Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport photos in Limerick?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I need to get new passports for my kids. These days they seem to be very strict on the photos, they need to be a certain size, quality etc. In the old days I would have gone to a chemist and got the photos taken there. Does anybody know if a passport photo taken in a chemist would still be acceptable, and if not is there anywhere else in Limerick I can get passport potos taken?
    (Not interested in a professional photographer, I would guess that they are too expensive!)
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its not that the Photo from a machine won't be suitable/high enough quality - Its more to do with the insane level of varying nit-picking they do at the Passport Office, where you are not even present to query the point......

- Some People now go to Professional Photographers who claim to know what exactly is sure of passing and so advise at the time of taking etc. thus hopefully avoiding having the whole lot sent back in an A4 envelope 3 weeks later unfulfilled.

The whole convoluted system and notion of it would give you Ire; Hopefully they are now on 100k plus overtime in the irritating Passport Office now and can go on rubber stamping our forms at a rate of 4 a day........

Ring a few Photographers and ask for reasonable quotes - should be 10 mins work for them so bound to be one that's not a profiteering #*!x~ Person in the midst of a recession - We got ours on whichever portion of Gerald Griffen St. is closest to Colbert Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I got a new passport last year and I got the photos done in the chemist across the road from the meteor shop on O'Connell street.

The woman who took the photo seemed to know what she was doin as she took the photo 2 or 3 times until she got it right. And then they didn't come out the right size so she had to take them again.

I was a bit annoyed at the time that it was takin so long but, it was worth it seein as I got the passport with no bother. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Hooked

Guidelines available on the DFA website here...

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/photograph%20guidelines.pdf

Page info here

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=257

VERY strict - so go to a chemist that knows their stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

O'Suillivans Pharmacy across from Debenhams and Meteor do them, and they are perefect.

The only problem with taking passport photos is obstructions, Such as you need to have a neutral facial expression (not smiling frowing etc.) you can't be wearing anything that may block your face, and your hair must be back away from your face if you are female, and the photos must be exposed right (not over/under exposed, which would cause them to be too bright/dark to be visable on the passport), But they can get that right no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

i took my fotos my self , just stood infront of the white door took photo and printed it using the passport photo setting on my printer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Took mine and the oh's photo's myself. Magnolia painted wall in our bedroom, just stand against that and don't smile!

Quick resizing, print & cut. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Got my daughters passport there a few weeks ago and got the photos from the booth in the railway station , no problems with them .

Anyone else notice when the passport comes back the photo is black and white ?

jonski wrote: »
    Got my daughters passport there a few weeks ago and got the photos from the booth in the railway station , no problems with them .

Anyone else notice when the passport comes back the photo is black and white ?

I actually didn't :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

the one by meteor seems to be the best in town and dont cost alot either think its about €10 or €15 max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Got my sons one done at Raheen Pharmacy lately - 6 pics for €7.50 afai can remember :D

They will take the pic with a small digital cam and show you the pic to decide if that's the one that you want or not and will keep taking them 'till your happy with your lot. They've got the photo machine then too that they can get the right size and put the head in the exact spot for the passport photo.

All done in less than 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

To be honest, the photo's from the photo booth are perfectly fine. There's one in Superquinn out in Castletroy which lets you look at the photos BEFORE they're printed to let you pick the correct one. I've never gone to a chemist and have not had any problems.

Having said that, I watched the assistant do a photo at Grays Pharmacy (just after The Hurlers bar) the other night and she used a digital camera which had lines on the viewing screen so that she could position the persons head properly. She showed the customer the shot a few times before he picked one to use.

Delphi91 wrote: »

Having said that, I watched the assistant do a photo at Grays Pharmacy (just after The Hurlers bar) the other night and she used a digital camera which had lines on the viewing screen so that she could position the persons head properly. She showed the customer the shot a few times before he picked one to use.

Most digital Cameras do thats, its called the rule of thirds, its used for getting the proper focal point on an image, but it does work very well for getting proper passport photos too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Nothing to do with rule of thirds. :D There's a programme on the machines for the passport photos where there's a head outline that the picture has to be brought forward or backwards to fill completely from forehead to chin and ear to ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

This Site was glowingly recommended on a different thread here on Boards a while back - If it helps just one of you to fly somewhere sunny, drink all day, get sunburnt and vomit copiously on your Flip-Flops then it was worth reposting here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The passport form has a transparent guide on it. I just took mine with a cheapo camera, printed it on the home printer and resized it until it fitted the guide.

Advertisement