Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivory Coast vs Portugal (Group G - Tuesday - 3:00pm - RTE/ITV)

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Wait, Greece were not awful, they were quite brilliant in how they won in 2004 :confused:

And obv the same goes for Italy in 06, a team that played quality football, conceded two goals in the entire tournament (one an own goal and the other a debatable penalty in the final), but that wasn't good enough for some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Paltry?? :) Or did you mean:

Was thinking more along the lines of this to describe the two teams:

headlesschicken.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wait, Greece were not awful, they were quite brilliant in how they won in 2004 :confused:

And obv the same goes for Italy in 06, a team that played quality football, conceded two goals in the entire tournament (one an own goal and the other a debatable penalty in the final), but that wasn't good enough for some people?

Greece in 2004 had a plan like this...11 men behind the ball for 95% of the game, using brute force and negative tactics to steal a goal from a set-piece. None of their players were at a high level, it was a victory for tactics over skill. A dark day for football I thought.

A team like Greece winning means that a team like Brazil or Spain (capable of dazzling entertaining football) might trade in their beliefs and heritage to play so called "winning" football. Teams like Greece also are hardly likely to make a 10 year old boy run outside and recreate what they have just seen. Football would die a painful death if everybody played the Greek way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Greece in 2004 had a plan like this...11 men behind the ball for 95% of the game, using brute force and negative tactics to steal a goal from a set-piece. None of their players were at a high level, it was a victory for tactics over skill. A dark day for football I thought.

A team like Greece winning means that a team like Brazil or Spain (capable of dazzling entertaining football) might trade in their beliefs and heritage to play so called "winning" football. Teams like Greece also are hardly likely to make a 10 year old boy run outside and recreate what they have just seen. Football would die a painful death if everybody played the Greek way.

Amazing with Ireland's tactics in 1990 and every Irish kid wanted to be out playing football.

Are 10yr olds that critical of the nuances of the tactical side of football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Very disappointed with that match. I have a feeling though that once the opening round of matches are complete every side will know what they have to do to qualify and the quality will take off.

http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/15/ivorians-dominate-but-fail-to-break-down-portugal/

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Amazing with Ireland's tactics in 1990 and every Irish kid wanted to be out playing football.

Are 10yr olds that critical of the nuances of the tactical side of football?

That is just nit-picking. Other than Greeks, do you actually think anybody was thrilled or excited by their games in Euro 2004?

Of course kids are not looking at tactical nuances, but it is not as if I said they were either. Surely it is fairly obvious that they will want to replicate exciting, attacking players as opposed to teams who succeed due to a well-drilled defensive unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That is just nit-picking. Other than Greeks, do you actually think anybody was thrilled or excited by their games in Euro 2004?

Of course kids are not looking at tactical nuances, but it is not as if I said they were either. Surely it is fairly obvious that they will want to replicate exciting, attacking players as opposed to teams who succeed due to a well-drilled defensive unit.

Havn't read all your argument so could be picking this up wrongly, but defending is an art too in this sport. One of the best games I've watched in recent times was Inter v Barca in the CL Semi final when Inter parked the bus and just hoofed it, was a brilliant performance I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

2006 was a great World Cup. Germany 4-2 Costa Rica was a great start. England had a good 2-2 against Sweden. Spain were class in the groups. Argentina destroyed Serbia & Montenegro. The group stages were generally fairly high scoring matches. Plus the knockout stages were very eventful. Italys last gasp win against Australia, Argentina and Germanys post match brawl, the whole Ronaldo "winker" incident, Zidane carrying France past Spain and Brazil, Italy and Germanys semi final and then of course an extremely eventful.

This world cup so far, with the exception of Germanys performance, has been like watching Switzerland v Ukraine from 2006 on repeat with added vuvuzela.

However, dismissing this world cup as a disappointment already is fairly ridiculous considering neither of the two favourites have played yet.

Havn't read all your argument so could be picking this up wrongly, but defending is an art too in this sport. One of the best games I've watched in recent times was Inter v Barca in the CL Semi final when Inter parked the bus and just hoofed it, was a brilliant performance I thought.

Oh don't get me wrong I have complete admiration for great defending, I was in the pro-Inter camp (once United went) here during their run to the trophy. But Greece were a totally different kettle of fish to Inter. Inter were capable of playing like they did at home to Barca or away to Chelsea. When they had to defend, they did it well. But it was far from the only way they could play football.

Greece were just a one trick pony who had a bizarre month. France, Portugal and Spain demolished them but just could not score. It was bizarre and horrible to watch.

Anyway...this discussion has veered wildly from Portugal v Ivory Coast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0617/1224272742610.html
    Portugal want Ronaldo card overturned
    World Cup: Portugal have asked Fifa to cancel the yellow card Cristiano Ronaldo received in the World Cup game against the Ivory Coast, saying the forward merely tried to walk away after being tripped and insulted.

Ronaldo and Ivory Coast right back Guy Demel clashed off the ball in Tuesday's Group G match and were both booked by Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda.

"The Portuguese player was tripped and pushed near the Ivory Coast penalty box. As soon as he got up, he was surrounded by his opponents and then pushed and insulted," the Portuguese Football Federation said in a statement.

"Given these facts, there is a disparity in the showing of the cards, once the African player, who committed a foul received a yellow card, and the Portuguese player who simply tried to walk away from the situation received the same punishment," it added.

Television images showed Ronaldo also shouting at Demel and other players before being booked.

According to Fifa's rules for the World Cup, a player receives a one-match suspension after a second yellow card.

Portugal play North Korea on Monday and then face Brazil four days later.

Anyone see this match?

Is this true or did he dive?

"The Portuguese player was tripped and pushed near the Ivory Coast penalty box. As soon as he got up, he was surrounded by his opponents and then pushed and insulted," the Portuguese Football Federation said in a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone see this match?

Is this true or did he dive?

It would be brilliant if they overturned it.

And then gave a retrospective yellow for the dive he got Zokora booked for about 5 minutes previous.

Advertisement