Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immediate Regional move from Sydney

Options
  • 15-06-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm heading to Sydney in October with my gf, and plan to only spend a few days in the city before heading off to find regional work. We may start near Sydney and work north towards Darwin. Any recommendations about where to look for work and where to head to first? The Harvest Trail site seems to be have very few jobs on it.

Plan is 3 months work then head back to Sydney or Melbourne to find "proper" jobs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

PS I just found this site, looks good for looking for regional jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eightyfish wrote: »
    PS I just found this site, looks good for looking for regional jobs.
    You have to be a member of TAW to apply for the jobs, and it costs $80 to join! By all accounts it's not worth it

Dave! wrote: »
    You have to be a member of TAW to apply for the jobs, and it costs $80 to join! By all accounts it's not worth it

Ah. So does anyone know a good site to look for regional jobs that are open to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Try some agencies. Ruralenterprises.com.au and agworkforce.com.au.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx

Don't tell anyone else about it though, I don't want any competition in 5 months' time when I'm lookin to do it :pac:

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »

Thanks. That's the one I looked at before (mentioned in OP) but it doesn't seem to have many jobs. Mostly looking for drivers.

Gonna just wing it when we get there. Quite excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Hi. I'm heading to Sydney in October with my gf, and plan to only spend a few days in the city before heading off to find regional work. We may start near Sydney and work north towards Darwin. Any recommendations about where to look for work and where to head to first? The Harvest Trail site seems to be have very few jobs on it.

Plan is 3 months work then head back to Sydney or Melbourne to find "proper" jobs.

Thanks.

May not be what you want to hear but anyway... thats just entering summer over here and a summer in the tropics may seem like a nice idea but I reckon your far better off moving south or even west of Sydney first. The northern half of Australia in summer is incredibly humid and brings with it all that humidity brings... mosquitos ets. Summer in the south though is a lot fresher, you'll still get 30-35 degrees and be able to manage it comfortably. Victoria is a major wine and dairy producer and the spring/summer months have plenty of work in vineyards but, having tried that line of work, its something I'd avoid.

I work on a dairy farm, having had no experience before arriving and, some weeks I've made $1200. Its not easy but the money can be made if your willing to put in the effort. The harvest trail site will have more work when the winter finishes and things start growing again.

Whatever you do though, enjoy it.

Oh and get a car if you can afford it.

May not be what you want to hear but anyway... thats just entering summer over here and a summer in the tropics may seem like a nice idea but I reckon your far better off moving south or even west of Sydney first.

I'm going to take your advice, and move south from Sydney on arrival towards Melbourne in October, looking for work in Victoria initially. Thanks for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

I'm going to take your advice, and move south from Sydney on arrival towards Melbourne in October, looking for work in Victoria initially. Thanks for the post.

Heard an interesting take on getting regional work for the 2nd year visa - a job in a winery in the south east would be nice!!
    http://forum.paddysaway.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11&sid=4f3a81098e30a4c3df9b4f0a4d5369d6

Advertisement