Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Experiment Copies

• 15-06-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

*Experiment
    How strict are the examiners with Biology Experiment Copies? As in, will they forgive one or two experiments missing, conflicting results between the students (our teacher didn't have time to go through them all, so we've been left with about five to do on our own), not including an "Application" section, or just being generally not explaining things very well (but it was obvious that you did do the experiment)?
    My school hasn't had an inspection of experiment copies for years, so we're well overdue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I'm open to correction, but i'm almost sure any inspections will have been carried out weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Oh god don't scare me. I don't do chemistry in school. If there's an inspection I'm fooked :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

my bio teacher said weve never had one in our school so im not about to start worrying xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I'm open to correction, but i'm almost sure any inspections will have been carried out weeks ago
    They have nothing at allll got to do with the final exam!
    Nothing! They are just there as a place to write up your experiments. The copies themselves have no value, in terms of %%
    Just make sure you know your experiments for the Section B part...

I know that, I was merely attemptig to reassure the OP that were an inspection to take place it would have happened already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I know that, I was merely attemptig to reassure the OP that were an inspection to take place it would have happened already...
    Apologies I was supposed to quote the OP's text in my reply...

Sorry BarnhallBull...

U19s Barnhall??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

Nothing! They are just there as a place to write up your experiments. The copies themselves have no value, in terms of %%

As far as I know they are worth 20%, which you either get or you don't, no grading done on it.

And to BarnhallBull, they're checked on the day of the exam.

Nah i'm an old crock who had to pack it in a couple of years ago :(

20%? Surely not so high? How can they justify docking a student/class that much when 90% upwards of students don't even have their copies examined!? If that's true i'm stunned.

20%? Surely not so high? How can they justify docking a student/class that much when 90% upwards of students don't even have their copies examined!? If that's true i'm stunned.

I found it strange too. I'm open to correction as I've only been told by other students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

They are worth nothing in terms of your leaving cert grade.

They checked my school last year and a few years ago. We have to leave all our folders in school because they are checked throughout the summer - nothing will happen to your grade. Dont worry =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

NR wrote: »
    As far as I know they are worth 20%, which you either get or you don't, no grading done on it.

And to BarnhallBull, they're checked on the day of the exam.

On Thursday like? Where'd you hear this?

I'm not going on any certain facts but I'll stick my neck out and say that's incorrect.

Anyway OP, chances are extremely slim that you'll be inspected, i'd imagine there's have to be a warnig if they're checked on the day of the exam as plenty of students wouldn't have their books with them on the morning of the exam. And if there is advance warning it kind of defeats the purpose of the check anyway.

Hmmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

I can say with complete fact that statement is completely false. For the leaving cert your experiment copy is worth nothing the only thing that the experiments have to do with anything is the 60 marks in section B. The department may check copies but it has nothing to do with you and is more testing has the teacher covered the syllabus.

For the junior cert there was marks going for experiments i think you got 5% for having the entie copy done and 15% for the experiments you had to design yourself.

I repeat your folder with experiments is worth 0 marks its just notes for your own benefit for section B

PARARORY wrote: »
    They are worth nothing in terms of your leaving cert grade.

They checked my school last year and a few years ago. We have to leave all our folders in school because they are checked throughout the summer - nothing will happen to your grade. Dont worry =)

Ah that's good to know then.
    On Thursday like? Where'd you hear this?

That's what my teacher said. But Pararory's post says otherwise.

That's what my teacher said. But Pararory's post says otherwise.

Thats just what my teacher said - also on rte 2fm the teacher said that now at this stage ( he said this a week ago ) we should all have our experiments at home so we can study them - if our folders are meant to be in our houses... the SEC wont be able to inspect them clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

isn't the inspection on copies to see if the teacher is conducting her duties right? i.e. getting people to write up experiments.
    they've no effect on us FACT.

has everyone else given up their exp copies?

isn't the inspection on copies to see if the teacher is conducting her duties right? i.e. getting people to write up experiments.
    they've no effect on us FACT.

Yeah i meant to put that in my last post. In some schools apparently they dont actually do the experiments - they just write them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

my copy is in the bin..... lol
    i only have notes on exps
    and section b in the exam is worth 15%.. but you have to know them and answer the questions on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Experiments are worth nothing. The only time they'll come into play is if your exam is lost, which won't happen.

I have my book here in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Our class doesn't even have experiment copies... (And we have a brilliant teacher)... So I don't think that they are important towards grades. maybe teachers just tell you that because they want you to get it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

THANK FUUUUUUUUUUN !!!!!!!!!

The thread title made my heart stop for a second.......:D:D

Advertisement