Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Travel Loan

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm just finishing up in college and was hoping to go travelling for about 6 weeks before starting work in October. My bank are being very sticky about giving me a loan of approx €2000; lets just say the T&Cs are not viable for me to say the least. If I set up an account with a different bank now, is it highly unlikely that they'd give me a loan? I don't have an account with my local credit union, does that rule them out completely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I'm just finishing up in college and was hoping to go travelling for about 6 weeks before starting work in October. My bank are being very sticky about giving me a loan of approx €2000; lets just say the T&Cs are not viable for me to say the least. If I set up an account with a different bank now, is it highly unlikely that they'd give me a loan? I don't have an account with my local credit union, does that rule them out completely?

Do you have a job lined up for when you get back?
    The bank will want to know you have a way of paying them back

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

Yes Dermo, got a 3 year contract starting in October but they expect the full loan paid back in a year which i cant see myself being able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Yes Dermo, got a 3 year contract starting in October but they expect the full loan paid back in a year which i cant see myself being able to do.

That's a bit **** on their part, a 3 year contract should have opened it up at least a little for you.
    The only thing I can think of is saying to the bank that you will have to take your business elsewhere. Good luck with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a small loan so I don't think the bank is being unreasonable in asking for it to be repaid over 12 months, if you can't afford this then maybe you should rethink how much you want to borrow?

Advertisement