Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surveeyyyy::What wheels ya ride & whats your riding type

• 15-06-2010 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Im looking for new wheels so interested to see what others use

So what type of riding ya do (racing, long spins, sportives,TT) and what wheels ya got....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

dario28 wrote: »
    Im looking for new wheels so interested to see what others use

So what type of riding ya do (racing, long spins, sportives,TT) and what wheels ya got....

Emmmm you're sorta assuming that people have only one set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

tunney wrote: »
    Emmmm you're sorta assuming that people have only one set.

Deffo not

I was expecting to see

TT - zipps

commute - shimano

spins - whatever

or

All round pro-lites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

A well timed thread. I use shimano rs20s on my road bike for long spins and charity days. Was going up a hill last night getting rid of some negative energy and heard a clatter from the back wheel. A spoke had popped from the rim and the wheel is bucked. Don't go for false economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

commute, steel frame mavic open sport on tiagra hubs (7 speed)

MTB alu frame rock shox tora forks sram x5 wheels are xt hubs with old mavic rims

road bike focus cayo 105 with shimano rs10 wheels

80's italian frame being turned into a turbo trainer frame as well (wheels whatever i can build true from bits in the shed)
    ashleey wrote: »
    A well timed thread. I use shimano rs20s on my road bike for long spins and charity days. Was going up a hill last night getting rid of some negative energy and heard a clatter from the back wheel. A spoke had popped from the rim and the wheel is bucked. Don't go for false economy

you saying rs20's are false economy ?????????
    every wheel i have owned at some point has broken or gone out of true its part of the game
    your wheels will go at some point, i have spare rs10 spokes and a trueing stand in my shed just waiting

in fact your timely reminder reminds me to go and check the tension on my spokes and make sure nothing has loosened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Howdy

For training i use Campagnolo Eurus with Vredestein Fortezza tyres
    For TT Zipp Sub 9 with 404 front on Victoria CX tubs
    For Racing Zipp 404 on CX tubs and custom mavic refex with Tune hubs with CX Tubs

• Advertisement

Sorry. I wasn't saying the rs20s were a false economy I was just advising to make a considered choice. Don't go cheap.
    It was fairly disconcerting to hear the spoke snap at the nipple mind

ashleey wrote: »
    Sorry. I wasn't saying the rs20s were a false economy I was just advising to make a considered choice. Don't go cheap.
    It was fairly disconcerting to hear the spoke snap at the nipple mind

There isn't a wheel in the world that won't snap a spoke at some stage if ridden for long enough, it's part of normal wear and tear and caused by metal fatigue. A poorly built wheel will break spokes more frequently. If your rs20s were breaking spokes on a monthly basis then you would have cause for complaint. Spokes alaways snap at either the the nipple or the hub because this is where the stress is concentrated, I have never seen a spoke break in the middle.

It was my first one in a year so I'm happy with the wheels and it was under stress. I've ordered a new wheel and I'll get my existing one repaired for emergencies. As a testament to the wheel: I got home with one less spoke and the rim tape protected against a puncture from the floating nipple. It made some noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Erm, Mavic Aksiums 'cos they were on offer for €125 when I needed new wheels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have two sets

road bike: front Mavic A719 laced to Shimano dyno hub(32h), rear Rigida flyer and some random Shimano hub (32h).

utility bike : fron Mavic EN321 laced to Shimano dyno hub (32h), rear Mavic EN321 laced to Nuvinci IGH (32h).

I doubt I will ever buy a pair of "race" wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

race / sportive bike : mavic cosmic carbone sl
    training bike: mavic cxp22 rim with Formula hub
    mtb: mavic something or other!!

Winter Bike: Mavic Aksium
    Race bike: Fulcrum racing 5 evolution (I'm a poverty stricken student)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

Winter: mavic ksyrium equipe
    summer: both 404's and ksyrium sl depending on course, weather etc
    trainer shimano whr500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Winter: Mavic Open pro rims built onto Ultegra hubs.
    Summer: Shimano Dura Ace WH7850 sl's
    Trainer: Mavic Cosmos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

There isn't a wheel in the world that won't snap a spoke at some stage if ridden for long enough, it's part of normal wear and tear and caused by metal fatigue. A poorly built wheel will break spokes more frequently. If your rs20s were breaking spokes on a monthly basis then you would have cause for complaint. Spokes alaways snap at either the the nipple or the hub because this is where the stress is concentrated, I have never seen a spoke break in the middle.
    The spokes will never break in a well built wheel in normal use, for the lifetime of the rim. The problem is that wheels are not all that well built often/usually, as that is very expensive, because. it cannot be done by machines. Jobst Brandt agrees with me on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Single speed, Specialized Langster, stock wheels, commuting

Ridley Crossbow CX bike, Ksyrium ssc sl's, Cyclocross racing and winter/bad weather bike.

Specialized Tarmac pro sl, Ksyrium es's, training and crit races, Zipp 303's-Road races and hill climbs.

I also have a powertap pro and a semi deep dish front wheel that I rotate between the CX bike And the race bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Erm, Mavic Aksiums 'cos they were on offer for €125 when I needed new wheels...

+1 and l find that they flex a lot, but then l am just over 100kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Audax - Mavic Open Pro rims laced to DT Onyx or Shimano Ultegra hubs

Lightweight - DT Swiss RR1450s

Fixed - Mavic Open Pros laced to Phil Wood track hubs

I tend to agree that the spokes should not break on a well-built wheel - maybe if you're really abusing the wheels they might but I haven't had a single spoke break since I moved on from the stock wheels that came on my first road bike.

Advertisement