Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 years of membership

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Id like to thank the founders of Boards for all their efforts over the last 10 years since Ive joined. You've done a great job IMO except in one area. Shouldnt 10 years membership mean a free Boards mug? ohh be nice Ive wanted one for years now!!!
    Nice one lads and ladies for all the work ye have put in, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from ye efforts :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

857 posts?

n00b tbh

;) congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Wowsers, that's some achievement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

10_year_olds_rock_mug-p1681487330052562742l9rl_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Tallon wrote: »
    Wouldn't bring that mug into the office tbh.

Congrats OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

11 is were it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

RasTa wrote: »
    11 is were it's at.

40's where it's at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Tallon wrote: »

Id love to accept that but its NOT a boards.ie mug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'd love a boards mug :)

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Come two months I'll be in the same boat and there are an absolute TONNE of oldschool members here who are way ahead of us in that department by up to a year.

I found myself mentioning it a lot in some threads, not because I felt it was something I want to scream from the rooftops or anything I'm particularly proud of, but because... Well, come on, how many people out there can say "Yeah, I've been using this website for a whole decade+"?

It's kinda weird... But nice... I think :confused:

You won't get a Boards Mug... You *ARE* the Boards Mug, for being here so long :pac:

Anyways, thumbs up to the longtermers.

Its some achievement to keep the site running for so long and watch it grow from strength to strength every year. You might be right about the mug comment :(

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'd love a boards mug :)

Come Dev hand out some mugs!!!! Ten years in a job would yield something, ok so I'll let that one go, I've probably caused more headaches than made contributions anyway.

• Advertisement

Pah, this isn't a job and nobody asked you to stay, hence you're the mug! No cup for YOU!

Let's not get into 'watching the site change from year to year' discussion... I still get black'n'white flashbacks full of explosions, counter-strike forum flames, feedback rants, gathering cards & murder threats from people telling me never to go to Dublin boards beers because of past antics...

Good ti... No, wait, BAD times... Bad times...

Counter-strike ahhh dont you mean quake?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All Glory to Hypnotoad! who will turn 10 next February

Hypnotoad_animated.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Offy wrote: »
    Id like to thank the founders of Boards for all their efforts over the last 10 years since Ive joined. You've done a great job IMO except in one area. Shouldnt 10 years membership mean a free Boards mug? ohh be nice Ive wanted one for years now!!!
    Nice one lads and ladies for all the work ye have put in, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from ye efforts :)

It's the quality of posts that gets the mug.

Populist soundbites and left wing ranting gets nowt.

Ask Eamon Gilmore.;)

No, I mean Counter-Strike...
    Quake was obviously the root of this website back then but I'd never have seen Boards.ie when I did only for being a Counter-Strike player and the usual suspects like LTM, Shinja and other past known names mentioning it on Irish servers when it had a Counter-Strike forum... Naturally the forum was a lovely immature bag of **** OFF from everyone and anyone... God knows how or why I became a Mod for it, the place was nasty... Infact... It's still not all that pleasant :P

The quake side of things was no better, I used to have insults included in my config for quick access! Kharn its all your fault, if it wasnt for your copy of quake I might have done something with my life. Jusk kidding :D I wouldnt change any of it even if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

ah CS and the board being closed down. You'd kind of miss Shinji, par etc

The old days. Shinji, last time I say him he was on sky news!* :eek:

They would call Thead a noob tbh :P

RIP logic_away :(

*Seriously

...Shinji

fyp :)

Edit: Didnt finish reading thread :/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's the quality of posts that gets the mug.
    In that case, after 10 years I suspect they're more likely to give you a chamberpot than a mug, Flut! :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I actually still drink my morning coffee from one of the old "Boards Club" mugs... :)

DeV.

ps: "DeVore" turns 21 this year... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I miss the Kittencaek/ninja war. :(

Somewhere around 7 years on Boards for me. I have never consistently used another website for as long. That is both impressive and mildly frightening.

DeVore wrote: »
    ps: "DeVore" turns 21 this year... :)

Thats like something my girlfriend would say, she's been 21 for about as long as Ive been a member!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

cant... stop.... looking.... at..... hynotoad!! :eek:

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Ah, but you have to difrenciate the entity that is DeVore from the person that is "The Murphatron" :)

How did you end up with my copy of Quake? It did the rounds that disk - I think I still have it in a box of random CDs at home somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Anyway, the CS Kiddies were all n00bs, it was those Q2eers you needed to watch out for...

Q2DM6 4vr!

Dav wrote: »
    Ah, but you have to difrenciate the entity that is DeVore from the person that is "The Murphatron" :)

How did you end up with my copy of Quake? It did the rounds that disk - I think I still have it in a box of random CDs at home somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Anyway, the CS Kiddies were all n00bs, it was those Q2eers you needed to watch out for...

I did a course in IT in '99 with tera nova who had a copy and as it happens he also introduced me to red hat :) we spend a lot of hours back then playing quake studying I mean! I think half the course were hooked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I have a question for the 10 year plus veterans of the site since ye're all hanging out here, stinking of the kind of incontinence that only comes with age and an affection for alcohol: How has the atmosphere of the site changed since you joined and have you ever felt out-of-touch or that you don't have as much in common with other posters like you once did?

In less than 10,000 words please, RopeDrink.

I have a question for the 10 year plus veterans of the site since ye're all hanging out here, stinking of the kind of incontinence that only comes with age and an affection for alcohol: How has the atmosphere of the site changed since you joined and have you ever felt out-of-touch or that you don't have as much in common with other posters like you once did?

In less than 10,000 words please, RopeDrink.

The site has become 'professional' in my opinion. What I mean by that is that casual insults, personal attacks, etc. were once the norm but not any more. The site has matured I guess. Let me give you an example, many years ago I posted an ad for second hand condoms, that would be swiftly deleted now (and rightly so). IMO what most people dont realise is the amount of work the mods, admins, etc. actually do behind the scenes, without that constant effort the site would have been closed down years ago. Most do it for free and that community atmosphere is to be admired. It is the founder that keep that atmosphere alive. I stress IMO. When I first joined boards everything was about having a laugh but ten years later it has become, for me anyway, a place to exchange ideas, ideals, information, etc. Thats not to say I dont have a laugh here anymore but its become a lot more than that. Long may boards continue to grow.

On a personal note to all the old school quakers, how the hell did cs become popular? After quake it felt like going from a F1 to a Fred Flintstone car.

Offy wrote: »
    On a personal note to all the old school quakers, how the hell did cs become popular? After quake it felt like going from a F1 to a Fred Flintstone car.

I think you just answered you own question.
    Also CS kiddies didn't' like being told to be good winners and losers by the quakers, there's banter and then there's abuse and too many of the cs kiddies didn't get the difference so the went off and did their own thing and still do.

Tbh I had more craic and fun playing UT then I ever did quake or cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everyone knows you can measure your oldschool 1337N355 from the number of copies you've bought of the original starcraft.

$10 a pop can't be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ah memories. Its bizarre to think of all I've done since when I joined 9 years ago.

Counter-strike, after hours, flaming, bans and perma-bans...good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Sangre wrote: »
    Ah memories. Its bizarre to think of all I've done since when I joined 9 years ago.

Counter-strike, after hours, flaming, bans and perma-bans...good times.

You conformed well IMO. Life has a way of doing that.

Advertisement