Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Science

• 15-06-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I have UCD science as my new first option :D

Anybody else here looking at this course?
    How many points do you think it will be?

Minimum last year was 385!
    Does anyone know if the points for this are on the increase or should they remain around this level for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Victoria. wrote: »

Does anyone know if the points for this are on the increase or should they remain around this level for us?

I'm not going for it myself, but tbh I couldn't see it going up much more perhaps 15 points or so, like it jumped 80 last year so it shouldn't go up that much.
    But I suppose thats the glory of the CAO, you just never know!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah Victoria, Its my no.1 too. I really hope it does level off around the 400 mark. 385 is pushing it for me as it is:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I can see it going up again, people are still being stupid about the recession.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Victoria. wrote: »

Hi Victoria,
    No one can really guess which way the points will go. As I'm sure you know the colleges don't set the points but the students do. There will probably be the same number of places available but if more students put it down on their CAO this year then the points will go up (likewise if less people put it down, they will go down). Over the last few years, science-y courses have not been as popular with LC students. As funding for research is not as abundant now as it was a few years ago and some of the pharma companies are letting people go, some students may not see science as a good move this year.

While you are picking science courses, you should think about where you want to go with it. If you are thinking of an academic career than Universities are a good option for your undergrad. If you want to work in a lab (lab technican/supervisor/pharma/QC etc) then you might be better off choosing an IT/DIT (I'm a DIT and Uni grad myself before anyone shoots me down on this point!). Generally the ITs get more lab based time/practical classes while the Unis have a different ethos.
    Good luck with your choices and don't forget to consider other branches that lead directly to a career (med lab/genetics/chemical analysis etc)

I do science in UCD......

We get quite a bit of lab time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

lc2010 wrote: »
    I'm not going for it myself, but tbh I couldn't see it going up much more perhaps 15 points or so, like it jumped 80 last year so it shouldn't go up that much.
    No one could see it going up by more then 50 points last year. If that jump taught us anything it's that you can't reliably predict the points, they might stay within the same range, they might drop loads and they can easily jump even higher than ever. You shouldn't worry about the points, just concentrate on doing your best and hope that it's enough to get you in.

I know Fad :-) I used to tutor there. As a sweeping general statement (although very possibly things have changed since I graduated!! :)) the ITs get about 16-20 hrs a week lab time. From those I have spoken with on the subject (ex NUI colleges and TCD) I believe the lab time is a bit less. But as I said the ethos is different. The Uni's are trying to turn out future Profs/researchers, and the ITs, laboratory staff.... generally :)
    I'm not putting down either ethos, both worked well for me (IT undergrads and Uni postgrads):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Lawliet wrote: »
    No one could see it going up by more then 50 points last year. If that jump taught us anything it's that you can't reliably predict the points, they might stay within the same range, they might drop loads and they can easily jump even higher than ever. You shouldn't worry about the points, just concentrate on doing your best and hope that it's enough to get you in.
    To gauge the points increase best thing is to look at the demand for the course catagory.

I'd say UCD science will go up 20-30 points, as its 385 and a fairly popular college... I don't have it down, I've got Trinity Science down which is 440 :eek: which I can't see (and hope) going up.

Oh yeah, I'm doing science 'cuz I might do the 4 years and go into graduate medicine... Anyone got advice on this? Or am I better off repeating? I have other courses down, I'd be happy in, that aren't sciencey, but if I don't get a good offer I like would you think it be better to repeat and aim for Med? Sorry I don't mean to be rude asking this here :(

microbio wrote: »
    I know Fad :-) I used to tutor there. As a sweeping general statement (although very possibly things have changed since I graduated!! :)) the ITs get about 16-20 hrs a week lab time. From those I have spoken with on the subject (ex NUI colleges and TCD) I believe the lab time is a bit less. But as I said the ethos is different. The Uni's are trying to turn out future Profs/researchers, and the ITs, laboratory staff.... generally :)
    I'm not putting down either ethos, both worked well for me (IT undergrads and Uni postgrads):)

It is really dependent on your concentration, Biochem/Chem/Med Chems seem to have insane amounts of lab time (Especially in 3rd year, 6 hour labs :eek:), while others seem to have a good bit less.

