Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 2... Honours

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

I didn't understand the An Triail question, and didn't know the Teicníceanna at all, so I had to answer the first one. I didn't understand what the question meant, all I saw was conflict so I just went through the answer pointing out all the conflict - Máire and Mother, Máire and Family, with the social worker and even the family's conflict with the attorneys! No mention to faults or love.

I'll get some marks, right? I'd hate to get 0 for it considering I spent over a half an hour writing the answer!

The rest of the paper went well. Poetry is surprisingly wingable - thank god the poems are written out on the page.

Yeah you should at least get 20 provided you wrote enough, thats what my teacher told me anyway as I did the same. Remember though it's only worth like 6.67%!!!!:eek: So don't worry about it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

lc2010 wrote: »
    Yeah you should at least get 20 provided you wrote enough, thats what my teacher told me anyway as I did the same. Remember though it's only worth like 6.67%!!!!:eek: So don't worry about it!

I'd be happy with 20. I did very little study for Paper 2, as I think it is bad value for 'money'. Think of the amount of time put into studying Stair na Gaelige. It only accounts for the same marks as the sliocht, and it's much easier to get full marks, or very close to it, in the sliocht than it is in Stair na Gaelige. I happened to get very lucky with SnaG today, but there were only two options on the paper, Canúintí and Béaloidis (thanks Clare Grealy!) that I was able to answer, and I only studied 4 answers (those and Fiannaíocht and Gaelige Mar Theanga Ceiltis).

Yeah I know it's terrible value, the majority of my study was crammed for it this morning and the gambles I took seemed to pay off I also only knew bealoidis and canunti. Aswell as an chead drama, an toilean and maighdileana! I knew the pass poens and learnt clare cearrbach and 20 bliain this morning!
    It's so stupid that its the paper we focus on for 2 years and its only worth 30%!:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

lc2010 wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's terrible value, the majority of my study was crammed for it this morning and the gambles I took seemed to pay off I also only knew bealoidis and canunti. Aswell as an chead drama, an toilean and maighdileana! I knew the pass poens and learnt clare cearrbach and 20 bliain this morning!
    It's so stupid that its the paper we focus on for 2 years and its only worth 30%!:P

That's exactly what I did. EXACTLY! Are you me? :)

Wow I can't believe it's only 30%. It's all we've ever done in class. When we'd finished all the texts he just went back over them again - we never even touched on Paper One. We had never done any Reading Comprehensions or anything.

The Irish Subject needs a complete revamp. But now that I'm done with Irish forever I don't care as much about the outdated syllabus :)

That's exactly what I did. EXACTLY! Are you me? :)
    LOL:p
    But now that I'm done with Irish forever I don't care as much about the outdated syllabus :)
    +1
    It feels so good to be rid of that terrible subject FOREVER!!!!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

zam wrote: »
    allegorical
    I don't even fully understand what that means in English... But luckily our Irish teacher was obsessed with the word!

I assumed it meant judgment, for some reason. Allegorical makes much more sense now in the context of the question. Oh well, no point dwelling now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

i said for the an trial that there was no love shown how maries mother only cared about the neighbours as did bean ui chinsealaigh.. nd how padraig deserted her when he found out she was preggers....
    stair na gaeilge only one of the topics i studied came up but i bullsh*t my way through meath na gaeilge sa 19u aois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 milfordcubicle

anyone do the uirchill an chreagan question? wasn't too bad i thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

I assumed it meant judgment, for some reason. Allegorical makes much more sense now in the context of the question. Oh well, no point dwelling now.

I thought it meant philosophical for some reason...wouldn't have guessed allegorical in a million years!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

anyone do the uirchill an chreagan question? wasn't too bad i thought..

I did, it was just about how the poet was sad and how the country was in a state and then the verse was the last verse and the medaracht was a little tricky, i wrote like 7 lines on it, should it get me the marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

I thought paper 2 was a generally handy paper :p
    My only problem was with the stair, which I completely messed up and didn't really know anything for, as I was predicting for Fimíníocht to come up. :rolleyes:

But otherwise I was delighted when I saw An Chead Drama, Níl aon Ní, Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa, Clare sa Spéir and Fiche Bliain ag Fás on the paper. They were the only ones that I knew in great detail. :D
    And then for An Triail, I didn't understand the question completely (FYI I did part 1) but I just took the keywords out of it: lochtanna, coimhlint, grá, and then I just tied them words into my answer. So I should be alright.

