Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router on Irish broadband ripwave

Options
  • 15-06-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a weird problem. I have a 3mb ripwave IBB and it orks fine with my laptop (getting IP and all that).

Yesterday I got a DSL/Cable router which I was hoping to hook up with the IBB. The problem is that It wont get IP assigned.

I tried to reset router to factory defaults setting it up as access point. I thought the IBB will DHCP the IP address to any device so in this case router should get one also.

I tried for around 1h with no luck.

Any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

ensure that the ripwave connects to the WAN port on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kraxzq

humaxf1 wrote: »
    ensure that the ripwave connects to the WAN port on the router

Yes, I have it there (the main one) - blue, others are yellow (4 of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Not sure if this will work, but its worth mentioning. I was under the impression that only cable providers did this, as a form of account control, but here it is anyway just in case.

Providers sometimes lock the network to a specific device, usually this is to the modem itself, but I've heard of cases where it was to peoples PCs. The locking is based on the MAC address of whatever device you use to connect and its why most routers (all that I've ever used anyway) contain the ability to clone the MAC address from a PC. Just get the MAC address from your wired interface and put it into the MAC address clone of your router. Hopefully you should be able to get a DHCP lease then. The only reason I mention this is because it fits the symptoms that your are seeing, so its worth a shot. Hope it helps.

Advertisement