Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Customised Name's on Frames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd love one but i'm a fontphile, i would have to have it in the same font as the 2009 planet-x's like this:

4589871380_ddd1532072.jpg

but that font wouldn't look great on anything other than a planet-x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

bcmf, just in case an order is placed before I see this thread again;

Can I order 4 No. with tri-colour flag with my name (Eddy Merckx John Kinsella) in black letters. I don't overly mind what font is used once it's not too poncy - keep it simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

DirkVoodoo x 1 silver/white * depending on style

austinbyrne21 x 2 black

short circuit x 2 white * depending on style *

SACH CENTRAL x4

damo80 x 2 white * depending on style

RoubX x 1 Black
    RoubX x 2 White

garmin guy by 2 black , 2 white

Super Freak
    4* White,

I would also like to get something made up for my top tube/ Downtube
    This Bike
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65861756&postcount=2233

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

bcmf, just in case an order is placed before I see this thread again;

Can I order 4 No. with tri-colour flag with my name (Eddy Merckx John Kinsella) in black letters. I don't overly mind what font is used once it's not too poncy - keep it simple!

Will you pm me your phone number and or your e-mail so I can make contact.cheers

People's I will try and do up a sample to email to the printer to see if he can get me a sample so I can email it to the lot of ya.will try and get this done to-day.Am gonna need your e-mails so I can forward it onto you. Can you pm them to me at some stage in the nxt day or so.

Thanks for the pm's. As my pc is acting up big time it may take a bit longer then I thought I will also try and put all your requests to the printer but can't promise anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Great idea. If you need a hand doing artwork for any of these let me know. Typography is my 'other' interest. (Are we allowed have other interests....?).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

P1010286.jpg

P1010285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

austinbyrne21 x 2 black

SACH CENTRAL x4

RoubX x 1 Black
    RoubX x 2 White

Super Freak
    4* White,

Velo Bro! x 2 Black

CycleGal x 2 White

I would also like to get something made up for my top tube/ Downtube
    This Bike
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=2233

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

hope i'm not too late for this

austinbyrne21 x 2 black

SACH CENTRAL x4

RoubX x 1 Black
    RoubX x 2 White

Super Freak
    4* White,

morninwood 2* black,

austinbyrne21 x 2 black

Must have been updating at the same time:)

SACH CENTRAL x4

RoubX x 1 Black
    RoubX x 2 White

Super Freak
    4* White,

morninwood 2* black

Velo Bro! x 2 Black

CycleGal x 2 White

daragh_ wrote: »
    Great idea. If you need a hand doing artwork for any of these let me know. Typography is my 'other' interest. (Are we allowed have other interests....?).
    Hey Daragh, yeah wouldn't mind a hand.
    Fancy doing some kind of mock up so we all can have a look.I did one up in microsoft publisher but am having trouble with me puter

grand - will have a read back through the thread to get an idea of the various styles people want and post a few options tomorrow.

I draw the line at putting Comic Sans on a bike though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

austinbyrne21 x 2 black

Must have been updating at the same time

SACH CENTRAL x4

RoubX x 1 Black
    RoubX x 2 White

Super Freak 4* White,

morninwood 2* black

Velo Bro! x 2 Black

CycleGal x 2 White

Padlad x2 white

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

grand - will have a read back through the thread to get an idea of the various styles people want and post a few options tomorrow.

I draw the line at putting Comic Sans on a bike though. :D

Century Gothic's were it's at! Just kidding. Fair play to ya, make it look cool though. Ha ha

@ daragh_
    did a few on the mac but cant seem to upload the file

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=t36tBkWJ4H8spkUPUZfex2w#gid=0

those who want these will you fill in this spreadsheet just to keep things neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

bcmf wrote: »
    https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc?key=t36tBkWJ4H8spkUPUZfex2w#gid=0

those who want these will you fill in this spreadsheet just to keep things neat.

Unable to access.

probably cause I am logged into google. Anyone fancy doing one up accessible to all as I am strapped for time!!!
    basically
    Username.....Name wanted on decal...qty...col

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

probably cause I am logged into google. Anyone fancy doing one up accessible to all as I am strapped for time!!!
    basically
    Username.....Name wanted on decal...qty...col

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9kjEwXA_hedFFzaVUwRmk1SWRSZGtLY0hGU294MEE&hl=en

Anyone can view and edit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

just placed my order on the spread sheet thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

also placed order but depending on font and price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Put in order for two, would like to see font and price though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

Hi, Placed order for 2 Black (ie one bike) and 6 Silver (ie three bikes) (while my prefernce is silver, white will be ok if silver not available).

