Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

towels shedding fluff after 9 months of use - Entitled to refund??

Options
  • 15-06-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I bought a selection of black towels about 9 months ago in Dunnes Stores for my new apartment.

I have been constantly using them for the past 9 months including washing them and they are STILL shedding fluff.

My bathroom is constantly covered in black fibres from the towels as is my body when I dry myself after showering and face after using the face cloth.

Question is, can I now bring back the towels to Dunnes Stores so should I just build a bridge and get over it and buy new towels elsewhere??

I would think that I am entitled to a refund as they are clearly a "faulty" product to be still shedding after 9 months???

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

niamh4626 wrote: »
    I bought a selection of black towels about 9 months ago in Dunnes Stores for my new apartment.

I have been constantly using them for the past 9 months including washing them and they are STILL shedding fluff.

My bathroom is constantly covered in black fibres from the towels as is my body when I dry myself after showering and face after using the face cloth.

Question is, can I now bring back the towels to Dunnes Stores so should I just build a bridge and get over it and buy new towels elsewhere??

I would think that I am entitled to a refund as they are clearly a "faulty" product to be still shedding after 9 months???

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

9 months is a little long to wait for things to improve. Maybe just bad quality towels but you've waited a long time to report it.

I bought a rug from Argos that for the first couple of weeks did nothing more than shed purple fluff. Took that back to argos when it didn't improve and got refund but 9 months? hmm if it was a high cost item perhaps but towels?

X

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some towels can be very low quality...you'll generally know this from the price you pay, if they are low quality they can shed alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've bought towels in dunnes and penneys before to save money, but to be honest they were ****e. They are in no way absorbant and just generally crap. Better off going somewhere a bit pricier and getting something decent. They will last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

yeah, I think i remember those black towels I bought a pack of them too. They are AWFUL. You'd need a 2nd shower to get rid of all the crap all over you.

I just put mine in the guestroom and learned to shell out more for decent towels! Sometimes you just have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

zoegh wrote: »
    I just put mine in the guestroom and learned to shell out more for decent towels! Sometimes you just have to.

Don't invite me to stay with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Cool, thanks for the relplies, now answer me this, the more I pay for a towel the better quality it is????? If I go to Arnotts and spend €15-€20 per towel I will get ones that don't shed????????? I don't want to be wasting any more money on crappy towels!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you buy new towels, wash them twice, and if they still sheds on first use then bring them back.

You could chance bringing the existing ones back, but I don't know if they'd do anything. Do you still have the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some of the best towels i have ever bought have been from Michael Guineys. You have to keep an eye open till they get a batch of towels from a good firm, end of line, slight seconds etc, but you can get really good quality towels very cheaply. Same applies to bedding, look out for good names and a high thread count and you can do very well.

I would not buy black, bright red or other very strongly coloured towels as the dye is not always reliable, and while fluff does come off - for the lifetime of the towel in fact, that's why they get thin - a lighter colour is less noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

9 months is too long to have decided that they are faulty.

One of the first things it says on consumerconnect.ie in the case of faulty goods is to act quickly - the longer you leave it, it looks as if you have accepted the product - fault included.

That said, I don't think that this is a case of a faulty product. Just poor quality.

I have purchased towels from Dunnes as well. In 2007 I got chocolate brown towel bales and they are great, lots of use, they have kept their colour relatively well and have not thinned out with constant washing.

I bought some orange ones recently to add a splash of colour to the bathroom but they were crap. They shed, and were considerably thinner than the original brown ones.

As other posters have suggested - buying decent towels in the likes of Arnotts is the way forward. They always have great deals in the towel dept and also in the bargain basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Well, jsut to update you all, I decided to bring the towels back to Dunnes Stores and I explaned the problem and low and behold they offered me a full refund...... They got the quality control person to have a chat with me and she actually said they had many problems with the particular range...... Now thats what I call a result and excellent customer service :) So off to arnotts I go tomorrow on my lunch break!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wow, congratulations, and good for Dunnes too. (Never thought I would hear myself saying that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Would you not reward Dunnes good customer service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

I'm impressed by dunnes didn't think you would get a refund :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

looksee wrote: »
    Some of the best towels i have ever bought have been from Michael Guineys. You have to keep an eye open till they get a batch of towels from a good firm, end of line, slight seconds etc, but you can get really good quality towels very cheaply. Same applies to bedding, look out for good names and a high thread count and you can do very well.

The slight seconds can usually offer best value. Clerys / Arnotts etc always have deals on especially with summer sales starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Wow, I'm impressed with Dunnes Customer Services on this occassion!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Well, jsut to update you all, I decided to bring the towels back to Dunnes Stores and I explaned the problem and low and behold they offered me a full refund...... They got the quality control person to have a chat with me and she actually said they had many problems with the particular range...... Now thats what I call a result and excellent customer service :) So off to arnotts I go tomorrow on my lunch break!! :D

That is great Customer Service. Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Advertisement