Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromore Lake and Bleach Lough ???

• 15-06-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Dromore Lake and Bleach Lough - Both strike me as nice places to visit this Summer - But know very little about either place - even how to get there and where to park etc.

Could I please ask the below general questions in respect of each - Any advice greatly appreciated.

Could someone please explain if there's actual walks/Trails etc? Are they good places to visit for a few hours on a sunny Saturday?

Is there safe swimming in clean water?

- Finally could someone please post directions of how to get there, starting from where exactly it is that you turn off the main road, up to and including where exactly you can park your Car :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Raiser wrote: »
    Dromore Lake and Bleach Lough - Both strike me as nice places to visit this Summer - But know very little about either place - even how to get there and where to park etc.

Could I please ask the below general questions in respect of each - Any advice greatly appreciated.

Could someone please explain if there's actual walks/Trails etc? Are they good places to visit for a few hours on a sunny Saturday?

Is there safe swimming in clean water?

- Finally could someone please post directions of how to get there, starting from where exactly it is that you turn off the main road, up to and including where exactly you can park your Car :confused:
    There are no walks and the land around them is private property.
    There is small dirt road access to Bleach Lough. I do not know if it has Right of way.

If you want to to be near water you could swim at Beagh Castle pier near Ballysteen. You can swim near the shallow water when the tide is in.
    There is some parking and a park bench. There is a life buoy for safety and I see people dropping down small boats there for sailing and you have a view of Planes land and taking off at Shannon Airport. (Not Noisy) and if you are lucky see the odd ship to Limerick.
    You can turn off At Askeaton on the N69 to Ballysteen.
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,536031,657080,5

Also instead of swimming and you want walking trails there is quite a few around Limerick depending on the level of fitness. Curraghchase forest Park is a nice gentle walk around forest.
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=109
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,541524,649324,5

There is plenty of piers from the far side of Glin to Foynes and location for cars to pull over and walk the road (Footpaths available) along the Estuary. It a beautiful walk in the evening time during the summer.

Best Walk is from the kerry side of Glin
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,511577,647402,6
    to the Foynes side of Glin.
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,514087,648359,6

You can find Walking trails here
    http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Wow - Thanks a million for posting and in so much detail too :)

- I was starting to despair after 80 views and not even one reply!

Will check it all out in detail.

P.S. I'd also be delighted if someone could clarify re. access to Dromore Lake - I heard it really nice etc.

- Also any news on plans to tear down Dromore Castle???? Seems absolutely unbelievably wrong...... Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You have to pay 5 euro to drive in and park in Curraghchase though I dont mind as its kept in great condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

You can swim Dromore lake no probs its beautiful. Park in the car park at Bleach Lough and follow the track to the right from the car park. Its about a 20 min walk and there are electrical fences to be traversed. There is a quicker way but that is safest for your car.

You would not want to go alone as from time to time there can be a group of undesirables there - that is the only danger in the place!

Thanks for that - Must take a trip out there some day.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Mc Love wrote: »
    You have to pay 5 euro to drive in and park in Curraghchase though I dont mind as its kept in great condition
    for those who are cheap, Use the back gates and park along the road The back gates are closer to the chase than the official gates. anyway the yearly rate is not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Raiser wrote: »
    Wow - Thanks a million for posting and in so much detail too :)

- I was starting to despair after 80 views and not even one reply!

Will check it all out in detail.

P.S. I'd also be delighted if someone could clarify re. access to Dromore Lake - I heard it really nice etc.

- Also any news on plans to tear down Dromore Castle???? Seems absolutely unbelievably wrong...... Only in Ireland.

To be honest Raiser get yourself out to Dromore over the summer if you can.
    You won't be disappointed. I wish i could explain it to you how to get there. I just know the road from driving it myself. The water the last time is was there was very clean. Its also very cold even on a hot day.
    Go in to the Hiway pub in Dooradoyle sometime and ask one of the locals in there and i'd say they'll round up a gang and go with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

access to bleach lough is private and controlled by the local angling club....big locked gates at the entrance...i reckon there are much nicer places to go swimming than there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ok to get to Dromore I am assuming that you are coming from Limerick city direction and know how to get past Clarina. After you come out of Clarina you'll come across a long straight piece of road which is followed by a bridge with a pub on either side of it. After these turn right at the top of the hill, it's also on a bend so you'll know it when you see it. There should be a yellow and black sign for Bleach Lough. Basically just follow the map here. I would say it's roughly 4Km till the turn. The road is quite twisty and narrow in some places so take it handy! There will be another sign for Bleach Lough at a turn left that goes quite steep down a hill. You'll be on a long hilly road then. Bleach Lough can be seen on your left and access to Dromore is just on a bit further. It's hard to describe unless you know what you're looking for I'm afraid :o

Dir1.jpg

The second pic is a continuation from the first, no turn-offs here.

