Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pictures of your homemade ghillie suits

• 15-06-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Im very interested in seeing what kind of quality peoples homemade ghillie suits are like. I made one a while ago and it was S**te! Going to have another go before the summer is out

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Just attach a load of loops to an old hoodie or something, then use natural vegetation from the site your at. you'll never make something that works everywhere, and you know the natural grass there is gonna match in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Soberts

Masada wrote: »
    Just attach a load of loops to an old hoodie or something, then use natural vegetation from the site your at. you'll never make something that works everywhere, and you know the natural grass there is gonna match in. :)

Thats not a bad idea at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Soberts wrote: »
    Im very interested in seeing what kind of quality peoples homemade ghillie suits are like. I made one a while ago and it was S**te! Going to have another go before the summer is out

If I get a chance iun the next couple of days, I'll take a photo of FireKitten's Ghillie. It's just the top, and comprises of a UK DPM UBACS top (ordered from CadetDirect who also have a presence on ebay), and a Bushrag burlap kit with fire-retardant spray formula from opsgear. It does take time to build properly, so this is not a "buy on friday, skirmish on saturday" project.

awesome, I would be very interested in seeing that

That bushrag camo kit, do I only need to buy one of those, or do I need to buy a few? Im looking to do my head, shoulders and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That bushrag camo kit, do I only need to buy one of those, or do I need to buy a few? Im looking to do my head, shoulders and back.

One.

FireKitten's Ghillie has back & back of arms covered, and a 'hood' built as well. And there's still a fair amount of material left to work with. The Ghillie is layered as well to give depth to the burlap and make it seem more 'natural'; a quality that a lot of pre-made Ghillies lack in appearing like just large 'lumps' if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

Im in the process of redoing my ghillie, should take bout a week after the L.C is over, ill post up some picks. It has a base layer of jute not burlap and them natural vegitation is added, hood is seperate attached to a boonie and have that and the gloves finished.
    Oh its also a two piece not a full single jumpsuite type like most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

been researching ghillie as i hope to make my own at some point, a consitent balance of 40% artificial v 60% added natural camoflage

an overriding theme seems to also be the importance of wearing your ghili in, this you tube video from about 1 minute in shows this ( i would not imagine airsofters going to this extreme but you get the idea ) a lot of the off the peg ghollie i see are never tailored to there environment and are normally shinny news

Im in the process of redoing my ghillie, should take bout a week after the L.C is over, ill post up some picks. It has a base layer of jute not burlap and them natural vegitation is added, hood is seperate attached to a boonie and have that and the gloves finished.
    Oh its also a two piece not a full single jumpsuite type like most

Where did you source your materials? Would love to see some pics

Started with a ghillie poncho from gjilliesuitplus.com, but it got caught up a lot so im going to cut and trim it down and with the netting it will be able to incorperate natural foliage. It will look nothing like the below when done, when it is ill post pics up with no foliage attached and with. Ill keep you posted anyways
    mossy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Where did you source your materials? Would love to see some pics

i picked up some from asmc in germany http://www.asmc.de/suche/burlap.html just took apart the burlap to make rough jute to tie to the base

also http://www.ghilliesuitclothing.com/categories/Ghillie-Kit-Materials/

mossy.jpg

Ok well that was what i had, now i have gloves, bonnie, and top completed. No pics yet but i was at Ambush for the closing game and Karl took a quick video just before i go on the offensive unfortunately :(, one guy goes to respawn and comes back past, i was around 5 meters from him and 10 from about 4 other concealed behind the shrub so i was waiting for them to move so i could make a move.....
    Anyway, the suit doesnt have any added material bar what it picked up naturally and some of that washed away when i went through a river earlier to get there, but you can see how it looks now compared to what it was, when stuff was added in i was nearly invisible in the field, even without natural material added i was invisible in the darker forest and came away with no lives losts and scores of hits on the opposite team.

Here is the link, any questions just ask, if you want ill get some more detailed photos over the weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBgXnq8IAmM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CaptainPrice

i got a homemade one, and a webtex concealment vest. so its like scratch building one evreyday. Fair dues to my spotter who puts these masterpieces togeather. Enjoy lads

gotta say. webtex is certianly the way to go. I have had guys walk over me, zombies too. They dont like me over there in fingal :D

Cool, not bad at all. We should organize a ghillie game somewhere, everyone turn up fully kitted out in there sniper gear :D Epic fun, have team games or deathmatches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CaptainPrice

sounds good. we could also all meet up in a site and do a sniper themed day ie. snipers vs evreyone else.
    should be a lot of fun. Imagine us all meetin gup at fingal and teaming up. We could make an event of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I personally have seen 4 lads sit ontop of Price within 10seconds of each other when in his ghillie. Gotta' be the best ghillie out there!

:) Yea a sniper game would be awesome, however trying to sort out where to play is going to be tricky.... Any ideas anyone where to go??

Fingle is a bit far, im in Clane in the middle of Kildare

Advertisement