Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Plywood

Options
  • 15-06-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone suggest where i can buy sheets of 4mm marine plywood?
    Im planning on making a canoe and want to see how much its all going to cost.

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brookes do marine ply I think. Ask Jim Horgan who makes those frankly well lovely wooden boats you see in Barna and Spiddal every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If Brooks don't have it in stock, they can get it for you within a few days.
    They definitely have it in thicker sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I doubt that 4mm marine ply will bend to the required radius for a canoe. I would think that the structure of ply wouldn't allow it.

Have you seen it done before? Marine ply isn't cheap, I'd like to see an example of a canoe built this way, and have a chat with the builder of such a boat before embarking on such a build.

Forgive my doubts if your an accomplished shipwright.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

bloo wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone suggest where i can buy sheets of 4mm marine plywood?
    Im planning on making a canoe and want to see how much its all going to cost.

thanks

Hey,

A mate of mine is currently building a kayak, he sourced his marine ply in kerry soonwhere, I'll ask where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Corrys in Oranmore also do it, ring around and check all the builder providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Thanks for the replys, ill give brooks a try.

Im certainly no shipwright, but i thought id have a go at one of these kits
    http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk/plans/freeplans.html apparently they are simple enough to do and the canoes only need a few sheets of ply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Alright, I see you will be working with plans, that's a different story!

Best of luck with it, post up some pictures of the finished article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K3v1nmn

I realise I am months behind on this thread but I recently bought 8'x4' sheets 4mm thick "Okoume", marine-Plywood, In "NAME REMOVED" Their located in the an industrial estate in North Dublin. they also do "West Systems" epoxy and various fibre glass cloths. They do a "sapele" marine plywood, I think (its dark like walnut) but its 100 euro a sheet, compared to 50euro a sheet for the Okoume which is blonde in colour.
    I dont know how far on you are in your build, but Im just after finding out from my own experience that if your varnishing or painting the epoxy your best off using a "2 part Varnish or paint," as the stuff you buy off the shelf in woodies or b&q wont dry for love nor money. Even tho the epoxy might say it will, as it did my case. That said i think if you leave the epoxy cure for a few months and then apply the one part stuff it might, but I was never blessed with patience's. You can get the 2-part stuff in "NAME REMOVED" too, just to save a trip. Its expensive tho, 44euro for 0.75ltr tin, But they gave me a good discount when I bought all the stuff in 1 go, 10% I think.
    Best of luck with the Build, Id love to see pictures if your done.

ps I just got my kayak in the water at the weekend, and its worth every minute sanding, its a great buzz!! I would highly recommend doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

World's worst shill attempt :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K3v1nmn

Yeah reading it back it sounds like that alright, but no to be honest I wouldn't overly recommend NAME REMOVED. The first time I got stuff off them they left me about 20m short of a 3" fiberglass tape, fairly annoying, especially when I had paid for 30m, only got 10 and had to drive 80miles round trip to get what they left me short. never mind the time it took to get and that it delayed my project over a week.

Also I put dulux yacht varnish on my boat after waiting over a week for the epoxy to dry (the epoxy manufactures recommended 2 days) and after 3 days the varnish was still tacky. I bought the varnish in woodies and went in to ask what might be the problem, only to be told that they didn't know why it wasn't drying but it wasn't anything to do with the varnish. I WAS NOT HAPPY. They wouldn't even ring dulux for me to ask. Heel of the hunt I rang dulux, they didn't know what was wrong and told me to ring the epoxy crowd. I did this and found out i needed to use a "2 part varnish," which they didn't mention anywhere on their literature. Again I wasn't very happy but at least I knew what was wrong. I then drove the 80miles again to NAME REMOVED to get a tin of varnish, to be kind of laughed at for using the normal stuff and to be told you can only use 2-part varnish, which was very annoying not to be told at the outset when i bought all my other materials off them! But in their defence how would they have known i was a complete novice, still very annoying.

I only put up the prices and the location as thats what the original post was looking 4, and I mentioned the varnish because its better than finding out the hard way! believe me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know why someone would recommend a place in Dublin on the Galway forum?
    Does sound like a shill, name removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement