Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoldenEye Remake - Wii, online :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its real....pants ruined....also looks savage from the Ninty conference vids, flythrough of the dam in the rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

yeah, saw this elsewhere, cant wait! it was groundbreaking in its day i think, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the likes of call of duty or other fps on the wii. a definite purchase though i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Call this a stupid complaint but I cannot believe they've stuck Daniel Craig in instead of Brosnan, Brosnan was one of the multiple factors that made Goldeneye the great bond it was and in turn was a key part in the original game, be it for nothing else but nostalgia if it must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

"Not only can you play with the standard Wii pointer and nunchuk combination and tweak the sensitivity, you can also plug in a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro and play via the dual-analog way"

YES! That's from IGN by the way, and it made my day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original Goldeney is a aged, dated and unplayable mess in this day and age, a dinosaur if you will. However this doesn't look half bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The original Goldeney is a aged, dated and unplayable mess in this day and age, a dinosaur if you will. However this doesn't look half bad.

it's a dated looking remake of a dated looking game... I'm not sure what the hell is the point. Plus from what I hear just about everything will be changed with it.

but if it's the first decent 4-player split-screen fps game on wii( THERE ARE NO GOOD ONES STILL!) Ill prob buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

Total bullshit man, we are the same people that played the original, we haven't changed and it is just as fun to play today as it was over a decade ago.
    Granted, we have been affected by new gameplay elements, better graphics and more ephasized story in games, but the whole reason this game was so successfull is that it was designed with itself and itself only in mind, it didn't work with gaming variables that could be increased in the future like larger levels, it made itself work for and only for levels of it's size.

I shouldn't have to tell someone called 'retr0gamer' how awesome the orignal Goldeneye still is today.

On another note, I think this looks bloody good, looks like gameplay is the key focus here, unlike all the other e3 trailers that were filled with cutscenes and CGI.

Total bullshit man, we are the same people that played the original, we haven't changed and it is just as fun to play today as it was over a decade ago.

nostalgia is a dangerous thing.

if it came out today exactly as it was, what would you say? you'd say this looks like a DATED, UNPLAYABLE, MESS! :)

and that's the point. For this to be a good remake and to bring goldeneye up to today's standards, a lot would have to be changed to the point where it would become a different game so I ask what is the point?

It's gonna upset fans if it changes too much, it's gonna be laughed at by new gamers if it stays dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i stuck on my n64 with goldeneye a while back and it is awful looking. Thats the problem with 3D graphics, they age a lot worse than 2D ones, take Mario world, it still looks great today because it looks the same as the day it came out. Goldeneyes graphics were eclipsed not long after it was released. Its probably still a laugh to play in 4 player but the Wii one looks awful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭BenK

I just wish we could get a faithful remake of the original on the virtual console... It felt especially weird looking at that trailer and seeing that Craig fella's mug where Brosnan's should be... In saying that I can still see myself getting this! And the original Goldeneye is hardly an unplayable mess. I would say it's still as playable as anything else of that era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brosnan is no longer contracted to MGM to be Bond though so using him would just mean unecessary royalty payments, I'd prefer it that way too though.

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    nostalgia is a dangerous thing.

if it came out today exactly as it was, what would you say? you'd say this looks like a DATED, UNPLAYABLE, MESS! :)

and that's the point. For this to be a good remake and to bring goldeneye up to today's standards, a lot would have to be changed to the point where it would become a different game so I ask what is the point?

It's gonna upset fans if it changes too much, it's gonna be laughed at by new gamers if it stays dated.

Nostalgia isn't much of a factor here, I genuinely think it's still a great game to play. I always play old games of all consoles for the first time ever that I missed and the graphics don't affect me too much :P.

Was playing today on my N64, and I gotta say the graphics aren't even that bad, get's the job done...here's hoping the remake adds new levels and so forth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭BenK

krudler wrote: »
    Brosnan is no longer contracted to MGM to be Bond though so using him would just mean unecessary royalty payments, I'd prefer it that way too though.

Yeah I know it can't really happen, just like the original will never come out on the Virtual Console. I wouldn't mind but I didn't even like Brosnan that much as Bond, it's just in my head he's tied forever with Goldeneye the game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was playing today on my N64, and I gotta say the graphics aren't even that bad, get's the job done...here's hoping the remake adds new levels and so forth. :)

Well it's more a case that the game has been totally outclassed in recent years in every conceiveable way. Sure it was terribly dated a year after it was released when Half Life came out on the PC and on the consoles Medal of Honour took everything that Goldeneye had and made it way better (except multiplayer). The framerate on the originalis also appalling and makes the game hard to play when you are used to a constant 30-60 FPS.

