Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Forced to Change Roles/Site

Options
  • 15-06-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going anon as I wouldn't like this to come back to haunt me or my partner.

My partner has being working for a large company of 13 years, this company is a large shop with a very large number of sites in Ireland. Last Friday (after a week's holiday) he went into work and was asked to join the manager and Personnel Manager in the office for a meeting. In the meeting he was told that due to the restructuring of the company to be in line with their UK operation that they are removing his role for the shop that he's in and that he has 4 options available
    Apply for his role in another store (pending availability) - in the real world this isn't an option as there isn't any available
    Apply for 1 of the remaining roles available, this will be a 10k reduction in pay.
    Apply for a promotion in another store (about an hour away).
    Apply for a complete demotion down to shop floor staff.

My partner's contract doesn't mention moving to another site and he's happy where he is, we have recently gotten married and have a nice home so he doesn't want to have to move to another area. We are also concerned that if he was to take the promotion to another store he would need to change his contract to being mobile, at the moment he is not, also, if he is to take 1 of the other roles, he will need to change his contract. He has been told that redundancy is not an option, that he has to take 1 of the options available, I believe this is wrong as his role is being being removed so he should be entitled to it, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It sounds like he is 'pre-96'. He must have an agreement with the company red ringing his terms and conditions.

'Apply for 1 of the remaining roles available, this will be a 10k reduction in pay.'
    Why would this be the case, if the management position was a sideways move from his position why would there be a difference in pay?
    Is he an actual manager at the moment or an old job title that is no longer used?

If he is not a 'manager' the union may advise him. as a manger the union won't usually get involved, leaving him with NERA or a solicitor.

The option of another position in the store sounds like the company wouldn't have to offer redundancy, as it is redeployment at a similar level, afaik.

I have never had a retail management role that didn't involve being flexible within 1 hrs drive of the store I applied to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's wrong with going for the promotion in another store? An hour commute is not exactly excessive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are wrong, it is a clear that his position has been made redundant and as such redundancy is on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He is a manager, Trading Manager, but has worked his way up and has never let his Union membership lapse so he's going to get in contact with them. He doesn't have a pre-96 contract unfortanetly.

He doesn't want to communte that far, it's a new store so he'd be doing at least 12 hour days every day, adding 2 hours to that would kill him. There isn't a "sideways" move, at the moment he's over the entire store, the only role available would be a section manager which would involve a big reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh that make's a lot more sense. The management names you use tell me what company your talking about.

If you have a copy of the contract hold on to it as I have never seen one that doesn't say you are OK with an hours mobility. And yes I agreee if it's a new store he is looking at a 60 hr week before travel time.

Also get a copy of the most recent 'career discussion' on his file, he'll know what you mean. This could also detail what mobility he signed up to.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He signed his contract about 7 years ago and doesn't have a copy of it but will get it from his file tomorrow. He has also always said that he isn't interested in store management or any other roles, that he just want to continue doing what he's doing, he has refused to move to the 2 new stores that were opened within 40 miles in the past couple of year, the regional manager even said to him "we'll have to get you off that non-mobile contract, there's too many of you here with those"

Any ideas of whether redundancy would be possible or whether 1 of the options will need to be taken, every little helps ;)

Advertisement