Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Drugs - What Have Taken?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

penguin88 wrote: »
    Oh I know.

The results are what they are, but there are faults to the system used as the authors stated (they are in the process I believe of publishing a more comprehensive method of assessing harm using category weightings, which should prove interesting). The way that list is bandied about, it seems people treat it as gospel.

It seems as though you may have missed the part of the paper stating that "direct comparison of the scores for tobacco and alcohol with those of the other drugs is not possible"...

Either way, you're being pedantic.

Both alcohol and cigarettes will remain on the list, even when using a new testing methodology.

The list, while maybe not 100% accurate, still serves its purpose of showing which drugs are the most harmful.

From the first list, it really doesn't matter what order they're placed, all can be very dangerous, in the wrong situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Either way, you're being pedantic.

Both alcohol and cigarettes will remain on the list, even when using a new testing methodology.

The list, while maybe not 100% accurate, still serves its purpose of showing which drugs are the most harmful.

From the first list, it really doesn't matter what order they're placed, all can be very dangerous, in the wrong situations.

Not being pedantic at all, just putting the results in the context you seem to be ignoring.
    Tobacco and alcohol were included because their
    extensive use has provided reliable data on their risks and
    harms, providing familiar benchmarks against which the
    absolute harms of other drugs can be judged. However,
    direct comparison of the scores for tobacco and alcohol
    with those of the other drugs is not possible since the fact
    that they are legal could aff ect their harms in various
    ways, especially through easier availability.

Of course alcohol and tobacco use is dangerous, however the harm they cause is difficult to directly compare to illegal drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Jev/N wrote: »
    LOL, so many misconceptions

Such as?

I've no problem with you disagreeing with me but you could at least clarfy what you mean?

I can't see any misconceptions......

And yes I've acknowledged that I drink now and then and that alcohol is a drug and it can be dangerous so don't bother going there because I've dealt with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Does "illegal drugs" include drugs currently illegal in Ireland but which were legal at the time and/or place consumed ?

What about Poitin (or local equivalents) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

They're all freely purchasable on the high street!

Thats terrible and should be stopped right away....er, what house number on the high street did you say?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I didn't know poppers were illegal. I had a gay flatmate once who used to enjoy sniffing that stuff. Made him fall around laughing it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I didn't know poppers were illegal. I had a gay flatmate once who used to enjoy sniffing that stuff. Made him fall around laughing it did.

I don't think they are illegal. Illogical some would say but not illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Would've done loads of acid, speed and E back in the early 90's. used the cannabis and poppers too........
    Had great fun and looking back now I wouldn't change a thing and honestly I've gotten into worse states when drunk.....
    Don't do any drugs now as the rave scene transformed into the night-time feeding scene once the babies came along and the nights out became nights in.....

That said, cocaine wasn't about in my day as it is now and the drugs we used weren't addictive like cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Would've done loads of acid, speed and E back in the early 90's. used the cannabis and poppers too........
    Had great fun and looking back now I wouldn't change a thing and honestly I've gotten into worse states when drunk.....
    Don't do any drugs now as the rave scene transformed into the night-time feeding scene once the babies came along and the nights out became nights in.....

That said, cocaine wasn't about in my day as it is now and the drugs we used weren't addictive like cocaine.

I've done crap loads of coke, and I'm not addicted.

You'd want to have some serious money to be/get addicted to coke, and be doing a lot of it, every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gnomercy

You'd want to have some serious money to be/get addicted to coke, and be doing a lot of it, every day.

I prefer Pepsi

• Advertisement

See whats even happened with me.....
    I haven't done coke and can only go by media reports that I read about it, same for E back in my day when all our parents were believing that u could die after 1..

I shouldn't have done that, sorry......

Actually could all the smack and crack heads please come forward now as there are some posters whom I've always suspected of being off their heads when posting......Thank you:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Never took any illeqal drug and I never intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

all our parents were believing that u could die after 1..

People have died after taking one "Ecstasy" pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

where is ketamine???

Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

my favourite drugs

an hours walk in sunshine
    a swim
    a movie
    company of friends
    coffee
    being hang over free especially on sunday mornings

et al etcetera

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

moonpurple wrote: »
    my favourite drugs

a swim
    a movie
    company of friends
    coffee

et al etcetera
    Min wrote: »
    Never took any illeqal drug and I never intend to.

and the awards for best human beings go to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

why no option for meth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bridgetbyrne

All drugs are good in moderation!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

my favourite drugs

a swim
    a movie
    company of friends
    coffee

et al etcetera
    All more fun on drugs.

my favourite drugs

Mine used to be 32 decades of the rosary every evening, but now I find you can't beat the rush of getting up in the morning and running naked around the garden shouting 'HELLO AGAIN MISTER GOLDEN SUN". Life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

All bar one of em:pac::P:o:):D:eek::confused::(:mad::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

huh?
    Drugs have vastly improved my life experience. I feel sorry for people who will overlook such an enriching life experience based on the ignorance and scaremongering of people that are probably as dead as the supposed science they based their arguments on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ScumLord wrote: »
    Drugs have vastly improved my life experience. I feel sorry for people who will overlook such an enriching life experience based on the ignorance and scaremongering of people that are probably as dead as the supposed science they based their arguments on.

How can heroin or coke or ecstacy or any other drug possibly enrich your life?

It's not ignorance or scaremongering it's fact. Drugs are dangerous in many different ways. They can damage health and ruin lives as well as kill.

By accessing usually little used or dormant parts of your mind & imagination which then filters back into your normal everyday life by broadening the way you perceive the world in general.
    It's not ignorance or scaremongering it's fact. Cars are dangerous in many different ways. They can damage health and ruin lives as well as kill.

I have changed one word......see how risky & dangerouis a car is but it really enhances your life and broadens your horizons by transporting you to places you have never been.......same thing with drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not ignorance or scaremongering it's fact. Drugs are dangerous in many different ways. They can damage health and ruin lives as well as kill.
    Well I haven't done Heroin and it's not really a recreational drug in that you can't really take it recreationally without ending up addicted. Ecstasy has enriched my life, as has weed, LSD/Shrooms Weed and Shrooms having the biggest effect.

Drugs have been behind allot of human art culture and science, we wouldn't be living in the world we're in now without drugs. That's a fact. Nothing allows you to explore your own mind like drugs do. They helped me realise that what I think isn't fact, what I see and hear may not be true, the brain can make up things and everything you experience is just one way of seeing things. I'm much happier in my roll as just another living thing now that drugs have destroyed the concept that it's me against the world.

ScumLord wrote: »
    , LSD/Shrooms Weed and Shrooms having the biggest effect.

Heres a recent post of mine you may find interesting.

Doors of perception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gnomercy

I have changed one word......see how risky & dangerouis a car is but it really enhances your life and broadens your horizons by transporting you to places you have never been.......same thing with drugs.

You cant get hooked on cars, they dont alter your mind and make you think there's demons in your eyes and make you take your eye out with a screwdriver, they dont make you violent, they dont make your septum fall out if you keep using them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Gnomercy wrote: »
    You cant get hooked on cars, they dont alter your mind and make you think there's demons in your eyes and make you take your eye out with a screwdriver, they dont make you violent, they dont make your septum fall out if you keep using them.
    Ecstasy users reading this post will no doubt be nodding their heads solemnly in recognition of the all-too-familiar scenarios you've described.

Advertisement