Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60 kmh limit at Parkmore?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Got a nice letter from the boys in blue yesterday saying I was caught doing 74 in a 60kmh zone in Parkmore on the June bank holiday weekend. I remember seeing the camera van parked on the side of the road alright on the Callan road but it wasn't in a built up area so I would have been expecting the limit to be at least 80.

Can someone confirm that there is a 60kmh zone around Parkmore?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Parkmore is 60km, has been for years.

It has a fair amount of houses that are facing the road and also a number of roads coming out onto the main road so it would be lethal if it was 100km.

You expected the speed to be 80km, did you not look at the clearly visable signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

Cabaal wrote: »
    Parkmore is 60km, has been for years.

It has a fair amount of houses that are facing the road and also a number of roads coming out onto the main road so it would be lethal if it was 100km.

You expected the speed to be 80km, did you not look at the clearly visable signs?

Dang, didn't see the signs to be honest and usually I'd be vigilant enough where speed limits apply but that's fair enough, if there are signs there and I missed them then I'll take the hit. Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dang, didn't see the signs to be honest and usually I'd be vigilant enough where speed limits apply but that's fair enough, if there are signs there and I missed them then I'll take the hit. Thanks for the reply.

You;ll see the 100km/60km sign just before you meet the row of houses on your left as your driving towards Kilkenny, to be honest very few people keep within the 60km limit in tha area.

Although this has led to near misses as people try to pull in/out of their houses

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gorilla_ie

to be honest they are easy signs to miss .. they could do with being bigger ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angryman1111

Got a nice letter from the boys in blue yesterday saying I was caught doing 74 in a 60kmh zone in Parkmore on the June bank holiday weekend. I remember seeing the camera van parked on the side of the road alright on the Callan road but it wasn't in a built up area so I would have been expecting the limit to be at least 80.

Can someone confirm that there is a 60kmh zone around Parkmore?

hey i also got caught at parkmore on the bank holiday weekend where exactly is Parkmore in relation to kilkenny??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 martin08

I am really annoyed about this speed trap / entrapment zone. I was travelling to Kilkenny last Sunday morning and at 8.45am passed a speed camera van. As I had been travelling between 75 and 95km per hour in the 100km zone I though I was ok when passing the van. Got the fine in the post today doing 75 in a 60.
    This is the first time I have been caught and that is because I am so vigilant on the road. Anyway I have been in Kilkenny again ths week and still did not know there was a 60km zone in Parkmore. I am travelling to see this so obvious sign tomorrow with my own eyes. What are we supposed to do, crash into the dikes trying to read the speed signs on the roads. It's a disgrace and just another way of robbing money from our pockets. Anyway I am really pissed off. I was really proud of having 0 points.

Nobody minds a fair cop. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

martin08 wrote: »
    Anyway I have been in Kilkenny again ths week and still did not know there was a 60km zone in Parkmore. I am travelling to see this so obvious sign tomorrow with my own eyes. What are we supposed to do, crash into the dikes trying to read the speed signs on the roads.

I drive this road quite a bit - since this original thread started, signs lit with leds indicating the speed limit of 60kph has been installed at either end of the zone - how could you miss those :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Can't understand people complaining about being caught speeding. In my opinion, people who can't see these signs should not be driving. There's even signs to let you know it's a speed camera zone.

Hi Spocker

Maybe it's because when it's raining hard and the road is narrow and people like me have not travelled this road for 3/4 years we are concentrating hard on the road like we should be and not looking for the many tiny signs that are littered around the country.
    If I had seen or known there was a 60km speed limit on the road I can assure you I would not have been caught. I travel for a living and have passed 100,s of speed traps with no bother. Why because when I know the limit I keep within it. Down to I thought it was a 100km and was doing only 75km.

Won't get caught trere again though.

In reply to ft9. Knew I was in a speed camera zone. It's the 60km signs I did not see. As I said it was raining very hard I was doing 75km and being very careful. Keeping my eyes on the road like we are supposed to be doing with traffic coming against me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I think you missed my point - these signs are a couple of feet hight, about 6 or 8 feet off the ground, lit with a couple of hundred leds, directionally pointed at the driver; not small round ones.

Ill take a pic next time I'm passing on of them, to show you what I mean

I think there is confusion here between Parkmore and Shellumsrath.

Parkmore is the bad bends near Tennypark.
    Shellumsrath is closer to town just after the Callan Rd roundabout.

Both are 60km zones, with speed cameras in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I was doing just under 60km in the 60km zone on that road recently and got road rage from a lorry driver who was blowing his horn at me, this just past the Callan roundabout on Callan rd and in a built up area, clearly marked 60km.
    He proceeded to overtake me on a continuous white line while continuing to blow his horn.

When I reached Callan, he was stuck in front of me, thanks to a slow driver backing up traffic, I was happy for the lorry driver :pac:

ft9 wrote: »
    I think there is confusion here between Parkmore and Shellumsrath.

Parkmore is the bad bends near Tennypark.
    Shellumsrath is closer to town just after the Callan Rd roundabout.

Both are 60km zones, with speed cameras in operation.

The signs at Shellumsrath are still very very clear, they are in no way masked by trees or overgrowth....imho if a motorist claims they don't see them then they are simply not paying attention when driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

The signs at Shellumsrath are still very very clear, they are in no way masked by trees or overgrowth....imho if a motorist claims they don't see them then they are simply not paying attention when driving

To be fair it's probably one of the most signed speed camera area's in the country. What I hate is when you see a Speed Camera sign but no speed limit sign especially when you turn on to a road.

I completely agree. Was just clarifying the 2 zones for the sake of the thread as people seem to be mixed up between the 2.

It is very rare that I travel that road as I'm from down south, yet I still have noticed/know the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I read that improvements are scheduled for 2013 on that stretch of road, but it has been under discussion for nye on twenty years, so don't hold your breath.
    As for lorry drivers flashing because one is going at the so called legal limt, let em play with the lights and horns, they are not proper drivers just cowboy's, real ones would understand, in any case it is your money, your license, your insurance.
    If you come up from Clonmel, there is the grangemockler 50 limit, then nine mile house 50 limit, but not that well signed and then killamery 60 limit, which appears almost completely ignored, then parkmore, I abide by them all and have had said lorry driver's doing the most stupid things to pass.
    True the signs at parkmore are really the best on the whole road, you cannot not see them, you could close your eye's I guess, but it is a dagerous piece of road, before the limit was imposed it was quite frequent to see cars in the ditch who failed to take the bends, so it is now better from a safety point of view.
    The next problem is the Callan by pass especially school time what with traffic trying to get to the schools and those trying to get to the industrial estate.
    A flyover might help or even better an underpass, dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The van was at Parkmore this morning, Good to see the man was in his phone :D

Advertisement