Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolios for Interviews these Days

Options
  • 15-06-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

It's been a few years since I did an interview and I was just wondering what the current trend, in terms of a portfolio, that companies are looking for these days. I'm a graphic designer and the position mostly concerns print.

The last interview I did I used a massive A1 portfolio case but I think even then that sort of thing was going out of fashion, so to speak. Maybe a smaller, A3 or even A4, would be more appropriate? I also had most of my work mounted; is it better to just have loose finished samples? Or should I dispense with the case altogether and simply use a laptop and pdfs to show my work?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You need an online portfolio.

CargoCollective.com is a good cheap site for that - highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The last interview I did I used a massive A1 portfolio case but I think even then that sort of thing was going out of fashion, so to speak. Maybe a smaller, A3 or even A4, would be more appropriate? I also had most of my work mounted; is it better to just have loose finished samples? Or should I dispense with the case altogether and simply use a laptop and pdfs to show my work?

Its been four(?) years since my last one and that was CD only. When I sent in my resume/cv it was just a link to my webpage too.

I think if you have anything where detail or texture is important its good to carry the big old portfolio but i'd keep it to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I think you need a print portfolio as well as a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stvcummins

I carried an A4 portfolio in to my last interview with samples of my best print & ID work & screengrabs of my best web work. Had everything up on website which the interviewer (my current boss) had a look through before hand.

I'd recommend a small A4 portfolio because it's handy to carry, most stuff will fit inside unless it's a big piece, which you can just slot into a suitably sized envelope & carry too. There's no substitute for showing a prospective employer printed samples of your work if you're a print designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I reduced everything I had to A4. Its great in an interview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement