Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shot blasted versus galvinised

• 15-06-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions on what finish to go with for a slatted shed I'm hoping to put up this year.
    Most quotes I've got so far are for a shot blasted and primed finish to the steel and galvinising is being quoted at around 2000euro extra. Just wondering if its worth the extra money, I'm sure alot of you have put up sheds under the grant era and how have you worked out with them? Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Just looking for some opinions on what finish to go with for a slatted shed I'm hoping to put up this year.
    Most quotes I've got so far are for a shot blasted and primed finish to the steel and galvinising is being quoted at around 2000euro extra. Just wondering if its worth the extra money, I'm sure alot of you have put up sheds under the grant era and how have you worked out with them? Thanks for the help

Definitely worth the extra money to get it galvanised. I have only one slatted shed that wasn't galvanised and I really regret it. Its up 12 years now and any steel that is in contact with manure or silage needs lots of care to prevent it from rusting. Have 2 other slatted sheds that were galvanised and the steel in them is like new - even on the shed that's 8 years old. As well as preventing rust, galvanising also means that the steel is very easy cleaned with the power washer when the cattle go out after the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

A real worthwhile thing to do also, is build up the concrete around the base of the metal uprights. This will keep all slurry and water away from the bottom of the metal. I've done this with simple timber casing around 4" high and 1' by 1' square. It works a treat. Slope the top of the concrete also.

Advertisement