Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about selling my Breitling .

• 15-06-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

The thread last week "Chronographs ! who uses them ? " , got me thinking .

I have a Breitling Montbrillant Olympus , and the only use for the chronograph I've had is for silly things like timing the dinner in the oven . It is a stunning watch in the flesh (so to speak) but sadly it doesn't get much wrist time . It spends most of it's life on a winder because my daily wearer is a lot more robust ( Breitling Headwind ) , has more sentimental value to me and is always the one I reach for in the mornings .

Ramble over , I'm after a little advice .
    I'm thinking of letting it go , so have a couple of questions .

Where is the best place to sell it ? Ebay - I've used ebay for cheap items before , not something this expensive !! .
    Adverts.ie - I've never used it before .
    Any other places ?

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Nope, Datejust is still for sale. Had a few PMs about it, but nothing firm, so taking it to a few dealers in town this afternoon.

Are there watch dealers in Dublin that'll buy pre-owned watches ?

If so , can you list them please . I'm not looking to trade it in for another watch at the moment because I'd probably still keep going back to my Headwind as first choice in the mornings .

What's the best way of working out the value of a pre-owned watch ?

Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Thanks for the info .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Dawson Jewellers on Dawson St and Corr's Jewellers in Powerscourt Centre will usually buy watches, but I was in both yesterday and they would only do trade-in deals, saying they have too much stock. Were giving a good trade-in allowance though, so if you fancy something else they have in stock, you could get a good deal.
    For determining value, check completed listings in eBay and look on the Sales Corners of Watchuseek.com, timezone.com and tz-uk.com and see what they usually go for. Adjust your price accordingly if you are missing boxes/papers or if yours is in need of a service or in poor condition.
    As for where to sell, you can try adverts.ie, but it's not great for high value items. Make sure to post a link to it here. If you are a member of any of the forums listed above, they would be the best place to sell.
    Good luck, it's a beautiful watch! (Don't suppose you'd like to swap for a Rolex DJ ;-))

Dawson Jewellers on Dawson St and Corr's Jewellers in Powerscourt Centre will usually buy watches, but I was in both yesterday and they would only do trade-in deals, saying they have too much stock. Were giving a good trade-in allowance though, so if you fancy something else they have in stock, you could get a good deal.
    For determining value, check completed listings in eBay and look on the Sales Corners of Watchuseek.com, timezone.com and tz-uk.com and see what they usually go for.
    Thanks for the info . If I was to sell it on ebay or one of the watch forums , have you any reccomendations / advice for shipping to the UK ?

Adjust your price accordingly if you are missing boxes/papers or if yours is in need of a service or in poor condition.
    It's in excellent condition , and I have all of the paperwork / documentation and boxes .
    As for where to sell, you can try adverts.ie, but it's not great for high value items. Make sure to post a link to it here. If you are a member of any of the forums listed above, they would be the best place to sell.
    I'll probably put in on adverts.ie and ebay , selling to an Irish buyer would be the easiest option regarding delivery .
    Good luck, it's a beautiful watch! (Don't suppose you'd like to swap for a Rolex DJ ;-))
    Thanks for the offer (an uncle of mine has a Rolex DJ , really nice watch ), but It would probably end up living on the winder , just like my Olympus .
    The plan for the moment is to just keep my Breitling Headwind as an only watch . I might get another dressier watch at a later stage , perhaps a different model from the Breitling Navimeter range .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Shipping is a thorny issue and has come up here before. Here are the basics:
    -An Post will only insure up to €320 to the UK or €50 to the USA.
    -DHL, FedEx, UPS will NOT insure watches or jewellery. It's in the fine print.

So, your options are
    -send it registered with An Post and hope for the best (I've never had a problem)
    -go to Mailboxes Etc, who are brokers for UPS and FedEx. They sell their own third-party insurance at 2% of the value. This is what I do for anything over €1000.
    -if sending to the UK, royal mail allows up to £2500 insurance when sending within the UK. Just pop up to Newry on a Saturday morning and send it from there.

There are 2 ways a package will go missing in transit. One is that it genuinely gets lost somewhere along the way. The second is someone in the chain steals it. Lots of people deliberately undervalue their packages to help stop the second scenario from happening.

Thanks ,

I'm just off the phone to Dawson Jewellers and Corr's Jewellers . They sounded interested .
    I'll call into them early next neek and see what they offer .

I'll probably still put it on adverts and ebay .

Newry is only 25 mins away , so that info on Royal Mail helps .

• Advertisement

I've added the listing for my watch on adverts.ie to the Selling or Swapping Watches & Timepieces thread .

I'll probably list it on ebay as well .

true , I'll see how it goes on adverts first .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

John Brereton on Capel Street used to buy/sell high end watches.

Thanks for the info .

I hope to try a couple of dealers in the next few days .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 misspiggy10

how did you get on? i would like to trade in / sell my watch which needs a battery / service but not sure where to start, wondered what the dealers said?

• Advertisement

I did a deal on Tuesday , watch is sold

Advertisement