Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long can a radio station broadcast if losing money?

• 15-06-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Newstalk has been on air since 2002. I believe it went national in 2006 yet they haven't broken even yet.
    I know radio stations can take years to earn a profit but surely after eight years they need to be showing something positive to their shareholders?
    The station seems to be in disarray with keane walking out/sacked, chopping & changing presenters etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Newstalk costs an arm and a leg to run, there are over 20 people making 100k plus there, then you have producers, sound ops reporters, readers

Why is it still running? three words

Dennis. O. Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Correct me if I'm wrong. but aren't they essentially being propped up by the profitable stations in the portfolio of their owners, Communicorp? 98FM, TodayFM and the like... Isn't it basically a loss leader - an admittedly good station that they believe is worth "taking a hit" for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

if you want a proper case study look at RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

giftgrub wrote: »
    Newstalk costs an arm and a leg to run, there are over 20 people making 100k plus there, then you have producers, sound ops reporters, readers

Why is it still running? three words

Dennis. O. Brien

:eek: That must mean everyone who we hear is on the pigs back (I regard a 6 figure salary as being minted!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yeah, that figure of circa 20 people earning over 100,000 a year in that station is amazing to me. Who would they be, some senior management and top talent?
    It doesn't have the listener figures (with the exception maybe of Hook) to justify that. It doesn't appear to have a management strategy, to me at least, to justify that kind of money to senior editorial and management staff.
    But hey, it's Denis O'Brien's money ultimately so he can do what he wants.
    He does seem keen to have a media outlet that might be influential in setting an agenda or agendas. I'm just not sure punters are getting it. It's frequently all over the place and like the Curate's egg, it's only good in spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Regardless of it's financial problems, it's very healthy to see an independent news source to give RTE a run for their our money.
    Maybe O'Brien likes keeping RTE/FF on their toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Poly wrote: »
    Regardless of it's financial problems, it's very healthy to see an independent news source to give RTE a run for their our money.
    Maybe O'Brien likes keeping RTE/FF on their toes.

Newstalk may not be state owned but "independent" is pushing it a bit as descriptions go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Bard wrote: »
    Newstalk may not be state owned but "independent" is pushing it a bit as descriptions go.

Exactlly. It's "independent" in the same way as Berlusconi's TV and newspapers are "independent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pretty ridiculous that they're on 100k. A lot of the presenters on TalkSPORT and Five Live would be on around that or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did I miss the bit where Denis O'Brien became Taoiseach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

rte could listen to it to see how to put together a sports programme. off the ball best thing on irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

delaad wrote: »
    Exactlly. It's "independent" in the same way as Berlusconi's TV and newspapers are "independent".

That's pushing it quite a bit as descriptions go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Shane10 wrote: »
    rte could listen to it to see how to put together a sports programme. off the ball best thing on irish radio.

OTB is a good show no arguement there but Sport@7 is very good and RTE and Today FM wipe the floor with Newstalk with the weekend sports shows.

Slightly OT but Sky News was in the red for many years, I think it was only in the last 5 years or so that it broke even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Badabing wrote: »
    OTB is a good show no arguement there but Sport@7 is very good and RTE and Today FM wipe the floor with Newstalk with the weekend sports shows.

lmao

jackie hurley wipes nobodies floor, maybe thats what she should be at !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Barname wrote: »
    lmao

jackie hurley wipes nobodies floor, maybe thats what she should be at !

Do you prefer a show that has comprehensive coverage of GAA matches on Saturday and Sunday as an example or a show that has the telly on in the studio and has old players commentating on it ! No live Soccer or GAA for 3 months is a joke for a so called sports show.

Advertisement