Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should I have to wait for a response?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I applied for a PhD in February and I sent an email to the college at the beginning of May asking for an update on my application. I was told they would get back to me soon, but I heard nothing more so I emailed again about 10 days ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. I don't know how much longer I should leave it before emailing again, or if I should even email again. Should it take them this long to make a decision? I know they haven't had a lot of applicants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Alliandre wrote: »
    I applied for a PhD in February and I sent an email to the college at the beginning of May asking for an update on my application. I was told they would get back to me soon, but I heard nothing more so I emailed again about 10 days ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. I don't know how much longer I should leave it before emailing again, or if I should even email again. Should it take them this long to make a decision? I know they haven't had a lot of applicants.

What college have you applied to? Trust me this has a baring on how efficient they are (e.g. I applied to Queen's in Feb, interview in March (Paddy's week), unconditional PhD offer by the end of March). I applied to UCD, heard back after five months... fucking ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spartacus1052

I know the feeling, I applied to DCU,UCD, Maynooth and Queens. I got an unconditional offer for PhD in Queens in the space of two months, UCD still havent bothered their arse getting back to me despite several emails:mad:, and DCU say they will let me know by the end of the month. Thing is I have to commit to Queens by the end of the month... so have to wait and see what DCU say. Has anybody taken the PhD programme in QUB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

It's a college in England. I don't really know if I'm doing myself more harm than good with all the emails, but I really need to know.

I had applied to do a masters in UCC a couple of years ago. I think I applied in around April and heard back in October, even though it was supposed to start in September! I had to turn that down because I was waiting so long (and I found something better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Have you been in direct contact with your prospective supervisor? I emailed mine before I even applied (he was the person I really wanted to work with) and he let me know long before I got the official acceptance.

Yeah it was him I emailed last (before that I emailed the grad school secretary), but he just forwarded my email to the head of the department.

• Advertisement

*sigh* I emailed the head of the department over a week ago now and still no reply from him either. I'm starting to panic now...

Advertisement