Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using chargers etc in america

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experience of getting a voltage converter to use irish/euro electronics in north america? Bringing a laptop and also a DSLR charger and defo don't want them to get fried.

Cheers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's no problem this way, you just need a plug adapter- I have done it many times and my laptop never had issues. Going the other way (US computer to Europe) has more potential issues as European voltage is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Most electronics are rated for 100-240V so you only need an adapter rather that a voltage converter. The rating will be marked on the plug/transformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I bought a voltage converter for my hair straightener (wasn't getting enough power). I have tried several times to get it working but each time the converter blows a fuse. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it the right way but nothing seems to work. I've ended up just buying a US ghd, its never dangerous to plug them directly Irish -> US (with plug adapter) you just may not get as much power (e.g. your laptop may take a little longer to charge etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Most electronics are rated for 100-240V so you only need an adapter rather that a voltage converter. The rating will be marked on the plug/transformer.

+1000

In the old days you needed a transformer but generally not any more. If your device has the 100-240v then all you need is an adapter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement