Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopover in Singapore

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Well, I have to fly home from NZ this weekend and this is my itinerary:
    Departing:Christchurch(CHC - Christchurch Intl Terminal M) on Sat, 19 Jun 2010, 1050 hrs
    Arriving:Singapore(SIN - Changi Intl) on Sat, 19 Jun 2010, 1745 hrs
    Flight:SQ298 (B777-200/200ER) Economy Class

Departing:Singapore(SIN - Changi Intl Terminal 3) on Sun, 20 Jun 2010, 1245 hrs
    Arriving:London(LHR - Heathrow) on Sun, 20 Jun 2010, 1910 hrs
    Flight:SQ318 (A380-800) Economy Class

So i have ~18 hour stopover in singapore, looking for suggestions on where to stay etc. Has anyone stayed in the airport for that long, or is this madness?:confused:

Also, can i get my checked luggage back on the stopover?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

book into the swissotel stamford for the night, get a taxi in, and a good nights sleep, a brekky buffet, and on with ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Stay in The Inn Crowd Hostel on Dunlop Street, Little India. Free internet, dvds and breakfast. They also run an airport pick-up and delivery which is something cheap like $7 each way. Very reliable and nice modern hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Claasman wrote: »
    Well, I have to fly home from NZ this weekend and this is my itinerary:

So i have ~18 hour stopover in singapore, looking for suggestions on where to stay etc. Has anyone stayed in the airport for that long, or is this madness?:confused:

Also, can i get my checked luggage back on the stopover?

Thanks

You may not be able to leave the airport at all. I know years ago I had a really long stopover in Hong Kong and couldn’t leave the airport. Generally if you have booked it all with the one company they will transfer your bags straight to the other plain for you, so you can’t collect your bags. If you can take a change of clothes with you in you’re carry on luggage. (I wish I had done this on my way back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and suspect that the people I was sitting next to on the flight did too.)

You are lucky you’re stopover is in Singapore as Changi Airport is one of the best airports in which to be killing time, you can use the pool of the Ambassador Transit Hotel for about $10. The fee includes a towel, shower facilities and a cold drink. Changi Airport also has two free movie theatres and free internet or wi-fi access.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Man you should have given yourself a few days. Are you broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

jank wrote: »
    Man you should have given yourself a few days. Are you broke?

What do ya mean? A few days in singapore? Not really interested in doing the backpacker/tourist thing. Just wanted to get back home asap, becuase I start a new job in QLD in a few weeks.
    Singapore was the cheapest by ~ 500 dollars and could fly the soonest. This stopover could be a pain though...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah leaving the airport usually involves need a visitor's visa for the country you're in. Some airlines sort that out for you but if not you'll have to stay in the airport. I have no idea how hard it would be to get a visitor's visa for Singapore, but basically if you want to leave the airport, you need to have whatever is required for you to clear immigration.

Since you're flying through Changi, you can book time in the Ambassador Transit Hotel in the airport without having to clear immigration - you book in a block of six hours and could then extend your booking by the hour so maybe 10-12 hours in the hotel for a sleep, shower and DVD for instance, then you could spend the rest wandering through the airport shops and doing the various other things you have to do to check in at the airport for your onward journey and so on.

http://athmg.com/

Advertisement