Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strat mods

Options
  • 15-06-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you may know, i have a squire classic vibe that i bought purely to mod. I've done a few bits, weird pickups, gold hardware, new scratch plate. Nothing too major.
    Anyway, after the meetup there on the weekend, i want P90's!!! And was thinking about keeping things simple. Buy a blank scratch plate on ebay that i can fit any pickup to, fit a hole for a P90 in the neck position. And having nothing but a kill switch and an input jack!
    Am i crazy?:D
    Tbh, i think it could be just about the most awesome thing in the world!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Sound like it could be very interesting! :D

Personally wouldnt have the killswitch alone... Maybe have it with a volume knob as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sound like it could be very interesting! :D

Personally wouldnt have the killswitch alone... Maybe have it with a volume knob as well?

Common sense would say have a volume pot. But there's a crazy person in my head saying just have a kill switch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Common sense would say have a volume pot. But there's a crazy person in my head saying just have a kill switch!

You could always add a volume knob later on anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Hmmm, I wonder what inspired these kerrazzy thoughts of yours Alan?!!

Personally, I'd go for a P90 in the bridge position, I never really liked Strat bridge pickups, especially wired normally with no tone control. But then again sonic beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Neck or bridge, it would be a cool mod on a Strat.

As an aside, the P90s in the Hamer have a lot more 'sizzle' going on and are the most Fenderish to my ears, the Bareknuckles in the SG are darker with a more vintage Gibson P90 vibe. I really like the Seymour Duncan P90 in the neck position of the Hamer, it sounds superb. Had you a brand in mind?

boycey wrote: »

Personally, I'd go for a P90 in the bridge position, I never really liked Strat bridge pickups, especially wired normally with no tone control. But then again sonic beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Neck or bridge, it would be a cool mod on a Strat.

As an aside, the P90s in the Hamer have a lot more 'sizzle' going on and are the most Fenderish to my ears, the Bareknuckles in the SG are darker with a more vintage Gibson P90 vibe. I really like the Seymour Duncan P90 in the neck position of the Hamer, it sounds superb. Had you a brand in mind?

I really have no idea what P90 i would even buy. But i think i want to just have a single pickup in it! Like a someones junior i may have been playing!
    117100.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

boycey wrote: »

IMHO that Hamer sounded deadly.
    I'd try out the P90 in both neck and bridge positions (why not middle too?) on the strat before deciding on a scratchplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Hey man,
    Why not have the killswitch plus a pushpull volume pot.
    In one poisition you'd a volume control, with treble bleed of course, and the other position would be straight across the output jack.
    An alternitive would be to use one of those "off" pots that are disconnected completely when they it 10. It'd be a more elegant an simple way of doing the same thing.
    While you're at it; a neat trick is to insert a resistor (1k works well with a 500k pot ;)) between the ground lug and ground itself. This gives you a variable gain control if you're using a OD pedal or a distorted amp. Now you'll be able to wind your volume control all the way down and have a clean rather than turning it off completely, that's what the kill switch is for anyway. :)
    It's the same as being able to get to that .7 position that just passes signal but you just need to turn it completely, much easier in a gig. The treble bleed cap would ensure that it doesn't get muddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Hey man,
    In one poisition you'd a volume control, with treble bleed of course, and the other position would be straight across the output jack.
    An alternitive would be to use one of those "off" pots that are disconnected completely when they it 10. It'd be a more elegant an simple way of doing the same thing.
    While you're at it; a neat trick is to insert a resistor (1k works well with a 500k pot ;)) between the ground lug and ground itself. This gives you a variable gain control if you're using a OD pedal or a distorted amp. Now you'll be able to wind your volume control all the way down and have a clean rather than turning it off completely, that's what the kill switch is for anyway. :)
    It's the same as being able to get to that .7 position that just passes signal but you just need to turn it completely, much easier in a gig. The treble bleed cap would ensure that it doesn't get muddy.

How about that Seymour Duncan that is all 3, single coil, P90 and humbucker. You would need a 3 way switch to change them.

Gold hardware.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Or how about a killpot? A killswitch and volume pot in one. I have one in a Strat and it works extremely well:

64911d56-39fe-47c2-93be-f1c083a4b63d.jpg

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Hey man,

Wow, what a post! Cheers Paolo. I've a lot to think about.

However i must stress that my knowledge of electronics/wiring isn't the best, some might even say it's terrible! So the above may be a bit over kill. I had never even heard of an "off" pot. It sounds ideal.

I have a blank scratch plate ordered, so deciding to add two more pickups wont be an issue, no matter what they are. As a test run, before taking the plunge on a nice P90, i might wire in a texas special strat pickup or a Telecaster bridge pickup in the neck that i have lying around.

Thanks for all the posts. I honestly can't wait to get this started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

You cant have any more fun than on a single pickup guitar, especially with a p90 & with paulo's input its going to be better than ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

How about that Seymour Duncan that is all 3, single coil, P90 and humbucker. You would need a 3 way switch to change them.

Gold hardware.......:eek:

That is a damn good idea. Versatility and simplicity at the same time!

Advertisement