Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide on Kitchen

• 15-06-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We're changing our kitchen and have decided to go for the foil wrapped kitchen but cannot decide on the best supplier.
    We've narrowed it down to 3 - Choice Kitchens, Cash & Carry Kitchens, (both in Ballybrit) and Rite Price Kitchens (Oranmore). I've come across a lot of positive comments about C&C but not much comment on the other 2.
    Anyone have any experience of these suppliers or any other suppliers in the general Galway area?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

You could also look at B&Q,theres one next to Dunnes in Salthill...friend got a kitchen there recently and she is very happy with it. They generally have a deal on and will also beat any other quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MoreOran

Hmm, found B&Q a bit pricey and not very helpful, a kind of take it or leave it attitude! C&C and Choice are pretty close in quality and price but Rite price seem to have slightly better quality and good on price.
    Now have to go looking for a granite top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

What about IKEA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 grainnek

in our previous home we got a cash and carry kitchen (red elder) and was very happy with the quality and price.In our new build we went for In kitchens and have to say that the actual finish was inferior to the cash and carry kitchen and we paid probably twice as much for it.

Just the little details but when your paying a good price you would expect a better finsih.
    Things i wasnt happy with were the pins they put into the presses to hold up the shelves...in cash and carry these where nice little chrome ones.IK gave us plastic ones,......did manage to get them to change them

Also with cash and carry those presses with glass on them where sealed inside....with IK it looks like the middle was just cut out and the glass stuck in....on the inside you can see the chip board around the edge of the glass (or what ever its mad of).

some of my kick boards have become loose

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

grainnek wrote: »
    in our previous home we got a cash and carry kitchen (red elder) and was very happy with the quality and price.In our new build we went for In kitchens and have to say that the actual finish was inferior to the cash and carry kitchen and we paid probably twice as much for it.

Just the little details but when your paying a good price you would expect a better finsih.
    Things i wasnt happy with were the pins they put into the presses to hold up the shelves...in cash and carry these where nice little chrome ones.IK gave us plastic ones,......did manage to get them to change them

Also with cash and carry those presses with glass on them where sealed inside....with IK it looks like the middle was just cut out and the glass stuck in....on the inside you can see the chip board around the edge of the glass (or what ever its mad of).

some of my kick boards have become loose

Stay away from InKitchens - it was expensive and we've had nothing but problems to the point where 'er indoors was literally in tears. I'm in half a mind to rip the lot out... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Nick

I am currently pricing with In Kitchens. Could you pm me with the problems you encountered.

Thanks
    Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

The one thing I would make sure of is that you are pricing like-with-like. In other words, one kitchen supplier might be pricing for vinyl and the other one solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am watching this thread with interest, as i am sick of my kitchen, it is tired and worn, alot needing doing, i am thinking of renewing the lot, but it will have to be within a budget,
    also thinking of one with dishwasher lifted off the floor for the sake of my back and also oven at eye level, along with those pull out cabinets with baskets for the food products

Hi Goat2,

Now is definitely a good time to change your kitchen. There are great deals to be had out there.

With regards the dishwasher and oven at eye level, its a really good idea if you have a bad back. Depending on the design of your kitchen, you can opt for tall units or studio height units. Studio height units look great in modern kitchens and are roughly come up level with the bottom of the wall units. They are also a great option in a small kitchen as they aren't as overpowering as full height tall units. Obviously your fridge freezer needs to be planned in and this may need to fit into a tall unit.

One other option for the dishwasher is to go for a dish drawer. They are usually just a 6 place setting for a single drawer or 12 place setting for a double drawer. Just Google Fisher Paykel and you will see a selection.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

seconded - the fisher paykel stuff is amazing, a bit pricey but youget what you pay for

• Advertisement

Yes they are a bit pricey but well worth it if you can afford one. There are other brands that do dish drawers so check them out.

I think a single dish drawer would be handy if you have a bad back. Only six place settings so that would have to be enough. If there is a few people in the house then it probably wouldn't be. I think they are around €799 for the single.

If you want to fit a dishwasher at eye level and also a tall fridge freezer and an eye level oven, then you will need three tall units. That's fine if you have the space for them but if its a small kitchen then it could be over powering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw a very nice 'drawer/shelf' unit in a friends house. The unit is only about 30cm wide and you pull it out like a vertical drawer on castors. There are baskets up it and you can store tins, jars and packets so that they are clearly visible.

I got so fed up with trying to find things in the base presses that I put in a shallow, tall press, made from a deep bookshelf and with doors on it. I made a bottom section tall enough to put in large cereal boxes and the other shelves hold all the dry food/tins etc but I can easily see the contents of each shelf as they are less than 30cm deep (front to back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looksee wrote: »
    I saw a very nice 'drawer/shelf' unit in a friends house. The unit is only about 30cm wide and you pull it out like a vertical drawer on castors. There are baskets up it and you can store tins, jars and packets so that they are clearly visible.
    that is exactily what i am thinking of, sick of emptying out press to find a tin of peas at back of cupboard

I got so fed up with trying to find things in the base presses that I put in a shallow, tall press, made from a deep bookshelf and with doors on it. I made a bottom section tall enough to put in large cereal boxes and the other shelves hold all the dry food/tins etc but I can easily see the contents of each shelf as they are less than 30cm deep (front to back).
    hopefully i will have my dream kitchen within 15 months, as i hope to get started on pricing one in a few months
    what i do know is
    there are 5 of us in this house
    i need a full dishwasher at waiste or knee level, also oven at waste or knee level, fridge at same, i do use gas hob, like my gas hob, the pullout basket thingy for food, i do use small freezer which is fine for me, fridge can also be small, as with the big one, i find we forget there is food going off in it as we do not have to empty it to make room for fresh items, as for floor covering, i am undecided, but i like warm spring colours, on a cold winter day there is nothing so inviting as a bright warm spring colour to come home to as the kitchen is the heart of my home, it is a kitchen dining room at moment, with the kitchem part in an L shape, i am thinking of opening this up, and putting table in middle of kitchen, just like kitchens used to be, a family affair,
    keep the ideas coming in,
    i do appreciate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MoreOran

Its a while since I've been shopping for a kitchen so I was surprised at all the new ideas out now. I love the food larder - everything in the one press is just great.
    Just be prepared for the hassle, we've taken out our old kitchen and new one is being installed. Then we have to wait another 5-6 days for the granite work top. Barbeques and ham salads for a while longer I am afraid.

Advertisement