Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied interviews due to good performance.....

Options
  • 15-06-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Just wondering what general opinion is out there on the internets about a particular situation I’ve found myself in:

I work in a team that has 9 employees. There are 4 people doing my job (we’ll call it Job A) and there are three people doing Job B and another two doing Job C.

About 6 months ago a position came up for Job B and I advised my manager that I would like to be considered for the role. He told me that I wouldn’t be interviewed for the role as I was so good at Job A that they couldn’t afford to lose me to Job B.

In the past week another job on a completely different team has come up and it’s something that I would be very enthusiastic about applying for. When the manager of this other team spoke with my manager he advised her that he couldn’t afford to lose me from Job A in his team and asked if they would hire externally for the vacant position.

Now …. While it’s nice to hear that I’m good at my job (and I am grateful that I have a job in the current environment) , I’ve been held back from developing twice in a row and I’m quite annoyed by it.….. what’s the opinion out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My opinion is that your manager is holding you back.
    If you are so good at your job then maybe ask for more pay? You'll see then how important you are to them.

Does the other positions you applied for pay more? Then ask for whatever those positions pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

this happens quiet a bit - A girl i know applied for another role in her company - advised her manager and her manager went to the dept advertising the job and told them she would not allow this girl to go for job as she didnt want to loose her - unfortunatly not a lot can be done about this -
    in my opinion if your manager doesnt want you leaving his/her dept the other manager is not going to go against them and offer you the job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think you need to explain to your manager that he cant keep you.....you may need to go over the managers head and seek a higher authority.

your manager is possibly afraid that you cannot be replaced .... you are a good worker and its hard to find good workers !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

<snip> eth0_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The best way to get transferred is to make an allegation of sexual assault against your boss. That will get you moved pretty damn quick.
    :eek::eek::eek:

Lying Will Get You Nowhere :mad:

what a useless advice :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I know my job always hires internally if possible. It is completely unfair to do that to you. I'm sure when you started you were told there would be opportunity for advancement and he's taking that away from you.

Besides the pay issue, moving or expanding roles is very important. If, 4 years on, I was still doing basic phone support for printers, i'd hate my job. Maybe you don't need to love your job but it is important to somewhat enjoy or be motivated about something you spend almost 1/3 of your time doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The best way to get transferred is to make an allegation of sexual assault against your boss. That will get you moved pretty damn quick.

If your goal is to get fired, and face criminal charges, then that's some great advice right there. Seriously jenny kinks, think before posting something this absolutely dangerous and probably devastating for all involved in future. Or better yet, just don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This isn't AH, reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

quit and apply externally. not the best option, but its the one that comes to mind.

that, or sit down with your boss and ask what future you can expect in your role, as you are obviously good at what you are doing. Its only fair to expect some chance to further your career, so if thats being blocked, i think you are entitled to know if there is the posibilty of somethin better where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Eh, don't quit.

You need to have a chat with your boss and explain that while you enjoy your current role you think it would be best for both you and the company that you be considered for the advertised job.

What your company is doing is a bit taboo in any company that considers itself progressive. Now, depending on the lay of the land where you are there may be someone else you can talk to. If it was me, I'd have no hesitation talking to my MD or HR. This might not be an option for you though.

You do need to let your manager know this displeases you though. You don't need to threaten, moan or vent. You just state politely and professionally that you think this move would be in every one's best interest, and that you want to do it. You can turn it up a notch if need be, and hint at opportunities wth other employers (be subtle!) You can let them read between the lines.

Alternatively, accept that you don't work for a very progressive company, more one that wants to milk you like the PAYE-cow that you are, and quit for somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

jenny jinks Holy moly - that is not a good piece of advice at all.

In fact, making false accusations against someone can have very serious repercussions. If you are found guilty of perjury in court, then you could face jail.

Please think twice before posting something like that in future.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I have had to hold back employees from other positions in the past. (some will be made redundant based on my decisions). It is never a nice thing to have to do but sometimes is unavoidable due to "business needs"..
    However, my commitment to the employee was that we would plan to upskill another team member within 12 months to allow the employee move on in the future..

If nothing else it is short sighted by your manager as you'll hardly be there forever and an equally skilled replacment would be prudent..

Maybe have a word with your manager, I'm sure something can be worked out..

You seem to be good at your job and well thought off, don't do anything foolish to ruin that

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Great advice from one an all (except you jenny jinks!!!)

I'll speak with my manager and let him know about my dissatisfaction about what he's done. I do understand that there is a need for the "greater good of the company" but at the same time I want to move onwards !!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jenny jinks banned for a month. I'm unsure if you're trolling or not, but that is dangerous, stupid advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, whenever a boss holds you back from something, then you need to have the conversation about what they're going to do for you in return.

If this doesn't work, I'd generally use informal communication channels to let other managers know about the situation. (But you do need to work out which ones are able to do something about it.)

Advertisement