Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Verb question!

• 15-06-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, quick question for anyone who's nearly fluent!
    How do you know when to put 'a' 'pour' or 'de' or nothing at all infront of a full verb?
    For example, if I want to say, "An oppurtunity to fulfill..." my first instinct is to put 'de' as in:
    une occasion DE remplir...
    Maybe that's right... but I just realised I have no idea how I know, is there a rule I should be following? I know sometimes it's pour and sometimes you need nothing before it.

(preferably answered before tomorrow morning!!)

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

the way the french would say it literally would be "an opportunity in order to
    fulfill"

So you'd write, un occasion afin de "full verb here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

the way the french would say it literally would be "an opportunity in order to
    fulfill"

So you'd write, un occasion afin de "full verb here"

Pretty much. Pour can more or less translate into "in order to", ie in order to eat=pour manger. De is often part of the verb itself, but if not, it's used "as a cause/result", ie mourir de faim=dying of hunger.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

ok, is that a general rule or just for one's like that?
    Just to make sure...(thinking of another example).... if I want to say... "the government must blah de blah to decrease the blah blah"

would it still be "afin de diminuer"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Just to make sure...(thinking of another example).... if I want to say... "the government must blah de blah to decrease the blah blah"

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking... The "cause of/result=de" thing is a rule. De is often part of a verb itself, like arreter de. It is always used when you're using avoir+ noun

As for afin, I don't really recall it being used with de. It's usually followed by the subjonctive. Like for example "Je le ferai afin que nous puissions partir" would be the way to use afin :) (At least the way I learned it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

oh sorry DYETI, I wrote that reply before I saw yours.
    well I'm talking about before a full verb like you're doing something in order to--full verb---
    So going back to the first example, full sentence: it gives the yong people an oppurtunity to fullfill their potential->
    "il donne aux jeunes une occasion ____ remplir leurs potentiel"

'afin de' or 'pour'??

thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Le gouvernement doit agir afin de diminuer
    Le gouvernement doit agir dans le but de diminuer

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

"de" simply means of or from. :D

Advertisement