Dir2.jpg

Dir3.jpg

Ok I hope that helps somewhat, it probably made it very confusing though.

Wow Cocolola! What a way to do directions!

- And no its not confusing at all, you couldn't have been clearer without providing an actual guided Tour!!!

Very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Keanosmagic

dont go near bleach lough for a swim......not the nicest!!!!Dromore is very nice this time of year though (rain depending ha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Them be's bloddy detailed directions....tis about 6k from the n69 down...well it is according to my garmin when i cycle it.....as keanosmagis said stay away from bleach lough...def not the nicest to go into :P does produce some bloddy big pike though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Them be's bloddy detailed directions....tis about 6k from the n69 down...well it is according to my garmin when i cycle it.....as keanosmagis said stay away from bleach lough...def not the nicest to go into :P does produce some bloddy big pike though!

There have been loads of rudd in there in recent years that keep the pike happy along with whatever trout the pike can snaffle.

Kess73 wrote: »
    There have been loads of rudd in there in recent years that keep the pike happy along with whatever trout the pike can snaffle.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
    A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked;
    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
    Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

- Well if Kess can post about loads of Ruddy great big Trout snaffling happy Pike.

\ Back on topic, Bleach is controlled by an Angling Group?

I presume you'd be unwelcome to walk around it etc.?

Do you need a general Angling license and/or Angling Club Membership to fish it. If so assume most Clubs would issue short term etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Taking you long enough to get there Raiser... need help reading the map :p

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Bleach lough - recently redeveloped with major funding from the national lottery, a really nice place for fishing with much improved parking facilites. Option to hire boats, unsure of prices, but there is usually always someone there in the hut. Also has disabled persons access with lift for those in need of it. I'm local, and never hear of anyone going swimming here to be honest...awkward with boats and fish etc..

Dromore lake - private property, not that anyone pays any attention to that. Beautiful place to go on a sunny day, however beware of undesirables who park there cars anywhere they feel like, and binge drink at the lake.

Other directions to get to both - follow N69 in direction of Foynes, pass through the village of kildimo, once you leave you will pass 2 bad bends..roughly 300m after the 2nd bend, there is a narrow road to the right with a sign post for beach lough (just before turn off for Pallaskenry)..follow that and you should be fine. Note that the entrance to dromore lake is just where the road gets very bad after going downhill, in to the right. Beach lough entrance is also to the right +150m up the road.

Hope this helps!

Cul.

Thanks Cul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Bleach lough - recently redeveloped with major funding from the national lottery, a really nice place for fishing with much improved parking facilites. Option to hire boats, unsure of prices, but there is usually always someone there in the hut. Also has disabled persons access with lift for those in need of it. I'm local, and never hear of anyone going swimming here to be honest...awkward with boats and fish etc..

Dromore lake - private property, not that anyone pays any attention to that. Beautiful place to go on a sunny day, however beware of undesirables who park there cars anywhere they feel like, and binge drink at the lake.

Other directions to get to both - follow N69 in direction of Foynes, pass through the village of kildimo, once you leave you will pass 2 bad bends..roughly 300m after the 2nd bend, there is a narrow road to the right with a sign post for beach lough (just before turn off for Pallaskenry)..follow that and you should be fine. Note that the entrance to dromore lake is just where the road gets very bad after going downhill, in to the right. Beach lough entrance is also to the right +150m up the road.

Hope this helps!

Cul.

Sounds like Raiser would be at home there then. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mantalk

Cocolola, kindly remove this map as it suggests that my house is a parking area and entrance to Dromore Lake, which it is not!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cocolola is under no obligation to remove the map.

There is nothing in the map, or in the instructions with it, that refers to your house as a parking area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

mantalk wrote: »
    Cocolola, kindly remove this map as it suggests that my house is a parking area and entrance to Dromore Lake, which it is not!

Sorry mantalk, it was not my intention to suggest that your house is a parking area. However as Insect Overlord has already said, nowhere do I indicate that there any parking facilities, your house or otherwise.

And neither did I state that your house is the entrance to Dromore. I said the entrance is beside a house which (from what I recall) used to frequently have a lorry parked there.

Apologies again if that's how you took it.

Advertisement