(Order is assuming that is that the proposed font is not something mad, eg proposed samples are fine and on the basis that cost is not prohibitive) - will be happy to arrange payment without delay once indicative price is available or possibly collect

Kebel

Messed around with this a bit last night - see attached.

Not sure what limitations the printer will place on this. From experience letterforms with very fine lines are hassle and need some kind of outline or stroke around them to work, see the bottom left version, Planet-X style.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

Not sure what limitations the printer will place on this. From experience letterforms with very fine lines are hassle and need some kind of outline or stroke around them to work, see the bottom left version, Planet-X style.

Thoughts?

great work daragh, fair play.
    i think the top ones in the 1st set on the left and 2nd set on the right look the best? perhaps doing some without a flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Thoughts?

For what it's worth... I prefer the bottom right font "Short Circuit", the white lettering with the black/grey surround is the way to go for me. But not too sure about the matching tri-colour (kinda resembles a car's badge/football crest). The font looks cool though! Cheers.

Version with no flags attached.

Thanks daragh_ appreciate that.
    I would imagine that (for simplicity sakes ) the text will be be cut out of either white or black vinyl with a clear background as this is what I originally spoke to the printer about. I will talk to him about other cols later on once a decision has been agreed on about a design. See my pic or Rob Fowls in pg 1.
    Going by the lenght of the one have got done before ( which in my opinion) was a tad too big I would specify a size lenght wise of 45-50mms and height wise a Maxheight of 15mms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Guys, you have to consider the printing process while designing these. If you want multiple colours - eg. a black outline or an irish flag, you will have to consider the way they are made.

single colour vinyl is cut from a sheet aof pre coloured sheet - hence the fact that indivual letters can be produced.

If you want multiple colours you need to add printing processes to this and at least one other function - you can do a multi coloured print onto clear vinyl & have it cut - but this is usually a single piece sticker (may have UV & other weather issues) + there is usually a clear band around the sticker. These are produced on a gerber edge machine & will cause difficulty if placing them on a complex surface such as where two tubes meet. If the printer doesn't support gerber prints - they will need to print onto the vinyl and feed it through the cutter afterwards and the results will be very inaccurate.

Single colour Vinyl, is a much better way to do it. If you want the flag using this method, the different colours will have to be cut seperatley and laid together by hand - unless done very carefully the results will be crap - and you wont get the level of care you need when there are so many to produce.

If you want to do outlines on single colour vinyl, you will need to overlay one colour on top of another - this is very inaccurate & will cause fitting problems (this should only be done by an experienced fitter) and will also have problems with peeling.

My advice - keep it simple

I would imagine that (for simplicity sakes ) the text will be be cut out of either white or black vinyl with a clear background as this is what I originally spoke to the printer about. I will talk to him about other cols later on once a decision has been agreed on about a design. See my pic or Rob Fowls in pg 1.
    Going by the lenght of the one have got done before ( which in my opinion) was a tad too big I would specify a size lenght wise of 45-50mms and height wise a Maxheight of 15mms.

Hey bcmf. I didn't see this as I was obviously typing while it was posted.

It sounds like you are colour printing onto a clear vinyl - either cut to shape or rectangular.

To be honest, this won't look great on a bike - you will see the outline of the clear film, you will get bubbles in the film & you will have difficulty fitting it if the surface is in any-way complex - such as the join between the top tube & seat tube(?). They may also be effected by UV light.

My suggestion is to stick with cut vinyl, much more appropriate to this apploication.

sorry Bluefoam... I meant it was going to be cut out of coloured vinyl ie white or black or whatever he has.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hey bcmf. I didn't see this as I was obviously typing while it was posted.

It sounds like you are colour printing onto a clear vinyl - either cut to shape or rectangular.

To be honest, this won't look great on a bike - you will see the outline of the clear film, you will get bubbles in the film & you will have difficulty fitting it if the surface is in any-way complex - such as the join between the top tube & seat tube(?). They may also be effected by UV light.

My suggestion is to stick with cut vinyl, much more appropriate to this apploication.

Duly noted. Thanks for the advice. I would suggest the more blocky letterforms will work best so.

yeah I think the larger (blockier!!!) the letters the better.

