Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming Off Anti-Ds

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Posting anonymously for this one.
    I got post-natal depression and I've been on anti-depressants since last October. I was doing okay on them and then a few different things triggered a "backwards step" for me and I ended up feeling worse than ever. I started counselling sessions and came to terms with a lot of things in my life.

I feel so much better now and I have stopped the counselling.
    I would love to come off the anti-ds but not sure if I should, as I'm nervous of reverting back to my old feelings again.
    What are other people's experiences of coming off the meds?
    And how do I go about it? Obviously I have to speak to my doc, but normally - would I be weaned off them gradually or an abrupt cut-out?? (I'm on a fairly low dose anyway!)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

apols for the delay in approving your post OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Hi op,
    I'm so glad you're doing better! And Well done for getting this far!!
    I'm on anti-d's at the minute for Dep/anx. I previously went off them, due to a 'set back'.

Although you say you've stopped with counselling, I would say consider making a few app. with your therapist around the time your Dr. takes you off them. Even just one or 2 while you readjust.

You will have a period of "re-balancing" so bear that in mind, it's not a step backward, simply your body finding it's balance without the meds. Everyone reacts differently, so you may not even notice! I only noticed looking back at it that I was a lil all over the place emotionally.

Clearly it's a decision for you and your Dr.
    I know you say you're on a low dose, but I've always been weaned on and off AD's. Mention all of your concerns to your Dr., the more information they have, the more accurate their advice.

Best of Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

hey im currently coming off my tablets. im taking effexor, was on 125mg then 75mg now im on 37.5mg and im taking them every second day now.

Im finding it difficult, ive been on anti depressants for 5 years though, maybe other meds are different but my doc tells me effexor is notoriously hard to come off. im getting dizzy spells and irritability(some days im fit to kill someone) but the tiredness is the worst. But im nearly finished and ill be weaned off completely soon and then im told the withdrawal symptoms will stop.

Besides the symptoms i feel great (Dont get me wrong i glad of the help it gave me when i needed it) but now my head seems clearer and im happier and proud of myself for doing so well.

The best thing i can say is dont rush it, it will be alot easier if u gradually decrease your dose and obviously your doc will help u. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I took Lexapro (escitalopram) for 4 years, but coming off them was difficult. It took 3 attempts to do it. There will be a noticeable dip in your mood when you come off them, but you have to bear with it and it should lift.

What I advise is to come off them at a defined time, such that you know you will not have anything potentialy stress-inducing elsewhere in your life. Also, make your partner and friends aware of what you are doing (and doctor of course)

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Kevster wrote: »
    I took Lexapro (escitalopram) for 4 years, but coming off them was difficult. It took 3 attempts to do it. There will be a noticeable dip in your mood when you come off them, but you have to bear with it and it should lift.

What I advise is to come off them at a defined time, such that you know you will not have anything potentialy stress-inducing elsewhere in your life. Also, make your partner and friends aware of what you are doing (and doctor of course)

Kevin

not necessarily.

while that may have been kevster's experience, nonetheless plenty people come off them without any such problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Thanks for that sam - I should have mentioned that medication can affect people differently. I guess this is why clinical trials are technically a permanent thing. After a drug is made available for sale, it enters the final stage of clinical trial, whereby it's safety is continuosly monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks a million for all the tips. I think it's true that everyone reacts differently but the key seems to be to do it gradually. I'll be seeing the doctor next week so I'll have a good oul chat with him then.
    Thanks to all of you and best of luck yourselves!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Hi Worryhead

I was on anti-d's for 6 months following bereavement. I had counselling at the same time which really helped, and I kept the counselling going for a while after I came off the pills. It is good to have that support for a few months after stopping the anti-d's IMO. Good luck with it all. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sam34 wrote: »
    not necessarily.

while that may have been kevster's experience, nonetheless plenty people come off them without any such problem

Indeed, I've found that I can get an upswing in mood for about a week to two weeks after I come off an anti-depressant. Just to give an example of a complete counter-experience to kevster. :)

Advertisement