Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cauldron Tofu

Options
  • 15-06-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anyone else was a fan of the Cauldron Organic Tofu in the 250g package, but I was.

It was organic, made in the UK and had a really nice firm texture which worked great in the recipes I used it for.

Cauldron have gone and dropped it completely and replaced it with a non-organic product which I believe is made in the US. The texture of this new product is a lot softer than the old one.

The whole thing looks like a fairly cynical effort to improve profit margins by pushing consumers to this new product without offering them a choice. Well won't be buying this new stuff, so it won't work on me!

The also used to make my favorite veggie sausages. Haven't seen them in a bit, so I'm worried for their existence too.

I used to buy Clear Spot, which is also organic, I guess I'll go back to it. It was a nice tofu, the only thing was it's hand-made quality meant that the irregular shapes could be more difficult to divide neatly - small complaint! :)

Anyone else notice the change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Yes I noticed that too! The old one was nice and firm and it was a nice size, the new one is just a big lump of nothing! The Cauldron tofu pieces were yum too, even though they were full of salt, I haven't seen them for ages.

Tesco and Superquinn don't seem to have much Cauldron stuff anymore, maybe the company is gone to ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Kix wrote: »
    The also used to make my favorite veggie sausages. Haven't seen them in a bit, so I'm worried for their existence too.

Yes those ones were the best, so tasty, the quorn ones are rubbish in comparison but like you've said I haven't seen the cauldron ones in ages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I miss cauldron ones, must look out so nice. Not sure who did the seeded smoked tofu I like, could be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I bought Cauldron sausages recently, I've noticed they sexed up their packaging. I was never the most adept at cooking tofu so I avoided it, didn't notice it wasn't organic anymore!

Absurdum wrote: »

Tesco and Superquinn don't seem to have much Cauldron stuff anymore, maybe the company is gone to ****e.

I was in Tesco Extra in Maynooth at the weekend, and they had a good big range of new cauldron products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thank you for posting this! The new stuff is crap and you can't press it because it's got so much liquid in it!

Is the Clear Spot tofu the same texture? I just miss the texture :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Aoifums wrote: »
    Is the Clear Spot tofu the same texture? I just miss the texture :(

As I remember, it's fairly firm! I'll be getting some this weekend and I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Yes, its been driving me crazy. I usually chop up my tofu and then fry it in a little sunflower oil to get it nice and crispy before I add it to whatever I'm cooking.
    Now though, its like the extra weight is made up of water. It takes agees to fry it and all the water comes out when cooking, and its really hard to get it nice and crispy. Its mostly soggy. I didn't even notice that its not organic anymore.

I don't know where I can get another brand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Bought the Green Spot Organic Tofu in Evergreen in Galway Shopping Center. Initially thought it seemed a bit soft compared to the old Cauldron, but it pressed well and I thought tasted even better when I cooked it.

In Tesco in Maynooth again today, and the cauldron products are gone.
    Must have been a test batch.
    Just Cumberland sausages, tofu and falafel now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement