Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for jobs - no responses

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not that unusual to not get a response at the best of times. Most people hiring are probably swamped with applications at the moment. Not excusing it - I think it's poor manners, but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You should visit your local citizens advice centre. The state will provide you with something.

It may take employers more than a week to get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

No, you're not wasting your time at all. As the above poster said, it may take them time to acknowledge receipt of your application. I'm sure they're swamped with applications at the moment.

Most are very specific tailoring an application with a job so they if they think one's application doesn't suit them in any way you're moreorless cut from consideration.

I know you feel you should at least receive a rejection email etc for every application, but the volumes are too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm with you OP. I've sent out applications everywhere recently - not even a "No we've nothing at the moment" email.
    It's the height of rudeness as far as I'm concerned. It takes all of 2 seconds to set up an auto response, if they are that swamped.
    It's disheartening, frustrating and makes me want to scream AND cry.:mad:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

why dont you send cv's into companies that you wish to work for and also try the newspaper as i said in other posts sometimes the old ways are the best......also when you send your cv in give it a day or two then ring and ask to confirm that they got it shows that you are interested and want to go that extra bit
    as for having no money try going to your local Community Welfare Officer and citizens advice centre they will be able to advise you as to what your entitled to
    most importantly keep your chin up i know its hard but something will come up hopefully sooner rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm afraid this is just a sign of an employers market... Back in the 80's I sent out reams and reams of CV's without reply...
    Even a PFO would be welcome to be honest, not too much to ask really..

just keep at it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

smcgiff wrote: »
    You should visit your local citizens advice centre. The state will provide you with something.

Citizen's Advice is a good suggestion. But the state won't necessarily provide the OP with anything. It depends on a range of factors, including their age and what assets they own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Unfortunately it's the same for everyone. It will get better though. I was sick of my old job and was applying for several jobs a week, heard nothing, then ended up getting 2 interviews in the one week- and an offer from both the next- just keep at it. I have noticed I get better results when I apply for jobs at night, then your application is one of the first emails the company see the next morning. I have also been told (by my new boss) that she only takes the first 50 CVs for one position, she said around 30 of them will not catch her eye- untidy, too long, etc- and then she whittles down the rest. So it's a numbers game too.

Em, I'm being specific at the moment and looking at company websites.I'm old-style, don't like recruitment agencies, don't see the need for them.
    I do float around jobs.ie, publicjobs.ie, loadzajobs.ie, a bit on FAS. I also try to read the business sections of the papers, sometimes you see small articles on companies opening up or expanding or merging....they mightn't advertise obviously, but when you go to their website you might get more info and an application form.
    It's very frustrating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Two years ago I counted that in the space of one month I had applied for 66 jobs.

I got a total of 4 responses saying I hadn’t got the job etc.

I eventually got a job, my 67th application!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'd imagine a week would be very soon to receive a response!

Not every business has the resources to acknowledge every CV received.

If a company is looking to fill a position, chances are they'll be accepting CVs over a period of a couple of weeks. After this, they'll be sifting through them and deciding who to interview - this might take a couple of weeks too, or longer depending on how soon they need/want to fill the position. You're obviously not going to receive an interview offer until this stage, at the earliest.

And a lot of companies have a policy of just not replying to unsuccessful applicants. It's not very nice, and it's frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it. Employers' market, and all that. You could however try a follow-up e-mail/phone call to find out if the position is still open.

Also, bear in mind that there are plenty of excellent, qualified candidates out there who have been applying for lots of jobs every single week for several months now and having no luck with finding one, through no fault of their own. You'll just need to maintain a positive attitude and work on creating the best CV/cover letter you can for every single position that you apply for.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It's not just in Ireland. I was applying for jobs here in New Zealand for weeks. I must have applied for about 40 jobs. I didn't hear back from many of them, I'd say about 8 got back to me but I had two interviews and got offered two positions so it worked out in the end. I was getting very frustrated and helpless too but you just have to keep pushing through. I know it sucks. Just keep at it.

The other day I got two emails notifying me I hadn't been successful in getting called for an interview. I had applied for both jobs almost two months ago. I think I knew I hadn't been succesful at this stage! :)

Best of luck!

I know someone who advertised a job in the paper and got over 200 responses. (by post)

Even if he took a minute to put peoples names and addresses onto a standard PFO it would have taken him half a day to do it.

Yeah, but if they can set up an autoreply to tell you they've received your application and will be in contact, then I'm pretty sure they can send you an autoreply to say sorry, we're not hiring, if they get in that many applications.

I just want to cry thinking of the months of job seeking I have ahead of me and how I'm not even going to get the decency of a "thanks but no thanks" email or anything at all.

It's so disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know someone who advertised a job in the paper and got over 200 responses. (by post)

Even if he took a minute to put peoples names and addresses onto a standard PFO it would have taken him half a day to do it.

Yes but 20/30 minutes would put a group e-mail together saying "PFO", anything's better than nothing..

Advertisement