Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to this stuff! What to do?

• 15-06-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I am a student and have decided on a whim to try my hand at some photography over the summer and beyond. I will more than likely come into pocession of a pentaz k1000 body very soon and was wondering on what lenses, kit etc I would need? Also where could I locate very cheap film, preferably black and white but I dont mind if its colour? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The thread at the top of the board "FAQs - Read this before posting!!!" has all the answers you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The pentax K1000 is a well capable camera. Incredibly popular in its day too - one which stood the test of time.

In terms of lens(es) you will be looking for older lens that are k-mount also known as "bayonet" type of mount but NOT M42 type (well with an adaptor yes) - the good news here is that k mount or bayonets, are/were very popular and you can pick up some of the older M or A type lenses for surprisingly little. Try looking for a 50mm f1.7 or similar if one doesn't already come on it - they won't be terribly expensive (some even come with a camera attached :)) The other designation to look out for on the lens is that they are A or M type (at least I think the A type is fine) - The A type lens have an aperture ring which on a semi automatic camera body will allow selection of the aperture via a dial on the body. Now the K1000 won't use that setting but you will be able to select the aperture via the aperture ring, just like the M (manual) lens designations). Off the top of my head, for this camera there is no particular advantage of an "A" lens over a "M" lens so if you can get a "M" lens cheaper (which you should) then be happy with that. The only consideration is if you are at some stage going to put such lens on a more modern semi automatic or dSLR camera body, the "A" lens will work for aperture selection off the newer bodies. But if you don't intend going that far then the M lenses are fine and will/should save you a few bob.

Here's a manual for it. It has a light meter too (i think a matrix/scene type) so assuming all is working it will guide you through when correct exposures are obtained.

Focus is a snap with it as its using a split prism similar, I think, to whats on my Pentax Me Super.

For film, sometimes eBay is good for cheapish film deals and watch out in unicare pharmacys as they from time to time hand out 'free film'. For developing, talk to boards user katiemaloe who has discounts for boards photography forum memebers, and there a place in Artane which has a special to develop to Cd for just a few euro.

Have fun with it.

Advertisement