Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers allowance and the Leaving Cert

• 15-06-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this specific kind of question, didn't know where else to post it though.

After a year of sitting on my backside, I (18) have finally realised how important school is, and although I hate it thoroughly, I need it because I want to make something of my life. Don't blame anyone for thinking I'm quite dense for not realising all this a year ago, but what can I say, I've just matured in the last year and all the spare time has got me thinking about the important things in life.

Anyway, getting to the point, I have two questions:

1) I've 'done' 5th year, but can I repeat it? Through my own laziness, I barely attended last year and have barely any knowledge of the course.

2) Can I still claim my jobseekers allowance? I have bills, car insurance etc to pay for.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

i don't know about the jobseekers allowance, but a girl in my school was allowed repeat 5th year?
    ...she was pregnant during it the first time though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Firstly, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this specific kind of question, didn't know where else to post it though.

After a year of sitting on my backside, I (18) have finally realised how important school is, and although I hate it thoroughly, I need it because I want to make something of my life. Don't blame anyone for thinking I'm quite dense for not realising all this a year ago, but what can I say, I've just matured in the last year and all the spare time has got me thinking about the important things in life.

1) I've 'done' 5th year, but can I repeat it? Through my own laziness, I barely attended last year and have barely any knowledge of the course.

2) Can I still claim my jobseekers allowance? I have bills, car insurance etc to pay for.

Thank you.
    Yes, you can repeat 5th year, many in our school did. As to jobseekers allowance, I don't know, but I wouldn't think so unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thank you.

Some schools have repeat classes where you can cover the course in one year, it sounds like a lot but it isn't when you want to do it. Thats what I'm doing and i know theres people on benefits doing it to. What benefits though i am unsure. Another option could be a deferred loan, or working part time which will net you more than the dole, especially at your age.

FETAC is another option, "youthreach" programs and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You can repeat 5th year but I'd say you're nearly as well off just to go into 6th year. As far as I know you're not entitled to any Jobseekers as you will be in fulltime education if you go back.

Advertisement