Just a pity the stair was difficult.

Otherwise on paper 1, the first comprehension was difficult, and so I couldn't exactly put it into my own words. The 2nd comprehension was much easier.

And for Aiste i did (b), so I brought politicians, unemployment, government, recession and all that crap into my Aiste, so I think it went well.

My oral went exceptionally well, as far as I can remember anyway.

Aural was pretty handy enough, except for a couple of minor things. Does anybody know who the girls relation was who went to that college in Nice in France that she was also going to. I couldn't understand what she said. And the very last question in tha aural: was it 4 or 24 students who got the award/scholarship or whatever it was?

Otherwise Irish was easier than I had anticipated it to be. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

It means the main themes of the play grow from the fault of those who hid behind the appearance of love. I talked bout the Mum being a bitch, Padraig being an ass and society in general just being pure stingy! My teacher said that should be okay cos Maire's mum and Padraig should've loved Maire but didn't and only pretended etc

exactly what i did:P

i ran out of time....... theres 24 marks that i cant acount for:( ...still worked out my results and im on track for a b1 ...sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

madraglic wrote: »
    anyone know what "fathchiallach" meant for "an chead drama" question??
    It means 'two meanings', the books are obsessed with the word 'allegorical' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I see everyone is angered by the An Triail Q...

Here's my take.

I came in, did Stair first. Did 3 poets to be safe and Meath na Gaeilge

Then An Triail.

I didn't fully know what it meant. I knew the first half meant 'conflict grows from faults and human vices'. The 'a cheiltear faoi chosúlacht an grá' part threw me. I didn't want to do the techniques question even though I knew Iardhearcaidh well. I was afraid if I used something like 'realistic themes' it wouldn't count as a drama technique and I'd lose out.

I wrote pretty much this, in order:

paragraph 1: - introduce drama - 'Is drama corraitheach é An Triail le Mairéad Ní Ghráda....blah blah, then just tacked on the question's quote at the end with 'agus cinnte go bhfuil + quote fitted in'

p2: Wrote about faults of maire being muiníneach agus saonta, Pádraig being feallteach agus ag teastáil a chuid ainsrianta a shásamh. I specifically used the words 'duailci' and 'lochtanna' when examining these faults and since I didn't FULLY get the title, I said 'tá na lochtanna is na duailci seo ceangailte le cursai grá'

p3: I wrote about how Maire is thrown out, struggles, gets kicked out by an Bean Uasal, put under pressure by the social worker etc. but then said because she believed in LOVE, and couldn't control her emotions, conflict grew. I think I tacked on the quote again to reinforce the point but in retrospect it probably comes across as me just not knowing what it means...

p3: Discussed how society is hyprocritical and how everyone believes in 'Grá Dé' even though they don't show any carthanacht do Mhaire. I said that the love between men and women is a source of faults/vice as well as the love people claim to have for God. Tacked quote on again.

p4: said that at the end, conflict could not be overcome due to personal faults of maire and as a result she was needlessly dead. some more points about love and how it is fite fuaite leis an méid sin, but I never specifically referred to the whole 'hidden beneath guise of love' thing...

Conclusion pg: Was...."Tá an Triail sa Dráma seo ar siuil chun freagra a chur ar an cheist 'An bhfuil Máire ciontach nó neamhchiontach?' Ach tá sochaí i gcoitinne faoi bhreith...de bharr lochtanna agus duailci. Tacked on quote again and then said something like 'clearly this is correct'.

