Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Scheme

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hi all

myself and partner both have our own property's

herself has a 2 bed apartment in swords and i have a 4 bed house in finglas

now we'd ideally love to sell one of these but due to downturn we'd be in negative equity , so were planning on renting them out on longterm contracts to Fingal Co Council for 5 years

we've read all the information on the scheme and what you can expect , good and bad tenants etc

ive no intention of keeping my house , as soon as markets rise a tad and my house borrowings go down ( hopefully meet each other ) i'll be selling.

were currently looking at buying a family home because were expecting an addition to the family :) and i dont wanna live in a 2 bed apartment and she doesnt wanna live in finglas which is fine.

were looking up in ashbourne and found the house we want , just want some peoples ideas on what our best solution is ???

could i sell my house and take the €30-40k hit and pay that figure over the duration of the mortgage 30 years ???

or do i rent the house to the social on a lease , least id be gaurantee'd monthly income , my home is a 4 bed and mortgage is 1000 ( including interest relief ) and on a tracker ??

just so many ideas and want to make best poss choice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The banks may or may not let you sell at a loss and convert the difference into a personal loan.

Given your on a tracker theres a reasonable chance they might do this as its probably of benefit to them, but you would ahve to discuss it.

A few points of note though

If you rent out you lose your TRS

If you buy in Ashbourne you will be libel for stamp duty on the purchase as a non FTB

If you rent out you will most likely lose your tracker and end up on a much higher interest rate for your mortgage.

You need to check everything out very carefully before you make any decision here as the wrong choiuce could be very costly to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

D3PO wrote: »
    The banks may or may not let you sell at a loss and convert the difference into a personal loan.

Given your on a tracker theres a reasonable chance they might do this as its probably of benefit to them, but you would ahve to discuss it.

If you rent out you lose your TRS`( granted )

If you buy in Ashbourne you will be libel for stamp duty on the purchase as a non FTB ( not if its a new house )

If you rent out you will most likely lose your tracker and end up on a much higher interest rate for your mortgage.( yep i know that )

You need to check everything out very carefully before you make any decision here as the wrong choiuce could be very costly to you.( goes without saying )

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If you buy in Ashbourne you will be libel for stamp duty on the purchase as a non FTB ( not if its a new house )

Only if its a new house and does not exceed 125 sq. metres (1,346 sq. feet) in size

Also dont forget if you own for less than 5 years renting will trigger a stamp duty relief clawback on your property in Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

D3PO wrote: »

Only if its a new house and does not exceed 125 sq. metres (1,346 sq. feet) in size

Also dont forget if you own for less than 5 years renting will trigger a stamp duty relief clawback on your property in Finglas

yeah the new house is 1650 sqf but we've agreed a deal in principle with the estate agent ie lets say the house is 350k we offered him 325k which would allow for cost of stamp , we got more off the house but thats neither here nor there

im in my current house over 3 years , i'll have to look into the stamp duty thing , just so many things to consider hmmmmmmm thanks again

Advertisement