Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lincoln shotgun,

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

after recently getting into shooting clays my girlfrend has now decided that she wants to join in the fun, i'm all for it as it means she stops nagging telling me not go shooting and spend time with her, as she will be going shooting with me,;),
    problem is i'm 6ft tall and she's a hair under 5ft, none of my guns fit her, so the decision was made that we'd buy her a shotgun of her own and i'd do a 1 on 1 off with my single barrel (i'm in tyrone and this can be done v easily), i want to get a 12g as it would be cheaper to shoot than a 20g or a 410, as well as that if she decides she doesnt want to shoot any more it might be easier to sell it on,
    we were away yesterday and had a look at a 26" over and under lincoln, she liked the gun but she said there was somthing in the back of her head that said no dont buy this one, it was a bit rough of it's self but its only £125 and comes with two sets of barrels 26" skeet and skeet and a set of 30" half and full choke, the safety and selector switch seemed a bit worn but then again look at the price, there was a slight problem closing the gun as there is a latch that needs to stay open when you break the gun but doesnt, the dealer told me that this was a small thing and he'd fix it for me, he also said he would alter the stock for us as part of the deal.
    i think its a good enough deal for a first gun as were not sure how her shooting career will go, but i wanted to get your opinion, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'll defer to greater expertise on the matter, but £125 sounds awfully little for a gun that according to a bit of Googling, probably runs up around the £700 mark new.
    It has 2 barrel sets, one of which is for skeet, and the gun sounds as if it has done a tremendous amount of work, most likely with those skeet barrels.

Perhaps it's a fantastic bargain, but I'd like for someone very knowledgable to look at it before parting with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

yog1 wrote: »
    ........... i'm all for it ........... we'd buy her a shotgun of her own ........... i want to get a 12g as it would be cheaper to shoot ..... as well as that if she decides she doesnt want to shoot any more it might be easier to sell it on,
    ............but she said there was somthing in the back of her head that said no dont buy this one, it was a bit rough of it's self but its only £125 and comes with two sets of barrels 26" skeet and skeet and a set of 30" half and full choke, the safety and selector switch seemed a bit worn but then again look at the price, there was a slight problem closing the gun ...............the dealer told me that this was a small thing and he'd fix it for me, he also said he would alter the stock for us as part of the deal.
    i think its a good enough deal for a first gun as were not sure how her shooting career will go, but i wanted to get your opinion, thanks

No advice for you on the this gun except to say it sounds like a clunker. What do you expect for £125? (To alter a stock properly costs about £50 for each direction.)
    However, I suggest that you do not buy an expensive gun, as that girl will not stay with you for long if you are that mean about buying her a present.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

yeah the gun deffantly looks to have done a LOT of work, both barrels have marks down them but dont look to be pitted, we want to spend around the £150 mark as she wont be doing the same shooting i do (not that i'm a experanced shooter, far from it,) and were not 100% sure she'll stick with it, but were not sure what we'd get in this price range

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

No advice for you on the this gun except to say it sounds like a clunker. What do you expect for £125? (To alter a stock properly costs about £50 for each direction.)
    However, I suggest that you do not buy an expensive gun, as that girl will not stay with you for long if you are that mean about buying her a present.
    P.

lol, who said it was me that was paying for the gun, i take your point though, you would advise against buyint it then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, if you just spring up a wee bit further for something a little tighter and more solid, it'll be a better investment, as she'll find the experience a lot more pleasant and be more likely to stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

To be honest, if you just spring up a wee bit further for something a little tighter and more solid, it'll be a better investment, as she'll find the experience a lot more pleasant and be more likely to stick with it.

+1.
    Go to a different shop (that guy is really trying too hard to offload a clunker) and look for something like a second-hand AyA - their basic models e.g. Matador or Yeoman can be got for around the £350 quid mark.

P.

Advertisement