Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womens specific geometry

• 15-06-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

My Girlfriend is looking at getting a new road bike and I'm trying to advise her. I recently read an article which claimed that a small mens bike is often better suited to ladies than "womens specific geometry" bikes.

The range of women specific bikes is fairly limited and she's not that keen on some of the colours! (i.e. Spesh Dolce in blacks & greys, Trek 1.2 WSD in black...)

What are other folks experience? Could a 48/49cm mens bike be a be a better buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I took a friend bike shopping and she went straight for the Giant Avail 3.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/avail.3/5705/43142/
    It looks better in the flesh than that pic suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It depends, try them out is the best advice. My sister tried a Trek 1.2 WSD but went for the regular 1.2 because it felt better. Shop fit a women's saddle and she was good to go.

Really it's the saddle that matters. The only other advantage to the women's specific design is they offer sizes suitable for smaller women. Obviously longer legs and shorter torsos demand a different bike setup, but most of this can be achieved through regular bike adjustment (stem, seatpost, bars) without having to restrict yourself to only women's bikes.

Basically, and repeating myself (sorry), try as many bikes as possible but don't let her think she is a woman, therefore she can only ride a women's bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

What are other folks experience? Could a 48/49cm mens bike be a be a better buy?

It's possible. It really depends on your OH's proportions etc.

One thing that it's worth bearing in mind is that bikes specced for ladies will tend to come with finishing kit that is more appropriate. The Specialized female-specific range come with narrower bars and saddles designed for women - if she buys a man's bike, even if the frame is an ok fit, she may have to replace a few things like that to make the bike more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It depends, try them out is the best advice. My sister tried a Trek 1.2 WSD but went for the regular 1.2 because it felt better. Shop fit a women's saddle and she was good to go.

Really it's the saddle that matters. The only other advantage to the women's specific design is they offer sizes suitable for smaller women. Obviously longer legs and shorter torsos demand a different bike setup, but most of this can be achieved through regular bike adjustment (stem, seatpost, bars) without having to restrict yourself to only women's bikes.

Basically, and repeating myself (sorry), try as many bikes as possible but don't let her think she is a woman, therefore she can only ride a women's bike.

Best advice you are going to get on this subject... well put Dirk. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

Many thanks for the above advice folks, we'll try a few out before purchasing then. Having the option of an adapted mens bike gives a few more options.

(It's amazing how much prompt, good and relevant advice is available here!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

(It's amazing how much prompt, good and relevant advice is available here!)
    I dunno, I found Dirk's advice quite domineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    don't let her think she is a woman.

Um, I think she knows already...

<me grins, ducks and runs...>

I dunno, I found Dirk's advice quite domineering.

Get back in line! Don't make me ring uncle Joseph, he will have you locked up in a gulag faster than you can say "see my attached statistics for proof".

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Um, I think she knows already...

<me grins, ducks and runs...>

Ha, well spotted! I apologize, that should of course say "because she is a woman" :o

EDIT: I'm not going to edit that, it's making me laugh too much.

Advertisement