Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glenfiddich 12

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Hi

i got a present of glenfiddich 12 from a friend recently.
    its a duty free bottle, @43% instead of the usual 40%..
    i've never tried glenfiddich,

any advice

Comments

Very nice whisky, had a bottle two years ago. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Don't know what advice we can give you - premium whiskey, lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very nice whisky. I won a bottle at a table quiz a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

pa990 wrote: »
    Hi

i got a present of glenfiddich 12 from a friend recently.
    its a duty free bottle, @43% instead of the usual 40%..
    i've never tried glenfiddich,

any advice

An easy to approach whisky, to be quite honest it is fairly bog standard as far as Single Malt Scotch whisky goes but nothing wrong with it .... the only advice is to open it up, drink and enjoy ;)

If you are wondering about the 43% it just means that it may be slightly more flavourful and a slightl bit more of a kick than the 40% however it is still chill filtered so would not be too far in taste from the 40% version. If it was Non Chill filtered (NCF) it would be a different beast altogether but would need to be 46% and over for that ;-)

If you are not used to drinking whisky feel free to add water to break it down to a more acceptable level to your palate. This will reduce that burn that some people feel with whisk(e)y. But how much will depend on your own taste and you may not need to at all. Start with very small amounts until you are happy with it. After you get used to whisky you may not need to add as mauch as you used to. WHisk(e)y can have strong taste profiles and you may need to acclimatise your palate to it.

At the end of the day don't get overly fussed about how you drink your whiskey. If you like it a certain way then do it. Each individual can only drink a whisky in their own personal way ... if you want to add Coke go ahead feel free. However experiment on straight whiskey too as the maximum enjoyment of the drink can only be got that way as you learn to break down the different charachteristics of a whisky. But nothing wrong in adding a mixed if you don't "get it" straigh away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

if you want to add Coke go ahead feel free.

Must.....resist.....the....ban button ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Bought some for a friend recently when going on holidays

it is nice stuff, it is easy to drink straight so give that a go and see what you think

it will give you an idea how you will get on with more flavourful stuff

Des wrote: »
    Must.....resist.....the....ban button ;):p

I know Des with you there ... but I try to resist mentioning that a drink should be drank in a certian way. I drink the majority of my whisk(e)y straight even at cask strength (50-60%) However a slight drop of water can open up a whiskey even more.

At the end of the day even if I think it is sacrilege ;) people should feel free to have their drink their own way. Ice or mixers even.

True, mixers maybe for the night club but if you can't get past the harsh taste which whiskey can be for some it is a way to get aclimatised to the drink.

Ice actually dulls the taste profile of a whiskey just like drinking a cold pint. Whiskey is at it's best at room temp as it expands it's taste profile and this can be done just by warming the glass of whiskey in your hand. Not easy with those clumsey whiskey tumblers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

coke.. Are u mad..

An ice cube, or a drop of water is as much as i'd contaminate whisky with

pa990 wrote: »
    coke.. Are u mad..

An ice cube, or a drop of water is as much as i'd contaminate whisky with

Glad to hear it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Glad to hear it ;)

I enjoy blaspheming, so I enjoy a dash of ginger ale in whiskey. Or even with Scotch, I sometimes drop a cube of ice in the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Awesome, I'm drinking a glass of it right now, no ice, no nothing.

It's ok if you ask me, I'm not a whiskey nut but I got a bottle of the Red Breast 12 the other day and I prefer it to the Glenfiddich

Nulty wrote: »
    Awesome, I'm drinking a glass of it right now, no ice, no nothing.

It's ok if you ask me, I'm not a whiskey nut but I got a bottle of the Red Breast 12 the other day and I prefer it to the Glenfiddich

Great to hear ... Redbreast is an amazing whiskey and I like you would place it well above the Glenfiddich any day

Advertisement