Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pundits on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

They get **** wrong but truth be told they are infinitely better than any other pundits i've ever watched on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

CorkMan wrote: »
    Its amazing how RTE didn't buy one copy of World Soccer's guide to World Cup 2010. That has everything in it, incluing the sure top players, the hidden prospects and players who are on the wane.

It gives an analysis of every team, the coaches view and top critics views. Just amazing. They should do some research instead of coming up with "I don't know" when asked for a prediction.

I think pre game analysis is pretty pointless to be honest. I'm not Giles biggest fan in general but i'd agree with him sometimes when he says he has no idea what to expect. The key to being a good analyst is to read a game as you see it. No preconceived opinions before you have seen a ball kicked. Some pundits know obscure players names but they don't have an understanding of the game.
    And as i said before. Giles has many faults but this isn't one of them. In fact I applaud him for not trying to spoof people about "key men for obscure teams".
    He thought Elano played for Hull, you don't need to know what club he played for to know he was pretty sh*te. He calls it as he sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's been a good pundit long before he came on RTE.

Yep, he has done work for ITV and Sky before, as well as on German TV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

who_ru wrote: »
    i think Bill, johnny and eamo should all retire after this tournament, they've bee at it 22 years now since euro '88 and it's seriously time to move on.

i agree with an earlier posting that we shouldn't take 'punditry' too seriously but we need a bit of new blood.

nah. they're the only reason why i tune into RTEs coverage. They're legends for some top class analysis, and legends for clowning around at the highest calibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bill must lead a very sheltered life, his reaction to Wayne Rooney uttering 'fcuk sake' was laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bill must lead a very sheltered life, his reaction to Wayne Rooney uttering 'fcuk sake' was laughable.

If he hadn't there'd have been an outcry from teh Joe Dufy Brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Does someone not check these clips before they air them? Do they just go "we've got audio on that Rooney clip at the end.. here ya go"

It can't be that difficult to cut the last bit out of what they show

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It can't be that difficult to cut the last bit out of what they show

Probably true but what would be the fun if they did that?
    Watching Bill trying to hold the madness together is a sport in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Didi Hamann's last game today. Pity as he was an excellent addition to the RTE panel and perhaps the best of the whole lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Jigga wrote: »
    Didi Hamann's last game today. Pity as he was an excellent addition to the RTE panel and perhaps the best of the whole lot of them.
    Training with the MK Dons was that it.

Real nice genuine guy. Good luck Didi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Jigga wrote: »

What, why is it his last game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

here here. Really enjoyed him on the panel, hopefully we'll see more of him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Yea it's a real shame that he has to go, was a superb addition to the panel and his contributions have been thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hamman has been very good and will be missed.

I always enjoy RTE's coverage. No rubbish or blandness like the UK channels.

Still can't believe that ITV praised Engerland's performance last week against USA and then last night Keegan with his Harry Hill shirt saying that England will not win the World Cup if they continue playing like that. Very insightful Kevin, they are struggling to get out of their group and still think England have a chance of winning the tournament.

How come Ardilles has not been on any games (that I have seen anyway?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fairwell Didi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Why's Didi off? He's been the best out of the lot so far, can't stand that lad that was on today with the glasses.. smug bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why's Didi off? He's been the best out of the lot so far, can't stand that lad that was on today with the glasses.. smug bastard.

pre season training with MK dons

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Well Didi was ok but we need more Dunphy. And Brady. Just those two interacting.

Forget about Giles and Souness. It doesn't matter what game is on they wind up saying exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Darragh Maloney? I think he's good enough and will be decent replacement for Bill when the time comes. Still won't be the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Darragh Maloney is brilliant I think. It is not an easy job to step in and do the same job as the likes of Bill who have been there for years.

Most importantly he has a bit banter with the others. You need that. Better than that Collins lad the had the last time, he just wasn't right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

ziggy wrote: »

He also said South Africa needed two goals but they actually needed three. (-2 SA gd vs +1 Mexico gd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Youri Djorkaeff, so often invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He also said South Africa needed two goals but they actually needed three. (-2 SA gd vs +1 Mexico gd)

Can't believe he is RTE's #2 at the World Cup, with all those gaffes! I'm sure he is made some during other matches, but maybe other posters remember what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Where is Dunphy and why isn't Irwin on the regular panel?

He was on one afternoon with Hamann but that was it, he's a bit dry but I think he's on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Dunphy: It's the soap opera that keeps on giving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

DB10 wrote: »
    Darragh Maloney is brilliant I think. It is not an easy job to step in and do the same job as the likes of Bill who have been there for years.

Most importantly he has a bit banter with the others. You need that. Better than that Collins lad the had the last time, he just wasn't right.