Of course if money is no object we could just hire Damian Hirst to spend a few days pasting butterflies on our frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

I really liked the style of the original name, but agree that it seemed a bit big. I'm quite curious to see how your printer is going to construct the sticker.

Of course if money is no object we could just hire Damian Hirst to spend a few days pasting butterflies on our frames.
    would rather have a big cake pasted on rather then butterflies....:D

Version with no flags attached.

Thanks for those. Regardless of the fact that it says my name, I like bottom right. I wouldn't mind getting a square in red with the name in white. But having absolutely no clue as to what will work out best and cheap for the printer, I will let that call with the people with more knowledge on this.

My only comment, could we keep the height small ... my bike is steel .. so the tubes are a bit on the thinner side as compared to the Al or carbon offerings.

Thanks for those. Regardless of the fact that it says my name, I like bottom right. I wouldn't mind getting a square in red with the name in white. But having absolutely no clue as to what will work out best and cheap for the printer, I will let that call with the people with more knowledge on this.

My only comment, could we keep the height small ... my bike is steel .. so the tubes are a bit on the thinner side as compared to the Al or carbon offerings.

If you wanted to do that, you could get a rectangle of red and cut the letters out - so you see the frame colour...

I put up some measurements up a few posts back. see how they work with your frame.

15mm sounds good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh lads, seriously... A personalised decal on your lovely bike is a nice idea, but please for the love of GOD, use a nicer font. Honestly most of the ones posted here are just horrible. It's such a shame to have such a beautiful stylish and expensive bike and then desecrate it with your name in the lettering that most people are used to seeing on the front of haulage trucks.

would 15mm not be too big? perhaps 10mm. especially if its to be kept tasteful and classy. imo, for what its worth, youd want it subtle, not screamign in your face.
    less is more in my opinion.

it kinda depends on what font we go for. If it is the font I used cant really go too small but if we go for boxy stlye font as per the pdf's then we can go small.
    Damo I updated the spreadsheet for you.
    I wanna close this off fairly shortly as I wanna get moving on the print end of it so I can have them ,hopefully, for this day nxt week and confirm prices.
    At the moment I am veering towards the second pdf that I posted earlier.

Zascar wrote: »
    Oh lads, seriously... A personalised decal on your lovely bike is a nice idea, but please for the love of GOD, use a nicer font. Honestly most of the ones posted here are just horrible. It's such a shame to have such a beautiful stylish and expensive bike and then desecrate it with your name in the lettering that most people are used to seeing on the front of haulage trucks.

Everyone's a critic :D

Seriously though, have you seen the kind of visual material your average Fred (that's me) favours? Cycling is not a calm haven of thoughtful and reserved typographical loveliness.

Apart from Rapha.

Anyway I'm going for high gloss gold name in Fette Fraktur on my Planet-X.

thanks alot Bcmf. sorry for the hassle.

as for font, i would favour something along the lines of my earlier post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66413711&postcount=34)
    nice and simple. plus if the fancy takes you if your ordering 2 you could put on your helmet.

Hey BCMF

Ok here’s my order!!! I want a raised font for the tactile effect but done in a hologram style changing from my real name to my boards name depending on which angle it’s being viewed. I’d appreciate numerous samples in various colours so that I can choose the two I really want…… Oh!! And my picture in the centre of the Ireland flag that would be cooooool!!:rolleyes:

Only kidding I know it’s a personal thing and people are all different but might be an idea to chat with the printer and at least then we can see what they can do, or not do.

Cheers though for pulling it together, bet your sorry ye started?:confused:

Velo Bro!

Velo Bro wrote: »
    Hey BCMF

Ok here’s my order!!! I want a raised font for the tactile effect but done in a hologram style changing from my real name to my boards name depending on which angle it’s being viewed. I’d appreciate numerous samples in various colours so that I can choose the two I really want…… Oh!! And my picture in the centre of the Ireland flag that would be cooooool!!:rolleyes:

Velo Bro!

yeah that would be cooool but you can f**k off if you think I am getting involved in it :p

Right!!
    Just off the phone to the printer and he can do white vinyl, Black, Silver and yellow.
    We need to agree on a style asap.

@Short Circuit; I didnt mention the dual flags but dont foresee a problem.
    I asked about price and he said it would only be a couple of quid for each. He didnt specify an exact cost but wont be expensive.

Anyone who hasnt filled out what name they want on the sticker will you do so before Mon early am.