Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out my apartment.

• 15-06-2010 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be soon renting out my apartment and moving on ( renting another apartment with gf ). So really I just need to know what I should be looking out for.
    Is it worth going with a letting company or should I just do it myself on daft?? What benefits do I get with going with an agent?
    As a landlord , what other things do I need to do ( does my tax status change , do I have to have my property insured and alarmed , do I have to register with any particular bodies etc.. )
    To be honest , the whole thing is quite overwhelming and slightly daunting , so any help would be fantastic!!

AB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

anbrutog wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be soon renting out my apartment and moving on ( renting another apartment with gf ). So really I just need to know what I should be looking out for.
    Is it worth going with a letting company or should I just do it myself on daft?? What benefits do I get with going with an agent?
    As a landlord , what other things do I need to do ( does my tax status change , do I have to have my property insured and alarmed , do I have to register with any particular bodies etc.. )
    To be honest , the whole thing is quite overwhelming and slightly daunting , so any help would be fantastic!!

AB

check out this in relation to what standards your apartment has to meet before renting
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/repairs-maintenance-and-minimum-physical-standards
    you will also need to pay tax on your rental income and insure and alarm it you also need to register with the PRTB - private resident tenancy board
    http://www.prtb.ie/
    I'd ring the prtb they will be able to guide you further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IN theory will find tenants for you, arrange for rent to be paid into your bank account,you,ll have to tell him are you looking for working tenants, will you accept rent allowance tenant etc he ,ll prepare a lease, rental agreement, collect a deposit etc YOU should inform your insurance company ,take out public liability insurance if you decide to rent.ITS up to you , as to install an alarm or not. i know 2 landlords , they pay prsi, the tax they pay is very small, cos the mortgage is 12k, their rental income is ten k, plus you get tax credits for insurance, maintenance, mortgage tax credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

ricman wrote: »
    IN theory will find tenants for you, arrange for rent to be paid into your bank account,you,ll have to tell him are you looking for working tenants, will you accept rent allowance tenant etc he ,ll prepare a lease, rental agreement, collect a deposit etc YOU should inform your insurance company ,take out public liability insurance if you decide to rent.ITS up to you , as to install an alarm or not. i know 2 landlords , they pay prsi, the tax they pay is very small, cos the mortgage is 12k, their rental income is ten k, plus you get tax credits for insurance, maintenance, mortgage tax credits.

Thanks for the info folks :)

Advertisement