Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Championships 2010 sligo

• 15-06-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

found this on eire og's website, but anyone got any more info (route maps etc) want to go and watch thurs / sun but dont know where !
    Next week the Eire Og hosts the Irish Cycling Championships. They will begin with The National Time Trial Championships on Thursday the 24th of June with fist rider off from Collooney at 7.01pm. On Saturday the 26th they host both the Ladies and Veterans Road Race Championships. Ladies race starts at 11am and the Vets start at 2.30pm. The final day of racing on Sunday June 27th sees the Junior and Elite Senior Road Race Championships take place. This will be a very exciting event with Irelands top professional riders confirmed to participate. Nicholas Roche, son of 1987 Tour de France winner Stephen will be keen to repeat his victory from last year and wear the coveted Shamrock Jersey in the Tour de France a week after the Championships. He will find some tough competition from the likes of Daniel Martin of the Garmin Transitions team and Philip Deignan of Cervelo Test Team. Deignan will also be hoping get his hands on the Champions Jersey as he is on the shortlist for his team to ride this year’s Tour de France and the National Champions Jersey adds extra prestige to the team. Also gunning for glory will be Olympian David O Loughlin and his Sean Kelly squad. O Loughlin won the Championships in 2004 when they were last held in Sligo, will he be able to repeat? His form is good at the moment, coming out of the FBD Ras with an epic stage win in the bag, he also has riders such as Mark Cassidy, KOM winner in this year’s Ras and Connor Mc Convey, on his team and on paper at least the Sean Kelly squad should be the strongest team in the race. The Elite race starts at Markievicz Road in Sligo town at 1pm.

its ok found it

http://www.irishcyclingchamps.com

time trial

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=5b0b6d142b30a3f238fe7451afd19948&rs=http%3A//www.irishcyclingchamps.com/cgi-bin/snippet.cgi%3Ftodo%3Das_page%26instance%3D4541017037%26num%3D1

road course
    http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=ba716e3fc6e45393ed5ac930deac46fd&rs=http%3A//www.irishcyclingchamps.com/cgi-bin/snippet.cgi%3Ftodo%3Das_page%26instance%3D4541017087%26num%3D1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Does anyone know how the RR loop rides? Is it tough? Steep sections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Looks like the circuit we did there a few years ago in the Scanlon years. It's 8.5mls around and it draggy out of town then a sharp turn left up a steep short hill and that's it. It will be a wearing down process and the speed is high from the start, with very strong attacks from the pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I heard the Women course is diffrent from the Mens no hills pan flat dont really see the point in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

theres a bump in town past the hospital, then a drag up the road dont know the next section then as you come back there is tully hill a short steep climb.
    (if its what i think it is you can see it from the main road on the left it goes straight up for a couple of hundred meters) the pretty much flat with a drop back into town

thats as much as i know
    I heard the Women course is diffrent from the Mens no hills pan flat dont really see the point in this.

womens/ vets course is out in the middle of nowhere on sat, guessing the didnt want to close sligo on a saturday ?

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=e800743791f8cfff2b8d81ee61436c4f&rs=http%3A//www.irishcyclingchamps.com/cgi-bin/snippet.cgi%3Ftodo%3Das_page%26instance%3D4541017046%26num%3D1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know a few women racing it who'll be delighted to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

el tonto wrote: »
    I know a few women racing it who'll be delighted to hear that.

I know a few that are not too happy and want the tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

Does anyone know how the RR loop rides? Is it tough? Steep sections?

are you gonna have a lash on sunday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Tullyhill is a short climb,it is the one you can see from the road.

The road out of town as far as dunally cross is a drag most of the way but nothing major. The road that leads down to the number 5 on the map, the start of tullyhill is a not a great surface.

Hope to get out to see some of it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

garminguy wrote: »
    are you gonna have a lash on sunday week?

It clashes with the European MTB Marathon champs which I'm all booked up for - was contemplating the RR Champs (and dropping the Euros) if the circuit was very tough.

It clashes with the European MTB Marathon champs which I'm all booked up for - was contemplating the RR Champs (and dropping the Euros) if the circuit was very tough.

go on , you know you want to!

think of all the hassle of airports and transporting bikes compared to a leisurely drive to scenic west ireland!

• Advertisement

deignan's not on the start list for the road race on sunday

martin determined to reclaim title
    http://www.irishprocycling.com/news/martin/martin-determined-reclaim-national-title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5003.shtml

Paddy Callally in the Vet's break - might cause an upset amongst established vets!!!

Sure it's a young man's game this cycling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Pan flat me BO***X!

shnoop wrote: »
    Pan flat me BO***X!

what you trying to say ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Pan flat me BO***X!
    Nice!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

real shame that the Irish jersey won't be in the main peloton for the next year :( fair play though beating Roche

congrats to Matt Brammeier (an post) on winning today

some photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10351061@N00/sets/72157624245623399/

4739729394_4ab458d203.jpg

finish
    118249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Dissapointed that Roche did'nt reclaim the jersey as I liked been able to see him clearly in the bumch and it was great for Irish cycling.

On the other hand it's great that a rider from a non major pro team was able to beat Ireland's best pro riders.

Congrats to Matt Brammeier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

An English man beat a French man to become Irish National Champion.

ha was wondering who was gonna spot that

• Advertisement

Closely followed by another two englishmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Don't know anything about Brammeier but I think it's unfair on Roche to say that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Don't know anything about Brammeier but I think it's unfair on Roche to say that.

