Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview not rescheduled :(

Options
  • 15-06-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

3 1/2 weeks ago I got my letter to attend an interview the following week. I would of being on my holidays that week so I quickly phoned the admins office to explain. The letter stated i would not get another interview if i could not attend, but I have my confirmation of holiday mail which i also forwarded on to prove i would not be able attend.
    The admin asked me for my details and CAO number and said she would get back to me as she said there was an interview for another person the next day to which I suggested I would come in also if possible. I got up early next day waiting by the phone and at 9:30 still no call, so i rang again and she said she has my details and will contact me.

I sent various mails and had not got any update, yesterday I got an out of office reply so I emailed the sub and she said the interviews are finished.

Im really devastated, I am a mature student and had good refrences so I was fairly confidant of landing a place.
    I just think its unfair and I dont know what to do now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Contact the head of the department and see what they say. And I would ring them up, not email them. Calling them is the best route.

It is a pity how the admin. people messed you around a bit but most colleges are very strict on when they have the interviews. If you can't attend at the given then the opinion is tough luck on you. It really is up to you to make the interview at the given date. I had to fly back from Malaysia for an interview. .. and I didn't get a place that year. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SeamusO

Larianne wrote: »
    Contact the head of the department and see what they say. And I would ring them up, not email them. Calling them is the best route.

It is a pity how the admin. people messed you around a bit but most colleges are very strict on when they have the interviews. If you can't attend at the given then the opinion is tough luck on you. It really is up to you to make the interview at the given date. I had to fly back from Malaysia for an interview. .. and I didn't get a place that year. :cool:

Hi Larianne,

I rang a few times they said they will ring me back but they keep fobbing me off. I told the admin in good time she took my details and said she will get back to me. If I was told I had to attend at that point I could of missed my holiday, but the way I explained my situation and the way she took my details I though she would re-schedule. I was told there was an interview the following day so I rang and asked to come in thats when she took my details.

Definitely ring up the head of the department and see if there is anyway an exception could be made. You won't get any further with the office staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

+ 1 on what Larianne said, go straight to the head of the dept.

I applied for a course from Aus, and enquired at what time interviews would take place, saying I would be happy to fly home if they could give me enough notice eg a month... so time went by and I get a letter asking me to attend the following week. I rang the admin / mature admin person and she was the most unhelpful cow I had ever dealt with. Just saying if I cant go to the interview then I cant do the course and maybe reapply through other methods.

So I spoke with the head of the dept. He said to send him any additional info (on myself ref, experience etc) as the CAO dont pass on this info (apparently). So I did that and he said he would make a decision based on this info, and it shouldnt be neccessary to interview me, he all but said I had a place but couldnt offically be offered one untill the interviews were finished. About a month ago I got a letter saying I had a place.

Which was great, but I still cant get over the admin person I had to deal with, so dissimissive, unhelpful, couldn't give a rats, more intrested in sticking to procedure and making herself feel important by dashing the dreams of others!! (maybe a bit dramitic, but these people are out there unfortunitly!)

Best of luck and hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SeamusO

Doop wrote: »
    + 1 on what Larianne said, go straight to the head of the dept.

I applied for a course from Aus, and enquired at what time interviews would take place, saying I would be happy to fly home if they could give me enough notice eg a month... so time went by and I get a letter asking me to attend the following week. I rang the admin / mature admin person and she was the most unhelpful cow I had ever dealt with. Just saying if I cant go to the interview then I cant do the course and maybe reapply through other methods.

So I spoke with the head of the dept. He said to send him any additional info (on myself ref, experience etc) as the CAO dont pass on this info (apparently). So I did that and he said he would make a decision based on this info, and it shouldnt be neccessary to interview me, he all but said I had a place but couldnt offically be offered one untill the interviews were finished. About a month ago I got a letter saying I had a place.

Which was great, but I still cant get over the admin person I had to deal with, so dissimissive, unhelpful, couldn't give a rats, more intrested in sticking to procedure and making herself feel important by dashing the dreams of others!! (maybe a bit dramitic, but these people are out there unfortunitly!)

Best of luck and hope it works out for you.

Lads thanks the info i did just that and got an interview today so i just have to wait now..

Regards

• Advertisement

SeamusO wrote: »
    Lads thanks the info i did just that and got an interview today so i just have to wait now..

Regards

Brilliant! As they say, if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)

Advertisement