Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any kids classes in Ranelagh

• 15-06-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I have a friend whose daughter wants to start a ma. Does anyone know of any clubs that run a good childrens class in the ranelagh area? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If you're interested in karate, the JKS head dojo is just off Cullenswood Park (near McSorley's pub).

Info here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

mushin wrote: »
    I have a friend whose daughter wants to start a ma. Does anyone know of any clubs that run a good childrens class in the ranelagh area? Thanks

I agree with Fruitlover, Scott Langley runs a good karate club in Ranelagh. Kids enjoy training with him.

Z

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zen65 wrote: »
    I agree with Fruitlover, Scott Langley runs a good karate club in Ranelagh. Kids enjoy training with him.

Z

+1. my kids have been training at the hombu dojo since last year and love it. Not just Scott, all the other instructors are really good with kids. There's also a guest japanese instructor over at the moment that they adore. Class times here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

smacl wrote: »
    There's also a guest japanese instructor over at the moment that they adore

Is that Koike-sensei by any chance? Great sense of humour, and always popular with children (and adults for that matter!).

FruitLover wrote: »
    Is that Koike-sensei by any chance? Great sense of humour, and always popular with children (and adults for that matter!).

That sounds like him ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mushin

Thanks for all the replies:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JabbazHut

Hi , There would also be a Kung Fu Wing Tsun class at the Synge Primary School near Harcourt Street.
    So far feedbacks are good, but I do not know from what age kids are admitted ..how old is yours?

Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 miki2

My son goes to karate class with Scott's instructors. He loves going to Thera classes in Ranelagh and his instructor is great. It all changed last week... After practicing for a few months he went to grading last week. We were given some documents to fill in and payment request slips.
    Due to sever weather we were unable to submit docs 3 days prior to grading.

We took him to the grading location on the day together will all completed forms and payments. Once arrived there Scott langley refused to accept my son (and a few others) to the grading. His response was that he did not get the docs in time.
    Not considering circumstances or repeated requests he refused to accept my crying son and sent us out. He embarrassed him in front of everyone.

We were completely shocked to receive such treatment, later we found we were not alone. These are young kids who are looking forward to these events.
    I complained to management but my phone calls and email wad never responded to.
    Did anyone experience anything similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

miki2 wrote: »
    My son goes to karate class with Scott's instructors. He loves going to Thera classes in Ranelagh and his instructor is great. It all changed last week... After practicing for a few months he went to grading last week. We were given some documents to fill in and payment request slips.
    Due to sever weather we were unable to submit docs 3 days prior to grading.

We took him to the grading location on the day together will all completed forms and payments. Once arrived there Scott langley refused to accept my son (and a few others) to the grading. His response was that he did not get the docs in time.
    Not considering circumstances or repeated requests he refused to accept my crying son and sent us out. He embarrassed him in front of everyone.

We were completely shocked to receive such treatment, later we found we were not alone. These are young kids who are looking forward to these events.
    I complained to management but my phone calls and email wad never responded to.

Well in the interest of fairness, since you published names here you might do the chap a favour and email him the URL to this post and let him have his say.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Gradings are really the scummiest part of children's martial arts.

• Advertisement

miki2 wrote: »

We emailed Scott early in the week before the grading to check the cut off date to return these forms, as the kids were out of school and we were snowed in. We got a reply saying that Wednesday was the cut off day, Thursday morning absolute latest. Given this was not a runner we told the kids they'd miss the grading, which was a mild disappointment but no more than that. Kids gradings are a regular enough event, and quite a few people missed this particular grading with the weather.

While not being able hand up the paperwork on the day seems a bit strange, the forms did state that they had to be returned by a given date for the kids to be eligible to grade. Making assumptions that these conditions have changed because of the weather, and then blaming the instructors because this is the case isn't entirely fair. I'm not saying your assumption was unreasonable, but if you'd checked you could have saved yourself a lot of hassle.

Advertisement