Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband provider in Limerick.

• 15-06-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live out the outskirts of the city on the Old Cratloe Road and i am currently subscribed to 3G which quiet frankly is awfull. Of the five coverage bars available on the panel i mostly just have one.

I am currently using this piece of kit.
    2uzz6sn.jpg

I am in the process of cancelling my contract with Three and would be interested to know if there are any other users in the area and what you would recommend.

Please note that i currently do not have a phone line and i pay €20 a month with three.

Thanks is advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NTL is decent tbh. Magnet is good also.

p.s. That 3 mobile bb gadget isn't really broadband. It's referred to here as midband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Keep clear of Eircom, no matter what they are compelte and utter ****e, I'd recommend using UPC, they have great prices on theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

NTL is decent tbh. Magnet is good also.

+1 on these

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Had Eircom and BT and never had a problem with either other than the they were thieving ba$tards. Have Digiweb now and have no complaints whatsoever either about them, much cheaper than the other 2 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I had a 3 Broadband Modem for a year+ It was my single worst consumer experience without a doubt in every single respect. Coverage, value for money and their dire, excruciating, painful Indian "Support Team" Customer Service Shambles.

- When I gave them notice that I was leaving they kept me on calls to their support line simply refusing to end the contract and threatening to bill me indefinitely until I resorted to threats of legal action / escalation to ComReg etc. - Even then it took 2-3 more 45 min long calls to free myself from their horrible, horrible Organisation.

For what its worth Smart used to be top notch but my connection drops out inexplicably once or twice an hour since they were taken over by new Management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Long time Smart customer here and never had a bother great internet and phone package 2 days outage in 4 years not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Raiser wrote: »
    I had a 3 Broadband Modem for a year+ It was my single worst consumer experience without a doubt in every single respect. Coverage, value for money and their dire, excruciating, painful Indian "Support Team" Customer Service Shambles.

- When I gave them notice that I was leaving they kept me on calls to their support line simply refusing to end the contract and threatening to bill me indefinitely until I resorted to threats of legal action / escalation to ComReg etc. - Even then it took 2-3 more 45 min long calls to free myself from their horrible, horrible Organisation.

For what its worth Smart used to be top notch but my connection drops out inexplicably once or twice an hour since they were taken over by new Management.

I feel your pain Rasier, i spent an hour last Thursday and an hour last night with the same tech support people in India, can you believe one of them suggested that i keep a window open or maybe sit in the kitchen with the patio door open.

I rang them up to cancel last week and they said contact tech support to troubleshoot the problem which i did so i called up again yesterday asking to cancel, i had to call into tech support again last night and then today they advised that i would have to pay a €96 early cancellation fee.

I refused point blank and after much going back and fort they eventually cancelled the contract (albiet i do not have it in writing yet).

The tech people said that it was probably the infrastructure in my house which was the cause of the poor coverage, i live in an estate with 150 other houses.

After the contract was cancelled the agent hung up on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Whatever you do, don't get Digiweb!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I feel your pain Rasier, i spent an hour last Thursday and an hour last night with the same tech support people in India, can you believe one of them suggested that i keep a window open or maybe sit in the kitchen with the patio door open.
    That could work for 3G signals alright if it's purely a coverage issue - Double/Triple glazing is a fecker for reducing the signal. Fine at the moment but not much good to you in January tho!

Even if you have good signal strength, those 3G dongles quickly become useless if there's more than 15 people on the same network within say 2km of you...

Iphones gobble up capacity on the mobile BB networks as well - so, unless you can tap into a neighbour, wired broadband is probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

langdang wrote: »
    That could work for 3G signals alright if it's purely a coverage issue - Double/Triple glazing is a fecker for reducing the signal. Fine at the moment but not much good to you in January tho!

Even if you have good signal strength, those 3G dongles quickly become useless if there's more than 15 people on the same network within say 2km of you...

Iphones gobble up capacity on the mobile BB networks as well - so, unless you can tap into a neighbour, wired broadband is probably best.