I mentally gave myself like 20/40 and cursed the so-and-so who came up with that Q. What do yous think, would I do alright with what I have done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

Does anybody know who the girls relation was who went to that college in Nice in France that she was also going to. I couldn't understand what she said. And the very last question in tha aural: was it 4 or 24 students who got the award/scholarship or whatever it was?
    :D

-For the relation,i said deartháir (the pronunciation was really confusing though..it was like drhár :P)
    -The number of students was 24..ceithre 's fich'

Btw,there's a separate thread for discussing the aural.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

student01 wrote: »
    -For the relation,i said deartháir (the pronunciation was really confusing though..it was like drhár :P)
    -The number of students was 24..ceithre 's fich'

Btw,there's a separate thread for discussing the aural.

Yeah I only noticed that there like a minute ago :o
    But anyways, yeah I wrote down 24, but I think I wrote down col ceather instead of dearthar. It was impossible to hear what she was saying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm still too scared to read this thread to see how much I got wrong! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm still too scared to read this thread to see how much I got wrong! :pac:

I doubt you'll see too much of that. It's not like math or something like that, you could have a tenuously constructed answer and still be fine with languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Didnt have a clue what the an trial question meant. Something about characters growing together like love or something.

Didnt do the techniques one, teacher said "ah sure that wont come up!"

didnt have a clue so just left it out, 40 marks down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

i was pretty lucky..

the 3 pass poems i studied came up..
    uircheal an creagain was the only honours poem i studied..
    and it came up..
    fiche blain ag fas and clare sa speir came up - the only ones i studied..

no stair.. but the paper was nice enough to me! :D

listening = some yucky bits..:p
    overall.. not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

It was alrite..I think I thought the An Triail question was hard though and stair was a bit of a disaster for me :(
    hoping for a C though I need a C for my course so *fingers crossed*:o

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

the pros question on claire sa speir was lovely.
    i had it and 20 bliain ag fás learnt so I was jammy enough.

the an trial q was hard and received a lot of criticism so I expect it to be marked easily. I didn't think it went too badly I just wrote the fimineacht essay and stuck in the quote here and there

for the stair i got very lucky i had only leant 6 poets an fhianniocht and canuinti so I was seriously lucky.
    I did an chead drama which was a fair enough question

i knew níl aon ní but I didn't know what faoiseamh was about
    but then i realised what every irish poem is about
    some buck from the gaeltacht moaning about Dublin!!
    it was a good paper I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

bubblz wrote: »
    i disagreed with the statement i said though they were pleasureable memories that she has no regret as they were 2 different people and it wouldnt have worked

for an trial i said how i didnt agree with the statement and how no love was shown at all

Same! So glad someone else did that too. I said even though she doesn't regret that nothing came out of their relationship, the pleasureable memories of that summer inspire happiness in the poet's heart. She knew what was in store for both of them, she was a city girl, he lived out the country, the quote his father will give him land, he will marry and raise a family. I also mentioned that we do not get the impression that she wishes that she was that wife, who is with him now. Or something. :P Phew thank god someone agrees with me! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

LL92 wrote: »
    Same! So glad someone else did that too. I said even though she doesn't regret that nothing came out of their relationship, the pleasureable memories of that summer inspire happiness in the poet's heart. She knew what was in store for both of them, she was a city girl, he lived out the country, the quote his father will give him land, he will marry and raise a family. I also mentioned that we do not get the impression that she wishes that she was that wife, who is with him now. Or something. :P Phew thank god someone agrees with me! :pac::pac:

can't really remember all i said for the jack but it was that he would marry and have a family while she would go to college & that she has loving memories of the summer they spent together
    really giving my exams a post mortem... was HALF as worried last year and i did nothing for them last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

bubblz wrote: »
    can't really remember all i said for the jack but it was that he would marry and have a family while she would go to college & that she has loving memories of the summer they spent together
    really giving my exams a post mortem... was HALF as worried last year and i did nothing for them last year...

Ah yeah, but at least we have the same idea! :D The only reason I only agreed with half of it was cause I remembered the sentence about the aifeala in the book! :p Oh stop i've done it in every one of them! When I get home it's the calculator straight away tryin to work out my mark, lookin on boards, raping the exam section of the newspaper.. :pac: It's so bad though cause I think i've got lower than I wanted in every single exam. :confused:

Advertisement