Oh yeah, I'm doing science 'cuz I might do the 4 years and go into graduate medicine... Anyone got advice on this? Or am I better off repeating? I have other courses down, I'd be happy in, that aren't sciencey, but if I don't get a good offer I like would you think it be better to repeat and aim for Med? Sorry I don't mean to be rude asking this here :(

Think about it this way, repeating is just one year, while science is 4 years., but what you learn in the 4 years could well help you in grad med. It's a double edge sword. Stay well away from Human Health and Disease in TCD though...... meant to be a disaster, and 100% full of people aiming for grad med

• Advertisement

It depends how much you really want it. I know when I sat my LC I desperately wanted to do Medicine (forensic medicine at that.. sad, PAtricia Cornwell has alot to answer for !). I knew I wouldn't get the points so decided to try forensic science. Somewhere along the way I realised I didn;t particularly fancy medicine any way. Long hours, pretty bad pay for the junior doctors and if I found science hard,,what would medicine be like?!
    Only you know how much you want it. The graduate route might be a good option. You'll get a solid grounding in the sciences (especially options like Biochem, which is v hard [for me anyway :)]. You should be prepared for the expense.. and warn your parents ;). You may pick up another subject somewhere along the way that you prefer..
    The problem I see with repeating (especially if you miss medicine by 5 points or something tiny) is what is to say you will make up that 5 points next year. A whole year for 5 tiny points?
    One thing my mammy always says " what's for you won't pass you".

This possibly doesn't help you much..

Other options if you like medicine but may not get in:
    physio, dentistry, neuroscience, genetics, med lab, EMT, nursing..

There are plenty of options.. or do a PhD and you'll be a doctor anyway :)

Fad wrote: »
    Think about it this way, repeating is just one year, while science is 4 years., but what you learn in the 4 years could well help you in grad med. It's a double edge sword. Stay well away from Human Health and Disease in TCD though...... meant to be a disaster, and 100% full of people aiming for grad med

But if I repeat, I know I can get the points necessary for medicine. And I would take up chemistry aswell.
    Would the time I save repeating be worth it? As in hopefully I would get into med if I do repeat.

Or if I get Med Chem or Science in TCD should I accept them, and see what happens? As in I might change my mind about medicine and go into another field? What do you think?

And my CAO has a good variety of courses on it, there is alot I'd be happy with, my science ones are down because I was thinking of doing grad med (cuz I can't have med down itself, stupid guidence counsellers) and they are down 'cuz I like those subjects also... What is it like, are carreers limited?

But if I repeat, I know I can get the points necessary for medicine. And I would take up chemistry aswell.
    Would the time I save repeating be worth it? As in hopefully I would get into med if I do repeat.

Or if I get Med Chem or Science in TCD should I accept them, and see what happens? As in I might change my mind about medicine and go into another field? What do you think?

And my CAO has a good variety of courses on it, there is alot I'd be happy with, my science ones are down because I was thinking of doing grad med (cuz I can't have med down itself, stupid guidence counsellers) and they are down 'cuz I like those subjects also... What is it like, are carreers limited?

Means you'd be qualified as a doctor a lot earlier, Medicine is a long long road to follow, and it sure as hell does not end after your 5 years.

Doing a general course is probably a good idea, means you wont be locked into a specific path. I say accept it and attend the college for a few weeks (Until the point were you can drop out with out loosing free fees) and get a feel for it. I know one person who did that with science and then dropped out to get med, but you could well end up liking it and stay!

Fad wrote: »
    Means you'd be qualified as a doctor a lot earlier, Medicine is a long long road to follow, and it sure as hell does not end after your 5 years.

Doing a general course is probably a good idea, means you wont be locked into a specific path. I say accept it and attend the college for a few weeks (Until the point were you can drop out with out loosing free fees) and get a feel for it. I know one person who did that with science and then dropped out to get med, but you could well end up liking it and stay!
    Hmm, thanks for your thoughts...

I'll have to really think about it, see how the LC turns out and hopefully offers too...

Biology next exam! A1 in that hopefully, love that subject...

Well thanks alot again, and best of luck to all.
    Have a good summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I didn't get the necessary points for medicine first time 'round. I swore i'd never repeat. Started a Biomedical Sciences degree at NUIM last year with the aim of going on and doing Medicine as a mature student. Here I am at the end of my second year repeating the Leaving Cert.

