherwise.
    Eh, obviously, because its a one-or-the-other scenario.

YES, obviously, but apparently I now have to explain the obvious several times for the general population to understand anything.
    re-work the percentages using the actual amount of votes cast for each substance.

Actually, that's exactly what I have done.

Explain to me how 'none of the above' in my pie chart is not 21% of the whole.

I am loosing my faith in humanity here, I thought you were smarter than this!

And you sir, have not a baldy what you are blabbing about.

Actually it is assuming that everyone who didn't vote for 'none' voted, on average for 4 substances. Which is PERFECTLY reasonable.

Now can you all please take a deep breath, have a good think, and just bloody agree with me already, because you know I am right and if I had just entered the value at 21% originally, making it smaller than LSD, far more of you (and the same people) would be trying just as hard to nit-pick.

Seems some of you are only out to try prove people wrong. Either that or you are blissfully unaware of logic and how to use it.

The sample in this poll is neither random nor representative of the general population of Ireland, so it cannot really be used to draw conclusions in that respect, though it may be possible to extrapolate the results to the general Boards userbase.

Also, while multiplying none of the above by 4 is faulty logic, the actual number 4 is correct and is not an assumption. By excluding those who voted for none of the above, the remainder of those voting in the poll on average chose four options.

Omg, is that, some finally... agreeing with me? :eek:

And you sir, have not a baldy what you are blabbing about.

Sorry, i am not wrong.

It's foolish to try and apply the findings of this chart to the general populace and that is all I am saying.

But hey, I did this kind of thing and got paid for it for nearly a decade...so what do i know?

so what do i know?

Not a whole lot evidently.

lmao OMG can't anyone see by looking at this stacked bar chart that I was right to multiply it by 4?!? I mean you say yourself that 'Your pie chart indicates about the same % of the population have used none of the drugs as have used cannabis' yet you fail to realise your bar chart shows the exact same thing! Plus would that really be so hard to believe? Quite frankly I would be surprised to find otherwise.

No, if you look carefully at my chart, you will see I have changed the none of the above option to any of the above in an attempt to make it easier to conceptualise by having those who have used each drug as the bottom (blue) end of the bar, while on the right those who haven't used each drug (or any drug) on the top (red) end.
    Now can you all please take a deep breath, have a good think, and just bloody agree with me already, because you know I am right and if I had just entered the value at 21% originally, making it smaller than LSD, far more of you (and the same people) would be trying just as hard to nit-pick.

Seems some of you are only out to try prove people wrong. Either that or you are blissfully unaware of logic and how to use it.
    Omg, is that, some finally... agreeing with me? :eek:

Look, you are trying to represent something on a pie chart that cannot be done. By preserving the proportion of non users in your chart by multiplying by 4, you are skewing the rest of the data.

Why does your chart show a larger segment of non users than LSD users, when the poll shows more people have taken LSD than those who have taken none of the above (350 vs 268)?

Why does it also show equal segments for non users and cannabis users when the poll shows there are far more cannabis users (977 vs 268)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Why does your chart show a larger segment of non users than LSD users, when the poll shows more people have taken LSD than those who have taken none of the above (350 vs 268)?

Why does it also show equal segments for non users and cannabis users when the poll shows there are far more cannabis users (977 vs 268)?

Well the poll is on drugs......:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

The most recent one I took was DMT, mind-blowing, but found it very hard to remember the whole experience.

What I do remember was going through a star gate type thing which put my in this crazy dimension where I was talking to these weird alien looking things.

worth a shot though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

If alcohol was part of this poll ( it is a drug) im sure it'd have 100% :) have yet to met someone saying they havnt tried it at least once in their life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

pudzey101 wrote: »
    If alcohol was part of this poll ( it is a drug) im sure it'd have 100% :) have yet to met someone saying they havnt tried it at least once in their life :P
    The thread title is rather unambiguously named "Illegal drugs - what have you taken?"

Not a whole lot evidently.

More than you, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

kjl wrote: »
    The most recent one I took was DMT, mind-blowing, but found it very hard to remember the whole experience.

What I do remember was going through a star gate type thing which put my in this crazy dimension where I was talking to these weird alien looking things.

worth a shot though

I have been dying to try DMT since i seen that video posted in conspiracy theory's forum look's like real trippy ****.

kjl wrote: »

worth a shot though

A lot of people report that experience on DMT actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Uh oh I ticked all but the last. What does that say about me? Doesn't even mention prescription drugs like Zimmovane or diazepam or dalmane. :eek:

Plenty of others not included too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

SteoL wrote: »

Threads so old theres probably been quite a few invented since it started.

an aul joint dipped in formaldehyde is a delicious treat

:o;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    SteoL wrote: »

Threads so old theres probably been quite a few invented since it started.

D'oh! Never bothered checking the dates and Realise it not good etiquette to drag up old threads. My bad and apologies :(

Advertisement