Thanks for that lang, i will consider wired broadband but dont want to be forking out €40 odd a month. There are some other signals in the area (neighbours etc) but i have no idea how to tap into them, i tried in the past and it asked me for a password.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Thanks for that lang, i will consider wired broadband but dont want to be forking out €40 odd a month. There are some other signals in the area (neighbours etc) but i have no idea how to tap into them, i tried in the past and it asked me for a password.
    Getting harder (ie into real geek territory) these days with more people switching away from the older Eircom routers. You could have trained a Labrador to tap into the older Eircom routers in the factory setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have Vodafone At Home broadband. 3mb line with 40GB per month download limit, line rental and offpeak natuional calls, all for €40 per month. You have to reboot the router the odd time but other than that it hasn't failed me. And I don't live in the city either, mobile bb is too unreliable in my kneck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

sioda wrote: »
    Long time Smart customer here and never had a bother great internet and phone package 2 days outage in 4 years not too bad :)

+1 on this.

I cried the day I found out that the new house I was moving to couldn't get Smart. :(

Might given them a shout again to see if there's a chance of halving my eircom bill for a better service.

P.S. Does anyone know if eircom have finally implemented proper LLU with number portability ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

i'd get smart if they have got that part of the city covered if not ive upc and they are fairly good and they dont have to install a phone line cos they use fibre optic cable and prices are ok too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Smart Customer and happy out too.

Their Customer support over the phone is rubbish but
    their online fourm where you can write in with issues
    is excellent the tech guys from Smart that read the fourm are of great help if you have any issues.

I signed up as one of the first 100,000 customers
    to get free line rental for life, unfortunatly due to disputes
    with eircom I had to wait an entire year for them to get their equipment working on the local exchange.

Eircom I absoutly hate.

At one stage when Smart were in financhial trouble eircom
    started spreading ****e about the place. I had sales reps call to my door and tell me that I had to switch back from Smart to Eircom and smart were going bust etc, Another Lad in work who had the phone/internet bill under his name said they called to the house he was renting at the time with some bull**** story to his housemate (while he was not there) They convinced the female house mate to sign HIS name on a form to move back to eircom, There was a gas or electricity bill on their table at the time and the housemate noticed after the sales reps had gone that the top of the bill had been torn off. (and was certain one of the sales reps had nicked it)

he went to the Gardai about it to complain. Not sure what ever the outcome was as the lad left the company and moved back to his home town.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bullets wrote: »
    Smart Customer and happy out too.

Their Customer support over the phone is rubbish but
    their online fourm where you can write in with issues
    is excellent the tech guys from Smart that read the fourm are of great help if you have any issues.

I'm with you on Smart, but that is one issue that I have...an online forum is no use if your broadband isn't working.

That said, the only time I had any problem with them over 3 years was when eircom started playing silly buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Another very happy Smart customer here. Never had a problem since I switched over the minute the Dooradoyle exchange was enabled. Moving soon and going to try to stay in Dooradoyle to make sure I can still get Smart. If not its going to be UPC for me. No way I would go back to Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone recommend the cheapest home phone and broadband package available with reasonable quality of service and support?

Am moving away from Smart due to constant daily 5 min long disconnections in the service and also the fact that they don't support SMS over a Landline so my text alerts on my Alarm System doesn't work with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I'm with three for the last 10 months, although I'm using their Huawei e180 dongle, and the speeds are ~300kB/s down and up to 50kB/s upload, I'm quite happy with it
    oh, and I live outside Limerick, Two Mile Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Sorry if digging up old thread is wrong move, but felt it was better than starting 'another' broadband thread for Limerick.

Currently living in rented accom. off N Circular Road and don't have a land line. What package would people recommend for surfing, downloading and maybe gaming (but not totally heavy usage I imagine)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Your only options would be UPC or a mobile dongle, unless you have a really understanding landlord that would allow you to have a Digiweb Metro antennae installed on the chimney. If I were you I'd go with UPC, stay away from dongles, they are the plague.

Advertisement