If you really want medicine and don't get it this time then I'd say repeat, I couldn't handle the waiting. I know everyone's different, but i'm speaking for experience here :p

Hopefully you'll do it first time though (As long as you don't take my place ;))

Why couldn't you have medicine down on your CAO (sorry you may have mentioned this but I possibly missed it)?
    Only you know if you should accept them. Can you still do a change of mind on the CAO if you need to? I would take a close look at your CAO choices on both lists and really consider if they are in genuine order of preference. Most students only really consider their first 3 or so choices on their degree list (unless they specifically want a diploma course). This means you generally throw down any old course from 5 or6 down as you don't think it will ever come to that. Always be prepared for the unexpected. There are tons of excellent courses.
    You have mentioned that you like many of your CAO choices, if so, then possibly medicine is not the be all and end all. Before I say the following I just want to say I am not trying to be negative or change your mind- You are obviously a bright studnet if you hope to ace biology. If you go back and repeat you may get the points for medicine, but you also have the random selection to contend to. I mention this as a friend in school repeated, got the points and still missed it. At the time the RCSI was not on the CAO and so she applied, paid the fees and has since qualfied. Now all the med courses are random selection.. it's massive study... and all down to the luck of the draw. It seems that you could be leaving your future to chance and this may cloud your judgement on any place you take up in September with 'what if' syndrome.
    Now career choices: if what you crave is a doctor/patient type role then consider optics, human nutrition, medical measurement (ECG machinery etc), EMT, speech therapy, chiropracter, chiropody... there are literally tons of great careers around the corner. Sometimes it helps to think outside the box, look at your strenghts; you may have the brains for medicine but do you (honestly! :)) have the stomach or bedside manner? Would you make a good nurse?
    I'm really not sure where you'd go with medical chemistry but I presume a clinical lab on a hospital (but you can also do this via biomed science).
    If your looking for future cutting edge careers then maybe consider genetics (stem cell research, IVF as examples).
    Best of luck and I hope you do well tomo

Why couldn't you have medicine down on your CAO (sorry you may have mentioned this but I possibly missed it)?
    Only you know if you should accept them. Can you still do a change of mind on the CAO if you need to? I would take a close look at your CAO choices on both lists and really consider if they are in genuine order of preference. Most students only really consider their first 3 or so choices on their degree list (unless they specifically want a diploma course). This means you generally throw down any old course from 5 or6 down as you don't think it will ever come to that. Always be prepared for the unexpected. There are tons of excellent courses.
    You have mentioned that you like many of your CAO choices, if so, then possibly medicine is not the be all and end all. Before I say the following I just want to say I am not trying to be negative or change your mind- You are obviously a bright studnet if you hope to ace biology. If you go back and repeat you may get the points for medicine, but you also have the random selection to contend to. I mention this as a friend in school repeated, got the points and still missed it. At the time the RCSI was not on the CAO and so she applied, paid the fees and has since qualfied. Now all the med courses are random selection.. it's massive study... and all down to the luck of the draw. It seems that you could be leaving your future to chance and this may cloud your judgement on any place you take up in September with 'what if' syndrome.
    Now career choices: if what you crave is a doctor/patient type role then consider optics, human nutrition, medical measurement (ECG machinery etc), EMT, speech therapy, chiropracter, chiropody... there are literally tons of great careers around the corner. Sometimes it helps to think outside the box, look at your strenghts; you may have the brains for medicine but do you (honestly! :)) have the stomach or bedside manner? Would you make a good nurse?
    I'm really not sure where you'd go with medical chemistry but I presume a clinical lab on a hospital (but you can also do this via biomed science).
    If your looking for future cutting edge careers then maybe consider genetics (stem cell research, IVF as examples).
    Best of luck and I hope you do well tomo

I didn't choose Chemistry which severely limited my options. My guidence counsellers told me that I would not be able to apply for medicine because of this. So I looked into other courses etc.
    Lo and behold in January my guidence counseller walks up to me and tells me that I can do medicine. In UCD, as you attend the 6 year course instead of the 5 if you don't have chem. By then it was too late to put medicine down because of the HPAT etc.

My 10 choices down on my CAO, I've researched and picked all of them carefully. I have 2 Law, 4 science type, Physio, and 3 business.economics courses. I'd be happy with anything on my CAO but I think there might be one or two better courses out there for it. And I'm not sure if I would take 2-3 of my courses on it, depends on my mood, what is going on etc. Like something that is good now, might not be a good option in August e.g Commerce and Italian UCD.