It was only an observation, i didn't mean anything by it. I'm not trying to imply that they shouldn't be representing Ireland or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It was only an observation, i didn't mean anything by it. I'm not trying to imply that they shouldn't be representing Ireland or anything like that.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Closely followed by another two englishmen!

Dan Martins mother is Stephen Roches's sister so he qualifies directly for an Irish passport.

I'd like to see you call David McCann English to his face ....
    Belfast (West) born and bred and has represented Ireland internationally for close on 20 years.

just back from a windy sligo and as the seniors were cresting the top of the climb on lap 7, dan martin said some words of encouragement to a junior way behind the leaders which i thought was a nice think to do in the heat of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

All ye slagging nationalities above are off the mark.

Whatever the circumstances the guys have declared for Ireland and are Irish.

If ye were all so smart why didn't ye lodge objections on CI's rules etc at the last AGM.

Regarding Matt Brenenimeener or whatever his name is wearing the shamrock jersey for next year and not Roche in the TDF - boo hoo - the better man won on the day - fair play to him.

Just cos Roche is only Irish man riding tour doesn't give him a God given right to wear the Nat Champs jersey - you have to earn it, he failed in that respect today.

PS - I wouldn't be the biggest fan of DMcC as people may know on boards.ie but as RobFowl said he has represented Ireland many times.

Irish cycling should be complimented over the fact it has virtually eradicated what could be called secretarianism etc. in the sport on the island over the years.

Compare this to the antics that still prevail in Northern Irish soccer and there's no comparison.

In my day I enjoyed going up racing up North - in the sporting arena it was an eye opener to see that we are all human and equal when you take away the religious divides. Sport can be a great healer - silly comments on here don't do much to credit the people that did alot for the sport and society in general throughout Ireland over the years.

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

If ye were all so smart why didn't ye lodge objections on CI's rules etc at the last AGM.

Regarding Matt Brenenimeener or whatever his name is wearing the shamrock jersey for next year and not Roche in the TDF - boo hoo - the better man won on the day - fair play to him.

Just cos Roche is only Irish man riding tour doesn't give him a God given right to wear the Nat Champs jersey - you have to earn it, he failed in that respect today.

PS - I wouldn't be the biggest fan of DMcC as people may know on boards.ie but as RobFowl said he has represented Ireland many times.

Irish cycling should be complimented over the fact it has virtually eradicated what could be called secretarianism etc. in the sport on the island over the years.

Compare this to the antics that still prevail in Northern Irish soccer and there's no comparison.

In my day I enjoyed going up racing up North - in the sporting arena it was an eye opener to see that we are all human and equal when you take away the religious divides. Sport can be a great healer - silly comments on here don't do much to credit the people that did alot for the sport and society in general throughout Ireland over the years.

Rant over

I don't think anyone is having a dig a DmcC or at any of the Northern boys riding for Ireland, but more the flip flop nature of Dan Martin and Brammeier, both rode for England, and in Martin's case he wasn't getting enough support for the road career he wanted so he changed. It's almost mercenary like in appearance what they've done, hmm this federation isn't suiting me lets change. I know in other codes, there are parentage rules, and some have residency rules, but most prohibit a person changing national teams if they've played for country a's national team at some level, so I do think Cycling is a bit different there, and can seem a little disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

A passport doesn't make you Irish, it's a bit deeper than that.

If you've declared for another country as a senior rider and represented that nation, I don't think you should be allowed switch.
    Irish cycling shouldn't become the "B" team for any other nation.

David McCann would probably have benefitted through the years by not declaring for Ireland, fair dues to him for sticking to his roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I Don't know anything about BRAMMEIER other than what I just read about him on Wikipedia, but I hope this win will lead him to team that enters televised events (protour mostly) as I'll really miss seeing the jersey on the box over the next year

aah come i dont think anyones been (particularly) serious here, we were laughing at the race (out of earshot of anyone from liverpool ;) ) how the grand parent rule had come back to haunt ireland.

anyway as everyone says hes declared fro ireland and thats that,, if these guy's racing here gives people a target and they end up racing against them more regularly that can only be a good thing

Heres my garmin stats for the vets race,definately NOT pan flat!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38459456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Frankly, I am all for the granny rule if it gives us some interest in the bigger races. It was great having Roche, Martin, Deignan in the grand tours last year. In fact if the likes of Cancellara so much as once owned an Irish Red Setter or saw the movie Darby O'Gill, I would be trying to get him to take an Irish passport.

Anyway, Brammeier is a scouser. Sure they are as Irish as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Well done to the winner, who give a flying frizzby where he is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Well done to them all. the best man on the day won and thats what its all about.

Great news too about sam bennett. The best of luck to him. Protour here comes another!

• Advertisement

Well done to them all. the best man on the day won and thats what its all about.

Great news too about sam bennett. The best of luck to him. Protour here comes another!

He's signed a stagaire contract with FDJ for the rest of the season I believe, and just to throw more on the fire, Sam's Belgian..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Junior wrote: »
    He's signed a stagaire contract with FDJ for the rest of the season I believe, and just to throw more on the fire, Sam's Belgian..

Thats awesome news - he's pure class.

I reckon its a huge complement to Ireland and Irishness if anyone decides to claim citizenship and even more impressive when they are top class athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Junior wrote: »

Great news but...

There is no fear of him declaring for Belgium at any point is there?

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Great news but...

There is no fear of him declaring for Belgium at any point is there?

Not a hope, he was just born there, his mum and dad are both irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Took a while but I managed to get interviews with all the main riders after the National Champs - interesting chats with Sam Bennett aswell as the top 3 riders in the Vets race.

Can find them on my blog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement