Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese traffic ban/ site is currently suffering brute force attack

Options
  • 15-06-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi

If anyone had good recent .htaccess code for repelling Chinese traffic I’d be very grateful.

My site has been under constant brute force attack since last week and today they’ve managed to get the fanaccountblogger.com javascript code into the index.php file.

I had updated the .htaccess file a couple of times in the last week but it does not seem to have helped. They are blitzing the site constantly. Very frustrating.

Any other advice welcome…. I’ve already changed FTP passwords.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's a very apropos question&answers session on serverfault about that:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/20667/equivalent-to-denyhosts-but-for-http-requests

The best suggestions were ModSecurity, fail2ban and OSSec. Personally, I think fail2ban would be the better match for you - it scans the apache error log and updates the iptables rules to block offending IP addresses - and it looks like you can run it so that an attack on one web node can result in all web nodes blocking that IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

Cheers

Just spent the last number of hours going through the site. about 40 .js files compromised.

fail2ban looks good thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Make sure you check your .htaccess file too (if you have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Cheers

Just spent the last number of hours going through the site. about 40 .js files compromised.

fail2ban looks good thanks.

Sorry can I ask what you mean by "compromised"?

As in they've edited malicious code into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, either that or they've replaced the files with their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

SirDarren wrote: »
    Sorry can I ask what you mean by "compromised"?

As in they've edited malicious code into them?

Inserted code into all the .js files to redirect visitors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Trivarion

http://www.blockacountry.com/

Use this excellent site. It autogenerates a .htaccess file. I've had to use it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If possible, blocking IP ranges using a firewall would be better than using a .htaccess file (i.e. before TCP and HTTP sessions are started).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jUNK

Geo ip lookup plugin to block visitors from certain countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

FruitLover wrote: »
    If possible, blocking IP ranges using a firewall would be better than using a .htaccess file (i.e. before TCP and HTTP sessions are started).
    Which is pretty much what fail2ban is designed to do. You run the server on the firewall and the clients on the web nodes behind the firewall and they pass on the suspect IPs to the firewall, which modifies its iptables setup to block them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Trivarion

FruitLover wrote: »

You're right. I assumed he may be using shared hosting, or not have those privileges.

Advertisement