Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question

• 15-06-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, in the college I am working in, we are hoping to set up a mobile development unit.

As such, I am hoping to hit the college here for a couple of Anrdoid phones (em, and iPads and iPhone 4's, but that's another story :)).

So, as I am a bit behind on Android, what's the highest spec make/model around at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I could be wrong but I believe it's the HTC Desire/Nexus one.

The EVO is higher spec'd but not yet available in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

what exactly are you looking to do? as due to the fragmentation of the android market new top end devices like the X10 are still launching with 1.6 so this would have to be a consideration if you are planning any software development.

Other then that I would get a nexus one purely for the fact that definitely has a 2.2 update and is a stock android. The desire is a better phone though. The EVO probably won't work for you even if you could get one.

All the top end phones have the 1GHz snapdragon processors so there won't be too much difference between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nexus One's running Froyo (Android 2.2) is the best hardware/software you can get at the minute.

For aiming at just the newest handsets and newest version of the OS that is your best bet as the Nexus One has the hardware and 2.2 has all the latest API's.

If you want to aim for a wider range of phones you should target 1.5/1.6 as a starting version of the OS to get into things as a lot of devices out there are running 1.5 such as the Hero. But while doing this be aware that by the end of the year 2.0 should be the most viable all round OS to aim for.

Also be aware of the differences in manufacturers own version's of Android, for example the Nexus One will have a vanilla version of Android while the Desire will have HTC's version, testing on both is a must as bugs that are not in vanilla Android can be introduced by changes made by the manufacturer.

Can I ask what you mean by a mobile development unit? Do you mean a research and development unit or a new course for students? I'm really interested in the future of the mobile world so would be interesting to know about R&D units in Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

JustinOval wrote: »
    The EVO is higher spec'd but not yet available in Ireland.

I'm not in Ireland. ;)
    what exactly are you looking to do?
    draffodx wrote: »
    Can I ask what you mean by a mobile development unit? Do you mean a research and development unit or a new course for students? I'm really interested in the future of the mobile world so would be interesting to know about R&D units in Ireland :)

We are basically introducing mobile/smartphone/tablet programming module in the degree program we are teaching.

The intention is to have a spin-off organisation (perhaps even a software development company) down the road that can develop and release apps for a wide range of devices from Symian to Android and Apple OS. The intention being that it will also incorporate tablet devices such as the iPad and Android.

So right now, we are looking to get our hands on a range of devices to play with, so we will be in a position to teach the module in September 2011.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    so we will be in a position to teach the module in September 2011.

Then the nexus one is probably your best bet. As with fecking gingerbread slated for the end of the year this will give you your quickest update route for what would hopefully the standard android release by september 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Then the nexus one is probably your best bet. As with fecking gingerbread slated for the end of the year this will give you your quickest update route for what would hopefully the standard android release by september 2011
    Presumably you can install/alternate various roms on a single phone, e.g. 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, which would reduce the total number of devices required. Can you get HTC roms working on the Nexus one (which I'm aware is a re-badged HTC anyway)? So perhaps some form of HTC-based phone would be recommended, in order to natively support/test with (and without) the HTC sense functionality.

you could of course also use an Android emulator (which wouldn't of course support making and receiving calls).

I'm actually just surprised Tom hasn't asked if any of the phones has an FM transmitter;) Ye Tom we know the REAL reason you want to start this course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm actually just surprised Tom hasn't asked if any of the phones has an FM transmitter;) Ye Tom we know the REAL reason you want to start this course

Wait....you mean the Android phones don't have an FM transmitter? How quaint. :D

Advertisement