Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts on the Quay

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

alinton wrote: »
    What rubbish. More tourists will come if the main road through the town is less than four lanes? (It's not a dual carriageway now).

I can see the tourist brochures now: "Come to Waterford. Our main road only has two lanes!"

Agreed, more traffic should use the bypass, but that would happen by reducing or 'sensibilising' the punitive tolls.

What would bring more tourists and revitalise the city centre is to rethink all the city council's policies which have destroyed it in the first place.

Not spending scarce money on vanity schemes that will actually do no good. What we need are less empty buildings and for sale/to let signs everywhere. Visitors to Waterford have told me that its this which makes the place look run-down and forsaken.

The Quay should have been prettied up several years ago when the country was awash with money, not now the country is broke.

A.

Having a two lane road will look bad, don't be ridiculous, Patrick street in cork Is two lanes, o connell street in limerick is two lanes(and they've an awful quayside in the city side with one lane on other side), most city roads in London are two lanes, it's a tiny city with a bypass, absolutely no need for 4 lanes through the city!! traffic off the quay is the first step towards reinvigorating the quays!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm not saying it wouldn't lovely to change the Quay carriageway, I have a problem with doing it NOW, at a time when the government is struggling to keep the country afloat because expenditure is more than income.

If MY expenditure was more than my income, I sure wouldn't be spending more money tarmacking my driveway.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

alinton wrote: »
    I'm not saying it wouldn't lovely to change the Quay carriageway, I have a problem with doing it NOW, at a time when the government is struggling to keep the country afloat because expenditure is more than income.

If MY expenditure was more than my income, I sure wouldn't be spending more money tarmacking my driveway.

A.

No but if you owned a factory you might tarmac the driveway so that trucks can carry away your produce.

What makes sense at an individual level does not always make sense at the aggregate.

We spent money on Waterford Crystal and I think its worth it. Should we just give up on maintaining and improving our city, looking at the short term and to hell with the future?

Its called 'investment'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Investing in the future means investing locally.

If they are going to do this give local companies the opportunity to quote for the work unlike the disgrace that happened at the new glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Investing in the future means investing locally.

If they are going to do this give local companies the opportunity to quote for the work unlike the disgrace that happened at the new glass

All public work MUST go to tender - it is not the council's fault if no local company puts in a quote

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Bards wrote: »
    All public work MUST go to tender - it is not the council's fault if no local company puts in a quote

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/

The work on the quay will be for anyone who wishes to tender for can go down that route alright.

Advertisement