The bored look on his face when the camera cut back to him after the Jermaine Defoe post-match interview was priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

no matter how england played today, the rte panel were always going to hammer into them. and while the bbc, and in particulat that d*ickhead shearer are fawning over the team, the truth of todays performance lies somewhere in the middle.

they deserved the win, should have won by more, but the corner has not been turned fully and theyll need to improve hugely from here on in. i thought theyd get through to the semis on the basis they won their group. think itll be curtains for them next round now if they play the germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

ziggy wrote: »
    He also said that Malouda's goal was the first France had scored in a world cup outside europe.
    I must have dreamt the 86 world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I have to say that the surprise find of the WC so far has been Maloney. He has confidence, good balance and he can whip in conversational topics from the back and up to the pundits - with who seem to have a good understanding. Moreover, as evidence by post Defoe face, he keeps everyone guessing because you never know what trickery is coming next.

Fair play. He has stepped up and now must be a real contender for Bill's spot on the A team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have to say that the surprise find of the WC so far has been Maloney. He has confidence, good balance and he can whip in conversational topics from the back and up to the pundits - with who seem to have a good understanding. Moreover, as evidence by post Defoe face, he keeps everyone guessing because you never know what trickery is coming next.

Fair play. He has stepped up and now must be a real contender for Bill's spot on the A team.
    DB10 wrote: »

I've been saying for years now that Daragh Moloney is great at his job. He's a good commentator as well.

He'll be an able replacement for Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Denis Irwin and Dunphy on the panel together is this a first?

Least it is Dunphy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Have to agree there, he has been great so far. Definitely has to be the man to take over from Bill. Peter Collins has been tried there and failed badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Whats the name of the Irish fella commentating on the match right now? jaysus he always has a delayed reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That Darragh bloke is annoying :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why does Denis Irwin keep calling Schweinsteiger......"Swar-steiger"?

Irwin has been very good tonight for his night time debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Have to agree with other posters, prior to this World Cup, Darragh Moloney annoyed me to no end and I hated seeing him host.

But since the start of the World cup he has been a superb anchor and he asks good questions and provokes great discussion. I have to say, apart from Damien Richardson and maybe some poor research from one or two anchors, the RTE presentation this year has been a delight from the anchors to the great guest pundits (Hamann, Souness, Irwin) to Aprés Match. Much happier watching the WC on RTE than the other two.

Have to agree with other posters, prior to this World Cup, Darragh Moloney annoyed me to no end and I hated seeing him host.

But since the start of the World cup he has been a superb anchor and he asks good questions and provokes great discussion. I have to say, apart from Damien Richardson and maybe some poor research from one or two anchors, the RTE presentation this year has been a delight from the anchors to the great guest pundits (Hamann, Souness, Irwin) to Aprés Match. Much happier watching the WC on RTE than the other two.

He annoyed me today after the England game I have to say, his constant grin and comments re Gabys questions not being very probing of Capello confused me, are rte interviews of Trap probing?

Thought Irwin was good, very fair as is Giles.

Have not been online for the last week, is it me or is their a bit of tension between Bill and Liam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dunphy and Irwin really laid into Landon Donovan there over his post match interview. And Bill got in on the act too at the end "Goodnight Bianca" :pac:

Only on RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He annoyed me today after the England game I have to say, his constant grin and comments re Gabys questions not being very probing of Capello confused me, are rte interviews of Trap probing?

Thought Irwin was good, very fair as is Giles.

Have not been online for the last week, is it me or is their a bit of tension between Bill and Liam?

Did you see that interview, you swear England had annihilated Slovenia, the way she went on

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Did you see that interview, you swear England had annihilated Slovenia, the way she went on

Yea but I have seen plenty of rte interviews like that when Ireland play, they are always very easy on the manager, clearly relief in that England interview that they had qualified for the nxt stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Yea but I have seen plenty of rte interviews like that when Ireland play, they are always very easy on the manager, clearly relief in that England interview that they had qualified for the nxt stages.

Yes but there's a difference between being easy on a manager and being completely blind to what you've just watched, and she was talking about a match that everyone else seemed to miss.

Yes but there's a difference between being easy on a manager and being completely blind to what you've just watched, and she was talking about a match that everyone else seemed to miss.

I don't know a world cup and through to the nxt stage, don't know what he expected, I have seen similar style interviews with Irish managers over the years, sometimes when you are close to a team you don't see it

Dunphy and Irwin really laid into Landon Donovan there over his post match interview. And Bill got in on the act too at the end "Goodnight Bianca" :pac:

Only on RTE!

Missed it! What was the gist of both Donovan and the RTE lads comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Missed it! What was the gist of both Donovan and the RTE lads comment?

This post sums it up nicely.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66563058&postcount=517

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Crosáidí wrote: »

they did they beat them 1-0 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Only on RTE!

That was well funny. Eamo looking off stage asking who this Bianca was then asking Irwin while he's trying to be serious. lol

On the Irish manager post match interviews on RTE:
    I seem to remember some properly shìt stirring questions after good and bad results. Trap has got a good grilling over Andy Reid and the formation and tactics in recent times.

Advertisement