So I don't know. I really would love to be a doctor, I love helping people, I love a challenge and I love that whole area. Biology/Science and Economics two areas I love. Becoming a doctor would be a dream but I'm not sure if its the right way for me, you know. As you said there are alot of other jobs out there, and they all sound appealing. There will be some big decisions to be made!:)

I didn't choose Chemistry which severely limited my options. My guidence counsellers told me that I would not be able to apply for medicine because of this. So I looked into other courses etc.
    Lo and behold in January my guidence counseller walks up to me and tells me that I can do medicine. In UCD, as you attend the 6 year course instead of the 5 if you don't have chem. By then it was too late to put medicine down because of the HPAT etc.

My 10 choices down on my CAO, I've researched and picked all of them carefully. I have 2 Law, 4 science type, Physio, and 3 business.economics courses. I'd be happy with anything on my CAO but I think there might be one or two better courses out there for it. And I'm not sure if I would take 2-3 of my courses on it, depends on my mood, what is going on etc. Like something that is good now, might not be a good option in August e.g Commerce and Italian UCD.

So I don't know. I really would love to be a doctor, I love helping people, I love a challenge and I love that whole area. Biology/Science and Economics two areas I love. Becoming a doctor would be a dream but I'm not sure if its the right way for me, you know. As you said there are alot of other jobs out there, and they all sound appealing. There will be some big decisions to be made!:)

Well it sounds liek you have your head screwed on and all your information checked out. Yes guidance counsellors get it wrong sometimes! They are, in my own experience, poorly informed.
    I actually had accountancy, law and sciencey things on my own form and like that would have been happy with any of them. Between now and August chat to people you know (or on here) and find out what people think of actual courses and colleges. What suits your friends may not suit you. All my school friends went to UCD and I decided DIT was the best course for me. The atmosphere, teaching and lectureres were second to none and I would not have survived in a big Uni like UCD. Think about all the things that will affect your enjoyment of a course. :)

Vet nursing, there's another choice.. lovely :)

Vet nursing, there's another choice.. lovely :)
    :eek::eek::eek:

Wouldn't be able to stomach/patience for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Hi Victoria,
    No one can really guess which way the points will go. As I'm sure you know the colleges don't set the points but the students do. There will probably be the same number of places available but if more students put it down on their CAO this year then the points will go up (likewise if less people put it down, they will go down). Over the last few years, science-y courses have not been as popular with LC students. As funding for research is not as abundant now as it was a few years ago and some of the pharma companies are letting people go, some students may not see science as a good move this year.

While you are picking science courses, you should think about where you want to go with it. If you are thinking of an academic career than Universities are a good option for your undergrad. If you want to work in a lab (lab technican/supervisor/pharma/QC etc) then you might be better off choosing an IT/DIT (I'm a DIT and Uni grad myself before anyone shoots me down on this point!). Generally the ITs get more lab based time/practical classes while the Unis have a different ethos.
    Good luck with your choices and don't forget to consider other branches that lead directly to a career (med lab/genetics/chemical analysis etc)

Its true that a lot of employers want students with the most lab experience and placement experience. I studied Science in UCD and finished 3 years ago. While I loved the course, I found myself overlooked by employers in favour of DIT students and students with industrial lab experience. My advice would be to go with the course that you want to do most, but give yourself the best chance if being employable by gaining as much industrial & academic lab experience during your degree as possible. The academic experience is easy as it comes in the form of practicals but if you hope to work out in the industry and you don't have the option of anything but in-house projects, organise summer lab placements with external scientific labs and whatever you do, make sure you at least get industrial experience (i.e placement within an external scientific lab) when you're doing your 4th year thesis.
    I made this mistake of doing an in-house project when I could have organised an industrial placement instead. This came back to haunt me many times when applying for jobs after 4th year. Be warned! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'm strongly considering Science in UCD, since I doubt I'll get Theoretical Physics (denominated) after my maths exam. I don't think it'll go up too much, but then again, I'm aiming for 450-ish, so I think they'd let anyone that got over 400 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

Made a gigantic mess of French today so that wasn't the best. Was hoping for a B :(

I hope the points level off around 400. Would suit me just fine. It's the suspense that's killing me. No idea how I'll survive until August!

Advertisement