Still given some redesigned levels, modern play mechanics, modern scripting and AI that isn't laughable it could be a decent game. The whole game though really needs to be built up from scratch. I kind of agree with Mcjmetroid that if they do this then whats the point of it being a remake but on the other hand Tomb Raider Anniversary did the same with the original Tomb Raider and was an outstanding success. If it's as good a reimagining as that then I might be able to enjoy Goldeneye again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...The framerate on the originalis also appalling and makes the game hard to play when you are used to a constant 30-60 FPS...
    Perfect Dark had a much worse framerate than that of Goldeneye, yet a slap of the ol' HD stick and a smooth framerate made it a still very playable game on Xbox Live Arcade.

(Just made me hanker for Goldeneye to be updated though)

The thing that's worrying me most about this though is that it seems to be simply trading on the name, and the love that Ninty fans have for Goldeneye, as EA did, rather than simply updating the graphics and controls like they did for Perfect Dark. Overall setting aside, this is going to be simply a game based on the Goldeneye movie, and not the same game at all.

It could be great, it could be... well... another EA style 'Goldeneye' Bond game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Contrary to my earlier expectations the Goldeneye remake actually looks pretty good, pity still that they are using Craig instead of Brosnan.
    Ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

It won't have to do much to be the best FPS on the Wii and therefore the best FPS on two generations of Nintendo consoles. I'm skeptical of this in the extreme though, as it sounds very much like a cash-in but will be better than the other cash-in from EA - Goldeneye: Rogue Agent surely! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Just shows how well-regarded the original was now that two games have tried to cash in on its good name! I'll will definitely be giving this one a look, if they can distil all that was good about the original, implement a proper control scheme and add in a few innovations from recent years then i'll be sold.

I will still be shooting Boris every time I see him, no matter what Natalya says!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

As long as they don't interfere with the original storyline, gameplay and levels I dont mind what they add. Thankfully you can use the Gamecube/Classic controller along with the Wiimote. Also there better be a cheat for DK mode.

Dman001 wrote: »
    As long as they don't interfere with the original storyline, gameplay and levels I dont mind what they add. Thankfully you can use the Gamecube/Classic controller along with the Wiimote. Also there better be a cheat for DK mode.

too late :)

http://kotaku.com/5564445/goldeneye-for-wii-is-a-remake-with-some-asterisks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Hmmmmm yes they are a few changes that worry me, especially this line.
    The locations have been changed in some cases the developer told me

Does this mean that not all of the original levels will be in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Dman001 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm yes they are a few changes that worry me, especially this line.

Does this mean that not all of the original levels will be in it?

It means it's not the same game at all.

More... "Inspired by..."

"The James Bond game is being developed by Eurocom and Activision, not Rare and Nintendo, the companies that made the original Nintendo 64 GoldenEye."

Nintendo had anything to with developing it?
    Anyway's, Rare's team had been broken up so much over the years (not to mention the M$ buy) that Rare making the game would be as foreign as Eurocom; Free Radical should be making it, same dev's.

It's 50/50 for me atm, I want it but don't want it too closely linked to the original, people should play both before judging both :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It won't have to do much to be the best FPS on the Wii and therefore the best FPS on two generations of Nintendo consoles.

Ah, so the Metroid series must have sailed straight over your oblivious head then?
    And I played the Call of Duty games on the Wii and they are pretty good too.
    Medal of Honour Heroes 2 is also very good on the Wii.
    Granted there is nothing like the volume of FPS titles on the Wii that the other current machines have to offer, but then in reality there is a lot of muck available on those consoles, and played from the 1st person perspective, Haze anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah, so the Metroid series must have sailed straight over your oblivious head then?
    And I played the Call of Duty games on the Wii and they are pretty good too.
    Medal of Honour Heroes 2 is also very good on the Wii.
    Granted there is nothing like the volume of FPS titles on the Wii that the other current machines have to offer, but then in reality there is a lot of muck available on those consoles, and played from the 1st person perspective, Haze anyone?

You forgot Red Steel 2 as well....cracker of a game!

This is out tomorrow....anyone making the purchase?

Gonna hold out meself, at least until I find out from users on forums as to whether it'll be better than the Call of Duty:Black Ops one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

smokingman wrote: »
    This is out tomorrow....anyone making the purchase?

Gonna hold out meself, at least until I find out from users on forums as to whether it'll be better than the Call of Duty:Black Ops one.

Same.
    Going to be cautious, wait for some reviews

Lack of reviews is kind of worrying.

Lack of reviews is kind of worrying.

True, mind you, there were no reviews out for the CoD:Reflex before release and that's the best FPS on wii....
    Here's hoping it's good but from what I'm hearing, zombies and voice chat are going to be in the wii black ops version - neither of which are in Goldeneye....

Tick tock, tick tock...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

yea it is dated. that being said, its my all time favourite FPS. i was 10 when it came out, thought it was amazing. the multi-player was amazing, we used to play the mulitplayer in college in 2004-2005! Really looking forward to the new game

Advertisement