Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert Irish for Primary Teaching

Options
  • 15-06-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi Guys,
    You'll probably think I'm crazy but since I graduated from college in 2007 with a 2.2 Hons in Science all I've wanted to do is primary teaching. Currently, I am working in a permanent job earning about 35K per year and even thought they treat me great and it's probably not a bad job in this day and age i'm just not happy. :mad:

I got 415 in my leaving cert but only a B1 in lower level Irish.

I don't want to go to the UK, Please advise me. :(

Thanks you guys, x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Leaving2010

Hi,

I think if you are not happy-go for the primary teaching... i am just after repeating my honours irish to do primary teaching , this is something that i have always wanted to do ..i did my leaving 10 years ago but only got a c in ordinary irish...i decided last year to repeat honours irish, it is ALOT of hard work... i went to grinds privately for the last 9 months and i also got alot of help from my friend who is an irish teacher...it is achievable but as i said involves a savage amount of work..i studied every day for 9 months as there is sooo much course to cover and i hope my hard work pays off now..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ms.Forbes

Hi,

I think if you are not happy-go for the primary teaching... i am just after repeating my honours irish to do primary teaching , this is something that i have always wanted to do ..i did my leaving 10 years ago but only got a c in ordinary irish...i decided last year to repeat honours irish, it is ALOT of hard work... i went to grinds privately for the last 9 months and i also got alot of help from my friend who is an irish teacher...it is achievable but as i said involves a savage amount of work..i studied every day for 9 months as there is sooo much course to cover and i hope my hard work pays off now..:)

ya i repeated Honours Irish too cause want to do primary teaching... but from next year onwards it will be really simple because 40% of the marks are going for the oral! i mean come on thats an insult to people like us who had to work so hard to get the requirement!

yes but i heard the oral will be changing next year as well as it will be worth alot more, so might not be as easy as u think ..anyway at least we have it over us now.. how did you get on ? thought paper 2 was nice enuf apart from an triail ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ms.Forbes

yes but i heard the oral will be changing next year as well as it will be worth alot more, so might not be as easy as u think ..anyway at least we have it over us now.. how did you get on ? thought paper 2 was nice enuf apart from an triail ...

What? I thought that was fine! we knew it was going to be there beforehand!

Overall very pleased!
    All the right questions came up even Peig Sayers and she hasn't come up since 2005!

But i think no matter how good one studies the comprehensions and the listening will always be a gamble its a hit and miss!

pretty serious gamble too - 170 marks!

How did you find the essay? One thing our teacher has never explained is do you get marks for the essay for showing off really good quality Irish even if it isn't really relevant to the question asked? What do you think?

Hey did you know provided you got at least 100/150 in the oral

you now only need 227/450 to get a C3

Cause 327/600 =54.5% = 55% = C3

Essay went perfect... my grinds teacher is an examiner so she had given me excellent essays ...was delighted with it..i think i was just lucky to have such a great grinds teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

did you do the interviews then for the mature entry into st pats or Mary I. I did and am still waitin on word. reading on the boards here it seems that those who had interviews were offered places pretty much within the week. Is this a bad sign if i havent heard anything yet? so nervous. i re-sat the leaving there last year and thank god i got it. the wait is killing me though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hotais wrote: »

I got 415 in my leaving cert but only a B1 in lower level Irish.
    I keep mentioning this to people in your predicament ... I'll be accused of spamming it yet! :P

Basically it is a part-time evening diploma in Irish offered by NUIM at a couple of locations, including St. Pat's Drumcondra.

It satisfies the Irish requirement for teaching instead of the LC Hons, and you could easily do it while continuing to work.

Plus it has much less emphasis on literature, and more emphasis on oral and written Irish, so people returning to Irish as mature students tend to find it a lot more accessible!

did you do the interviews then for the mature entry into st pats or Mary I. I did and am still waitin on word. reading on the boards here it seems that those who had interviews were offered places pretty much within the week. Is this a bad sign if i havent heard anything yet? so nervous. i re-sat the leaving there last year and thank god i got it. the wait is killing me though!!

Yes only did Interview for Mary I last thursay so i doubt very much they would get back this soon, they did say by the end of June..
    I wouldn't worry it hasn't even been a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I keep mentioning this to people in your predicament ... I'll be accused of spamming it yet! :P

Basically it is a part-time evening diploma in Irish offered by NUIM at a couple of locations, including St. Pat's Drumcondra.

It satisfies the Irish requirement for teaching instead of the LC Hons, and you could easily do it while continuing to work.

Plus it has much less emphasis on literature, and more emphasis on oral and written Irish, so people returning to Irish as mature students tend to find it a lot more accessible!

Absolutely a good idea to consider this. Afaik its also outreached to St Ciarans college in Kilkenny. Also NUI Galway and UCC have similar courses which have the same recognition by the DES for the B.Ed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Absolutely a good idea to consider this. Afaik its also outreached to St Ciarans college in Kilkenny. Also NUI Galway and UCC have similar courses which have the same recognition by the DES for the B.Ed etc.
    Absolutely correct, I was going by the fact that the OP's profile says "Dublin". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Absolutely correct, I was going by the fact that the OP's profile says "Dublin". :)

:D
    Ah well, as Nigella Lawson 'never knowingly under-caters' Paperclip never knowinlgly under-informs.'
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 earmuffs08

Leaving2010-would you mind me asking roughly how much you paid for grinds and what part of the country you are in? Did you do your grinds from Sept-June?
    I'm also hoping to repeat the Leaving, my Irish is awful though so would need all the help I can get! I looked into the Institute of Ed for repeating but it's very expensive and I think I would prefer the one on one from the grinds.

Many thanks,
    Caroline

Wasnt online for a few days there, grinds cost 20 euro for an hour, i am in donegal..got 1 grind per week but also my friend who is an irish teacher helped me alot , which i got for free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

What If I can't even read this page? :( Makes me sad how crap I've become at Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

siobhan ni wrote: »
    Hi all - for those of you who wish to repeat LC honours Irish 2011 I am starting a course in Blackrock Co. Dublin and Ennis Co. Clare starting September 2010. Last year I had a sucess rate of 100% and expect the same this year. The group will not exceed 10 students. I am a qualified teacher/lecturer and also an oral Irish examiner with the Department of Education. You can contact me on 087 9333131 - www.frenchschool.ie.
    Siobhan

Hi SIobhan,
    Sounds good... few questions tho. I'm from Donegal so wouldn't be able to make it every weekend... Will I still be able to do it?
    COst?
    I have poor irish... Like I feel if I went back now I'd have difficulty getting a D in pass. Can u help even me?!?!

Advertisement